How did it all start !?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hobby 123, Mar 3, 2016.

1. 111T

111T Subscriber

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Good video. I enjoyed it.

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, 111T,

Loved your YT video on your first involvement with stoves! Very cool, and lots of fun. Thanks for taking us on your journey to being a Stovie! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Doc Mark

Morning, All,

I came to stoves after reading some of the early camping and canoeing books that could be had in the 1970's. Before that, we used wood fires for any and all cooking whilst camping. Yeah, as I was in the Boy Scouts in the 1950's, we all did make the Boy Scout "Hobo Stove", but to me it was not worth the effort, and I never considered it a real stove!! First came a Coleman 425, which I bought through the kind auspices of a very old and dear friend, who got me a discount at his work place, "Monkey Wards" (Montgomery Wards), where he worked. I fell in love with that stove, and it's ease of use, power, and simmering abilities abruptly ended our cooking over fires, straight away, most especially when car camping!! But, I yearned for a smaller version, and after reading Clint Jacobson's book on canoeing and suitable equipment for such adventures, I got my first Coleman Model 400. Had some problems with that first one, but the store where it was purchased immediately gave me another one, and that stove is still working to this very day!! Then came Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker series of books, and well, Ol' Colin, whom we consider our true "Backpacking Guru", let the cat out of the bag about many other stoves, i.e., the SVEA 123, MSR X-GK, Optimus 00, and many others. After finding a very nice SVEA 123 at "that same old swap meet", many, many years ago, I was hooked, completely, and in fact, swallowed hook, line, and sinker, when it came to stoves!!! I began to seek out other stoves, and my goal was to, eventually, have every single camping/backpacking stove that was ever invented and sold!!! Now, some 600 stoves later, I realize that this goal was rather unattainable, and that I'll never have "every single stove". No worries, as I no longer care about that, and instead, continue to concentrate on gathering, fettling, and enjoying those stoves which really peak my interest, and hence, my desire to own them!! Works pretty well, but, still, there will be some rare stoves that will never come my way. I'm OK with that, and enjoy those stoves that I do have, very, very much!!! What a wonderful journey it's been, and I hope and pray that the journey will continue for many more years, although with my collection slimmed down considerably!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. RodH

RodH Subscriber

Doc...600 stoves? Damn...that's impressive!! Your SB must be VERY tolerant! And a BIG workshop!

6. Doc Mark

Hi, RodH,

Many thanks! In truth, right now, I've "over-run" our place, and what started out in a Stove Room, and the Hobbit Hole, has oft times spread to many more rooms. I really need to winnow down the numbers to just a few hundred favorite stoves. SB is not only VERY tolerant, but, she, too, loves our stoves, and has many favorites from amongst them. She is a gourmet cook, and can really turn out some stunningly delicious fare whilst we're camping. The guys from MSR, who camped with all of us up in Oregon, many years back, told us they had NEVER eaten that well in the wild, and they were amazed that such serious food could be cooked on all camp stoves, and old camp ovens!! I do need to build a huge building that is just for stove, etc., so SB can have her entire house back, and my plan is to do just that. First, however, I'll continue gathering together all the stuff that I don't mind selling, and then we'll go from there....... My oldest stove, by the way, was made in 1866, and it will, along with many others, always be a part of my collection! One last thought: I truly believe it's not how many stoves you own, but how much you enjoy the ones that you own!! I have quite a few friends, who only own 3-6 stoves, and they are as happy as clams, and quite satisfied!!! True contentment, lies there, and not in the numbers, IMHO. Just a thought.... Thanks, again, for the comments, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. exeter_yak

Hello,
    i started out with a single burner Coleman stove around 1971 because I remember using it when my first son was born. That stove worked very well for me, car camping mostly, fishing trips, and so on. Not sure what happened to that one but it served well for 2 decades.

In 1981 I purchased my first 123R from Hilton's Tent city in Boston. My brother suggested it and we were gearing up for backpacking the White Mountains of New Hampshire, USA. A few of my hiking friends were using 123 stoves at the time. We did a lot of hiking with single and multiple overnights in the White Mountains of New Hampshire every year for about a decade using 123 stoves.

Around 1998 I purchased another 123R and my spouse and I used two of them on Sea Kayak camping trips, mostly on Island sites on the large lakes in Maine for many years.

In roughly 2004 or 2005 I was looking on Ebay for 123 stoves, and somehow ended up finding a listing from Kaw550red for an Optimus 00. We became penpals via email, then we were also emailing with Kerophile, I was gifted a number of stoves from both, and was introduced to CCS by one or the other. During that time I tooled up to make stove parts using the machines I already had and made a few additional investments in tooling and machinery.

Since then I have collected a time line of 00 stoves, 96 stoves, 123 and 123R stoves, and quite a few others not based on a time line. I also have a fair collection of miniature canister and DIY alcohol stoves which the wife and I use for backpacking and ascending summits in New England. We have set up ultralight kits for backcountry camping as well with pack weights around 13 pounds including 2 liters water each. I have more than enough stoves to keep me busy for a while so I don't collect much these days.

Regards,
    Doug

8. nagant

We had Coleman's since time began and they were (just another tool). Then one day my brother in law showed up with a weird heater made in England he bought at an auction. It was toast but i bought another soon after and got on line and found this place and several hundred dollars and a good 10 years or so and i can obliterate my eyebrows with the best of them. So a Tilley R55 got me started and will be using one in my Whelen leanto this coming week on a trout fishing trip.

9. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

My first real stove purchase was an Optimus 8R, followed within weeks with another to use when we camped at vespa scooter club runs, rallies, hill climbs,& camping weekends. My choice of 8R stoves was because it was one fuel & the fuel could be syphoned from the vespa tank. 2 stroke mix blackened the pan sets, the stoves worked well enough on it, I would not do it now. Early retirement & with time to kill I decided to refurb them, found ccs & the scales fell from my eyes. The world of stoves opened up, as a consequence, now I have a mini trangia, an Optimus 111 pale green with white plastic control key, a Coleman peak 1,& a Radius 42 recently bought on e.bay. I love all of them & use & alternate them regularly on walking days & cycleing. The best find to date is ccs, my constant browser. So carry on enjoying your stoves like me guys, & keep the faith. Optimust.

10. SGL70

A Primus 8R was the start of my carrier...shortly followed by a few others...too many to be able to use them as they once were intended to.
    I am not lokely to get another one, as I has started to feel animosity towards Transformers and LG phones.....

11. Billyboy

I TOTALLY agree!:rage:

12. SGL70

...should proof-read before posting....:oops: