Homestrand NRV help

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by elcarlstono, Sep 14, 2020.

1. elcarlstono

Hi, I picked up a couple of Kenyon Homestrand alcohol stoves a couple of weeks ago; one a 205 and the other a 126.
    I've replaced the cap gasket on both and pulled out the NRV on both. I have opened one of the NRV's and replaced the pip but it is still letting air out. The NRV only contained a spring and the rubber pip; didn't see a brass nipple thingy for the pip.
    Any advice on refurbing the NRV's. Would rather not pay $20x2 plus $12 shipping if I can avoid.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@elcarlstono ,

Did you replace the lead gasket underneath the NRV? If not, they most certainly need to do that. Then, make sure you crank down fairly firmly, when re-seating the NRV. That should do it, me thinks! Good luck, and let us know how it worked out.

Doc

3. elcarlstono

Um, considering i was not aware of the presence of a lead gasket, I'll wager the answer to your question is "no". :D
    Let me take a look and thanks for your reply.
    Tips for getting it out?

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

You mean the old lead gasket? If so, I'd just leave the remnants in place, and screw your new lead washer down onto it, cranking down until it seats firmly. Usually, when you buy a new NRV, you get the tiny lead gasket along with it. But, some stoves came without them. Either way, I always replace that part, if their is any leakage, at all. Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber