Hovik Verk Primus 41

Discussion in 'Primus No:41' started by Bom Bom Bom Bom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bom Bom Bom Bom

According to the Hovik Verk write-up in the Manufacturers section they made stoves for Primus between 1953 and 1961. Although undated, this stove must date from that time.

For once I actually remembered to take "before" pictures of this well used and extremely oily stove that took some cleaning up:

1238664365-PC290084_opt.jpg 1238664376-PC290085_opt.jpg

The stove came without a flame ring and the rest of the shots here include one borrowed from a 111.

And here's the "after" (note I forgot to include the windshield in the shots):

1238664265-P3310049_opt.jpg 1238664295-P3310050_opt.jpg 1238664324-P3310051_opt.jpg

Only the tank has any reference to Hovik Verk. The rest of the components are branded Primus:

1238664195-P3290042_opt.jpg 1238664233-P3290046_opt.jpg 1238664253-P3290047_opt.jpg

The stove includes a heat shield for the tank that I've not seen on other versions of this stove posted in the Primus section. This is obviously original as it is well branded, but I wonder if this was specific to the Hovik Verk version?

1238664213-P3290045_opt.jpg

If you have difficulty reading this it says:

"Primus
    No 41 Sport
    for Turbruk
    for Petroleum"

Petroleum in this instance refers to Kero per the Scandinavian fuel naming. Can any of the Scandinavian members throw any light on what "Turbruk" means. I've Googled it and plugged it into a number of online translators without conclusive results. From some of the Google results is it something to do with Winter Sports or Cross Country Skiing?

I had some fun and games with the spindle. As can be seen in the pictures below, the teeth that engage with the cleaning needle were not serviceable. However, the control knob end consists of six splines rather than the 111 type square section. The 41 spindle is also around 12mm or so shorter than the 111 spindle so a direct replacement was not possible becuase as well as the splines, the control knob on the 41 also has a sleeve that screws onto a threaded section of the stuffing box to secure the control knob whilst the stove is in use:

1238664163-P3240038_opt.jpg 1238664172-P3240039_opt.jpg

So I had to shorten a spare 111 spindle, then cut off the control knob end of the damaged 41 spindle and braze the two pieces together. Rather than just trying to butt the pieces together I also made a short saw cut across the end of each piece and inserted a fillet of brass and then brazed the whole lot together. This appears to have resulted in a nice strong joint. Here's the result:

1238664183-P3280041_opt.jpg

And finally, here it is up and running, this time with windshield included in the shot. Turning the stove up higher than this results in a small leak from the jet to burner connection so I need to dismantle and see if I can reseat it better or if I have any small burrs etc. Should be fixable.

1238664350-P4010058_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Very nice & surely a real rarity. I've had the Primus version with the heat sheild - aluminium from memory.

I rate this more than the 111's.

I have a silent one I'm currently fettling & was lucky enough to find a brand new tin at an army surplus store.

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Ross,

The tank heat shield on mine is definitely steel.

They are nice stoves and the pot supports are far superior to the 111. Lucky man with a silent version - certainly on my wish list!

I've wondered what the thick wire loops are for on the front of the stove. I've sort of assumed these could be used as attachment points for hanging on a rucksack or utilising a carrying strap of some sort? Is this correct, and if so did it come with straps when new? Or are they for some other use completely?

4. Dutchmike

Hello Graham, impressive brazing job! How is that heatshield attached, and to what? If it had/has some real purpose like deflecting heat from a (big) pot then I wonder if anybody has experienced over-pressurizing whilst in use.
    Mine has a nickled tank - that should help deflecting heat - and a silent burner; it dates from 1953. I believe this model is a 50's-only model, or are there older stoves among us?
    Regards, Mike

5. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Mike,

The heatshield is attached via two small wire rings to the the pot stand. It's not a tight fit and allows the heat shield to be folded down when the stove is packed. There are two small holes drilled on each side of the left hand end of the pot stand to fix the heat shield to it. I guess if you have those two holes present then it means your stove would originally also had the heatshield.

Cheers,

6. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

Congratulation with a nice find :clap:

"Turbruk" is a compound noun made of "tur" and "bruk".
    "Tur" means "hike" or "camping", "bruk" means "use".
    "for turbruk" = for use on hike or camping.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Ross, and All,

Ross, if that Primus 41 to which you are referring is the one you so kindly sent my way, yes, the heat guard is, indeed, aluminum. I dearly love that stove, too! Thanks, again! And, as much as I love the 111 Tribe of stoves, as a family, I have to agree that, in my opinion, the Primus 41 is a better stove. Great stove, in fact!

Graham, outstanding job of fettling, and your brazing skills are, indeed, top notch! I can only aspire to hack my way through something that you have done with competance, grace, and style!! WELL done!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful 41, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Doc and all,

Thanks for all the compliments. I would have to say that a highly optimised 640x480 picture does serve to flatter when it comes to the braze job I did. Having said that I'm very pleased that it worked out and it is a good strong joint. It would probably provide Master Brazer Lance with some entertainment if he saw it up close though :lol:

Luckily with the 41 the spindle isn't on show in the same way as a 111 so my handiwork is nicely tucked away never to be seen again until another major fettle is required, and then hopefully not because the spindle has broken in two!

And Arne, many thanks for the translation!

9. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

My guess is that they are for leather straps...

10. Spiritburner

That may be the case for the roarer variant. The earliest ref I have for the 41 silent is in the full Primus product catalogue for 1945. Then it's gone in the 47 edition. The 341 is still there however which is the alcohol version & again in 1948. My other references are all 1950's.

The 45 model had the heat reflector but it is not shown on the 341. My unlit roarer 41 from 1955 doesn't have one & my 1951 silent doesn't either but it does have the holes to take one so it's missing or discontinued.

Doc - what year was the one I sent you?

The loops are indeed for straps;

1238708168-001.jpg

11. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Whoo-Hoo !
    I finally got something right!

12. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Ross,

Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of attaching to a bike. Such a simple idea, and given that Terry Clips had been around for a while it's surprising Primus never extended that to the 96 and 210 "Sport" versions given they also have the more robust tin.

13. Spiritburner

If Primus didn't, Condrup did - sort off. I'll post more detail after St George's day

14. Bom Bom Bom Bom

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Ross, and All,

That wonderful Primus 41 you so kindly sent my way, is from 1955. This stove is one of my most favorite, and if pressed and I simply HAD to, I could do away with all my 111's, and be very happy with this Primus 41!! Thank God in Heaven, I don't have to make such a decision, though!! [-o< 8) ;) Most of you have seen this photo before, several times, but hey, here it is, again:

OOOpppss..... Hummmmm, for some reason, the server now things this photo is too large. I've posted it several times before, however. Oh, well. Don't have time to mess with it, right now, so I guess you'll just have to think back to it. It was the shot of my boiling up a nice cuppa' Earl Grey on the 41, after a hard morning's work with the chainsaw and a pile of oak firewood! Sorry about the lack of photo. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. Spiritburner

There you go Doc!

We have file size limits to save server space but provide an online image optimiser now in case people don't have the required software to compress images for the web.

Nice kettle!

1238797947-DSCN1317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  17. Skauvill

Skauvill Subscriber

Real nice work! Real nice color seems real close to the original. Please let me ask; What type of color do you use on this?:D/:roll:
    Br
    Skauvill