Homestrand Mariner sintered filter, how to clean?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, Jan 20, 2018.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Going thru the last of my stoves to give them a annual firing if they have not been out in the field the last year. On my Homestrand stove with alcohol burners, the one side barely runs. No way to remove the sintered type filter at the bottom of the threaded section, it looks like a permanent fixture. Does not look like it could be pried out as a assembly. Any way to clean it out? MSR says to heat theirs up and dunk in cold water, no way to remove the one on this stove. I used compressed air from the nipple side. I took the spindle out to check for debris and it is buggered up some on the tip. Good fuel flow to the burner. These are straight alcohol burners, not ones that can be converted to kero, other wise I would have put my 1915's on by now.
    Duane

2. Montero

Is this filter expendable ? Its possible to drill into it ?
    Regards

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Maybe, part of its engineering I think to reduce surging. Don't know if I could then replace or add brass mesh or if the alcohol would attack it.
    Duane

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Soak in carb cleaner then blast with compressed air? Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner?

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'd like to get a ultrasonic cleaner sometime.
    Duane

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

@Montero, I had nothing to lose, so drilled out the filter. Broke one bit, then used a larger bit, filter came out on the bit then. Rolled up some mesh I had and stuck it in the hole. Stove works, not exactly like it should, but at least works. Will try less pressure to see if that does anything as the other burner surged some.

Brought up an old post by @Doc Mark where he was able to clean his.

Duane

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Duane,

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your experience in getting that filter out of the Meths burner. I was wondering if the post of mine that you mention, was when I was cleaning the sintered brass filters from some MSR stoves? Can you measure the size of the filter you removed? I wonder if the one once made by MSR would fit the Homestrand Meths burners? Hummmm....?? Talk later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Two different sizes, this one is more slender per pic, MSR ones are more compact.
    Duane

PS: 4mm/3/16" X 14mm/1/2", with the metric size more accurate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018