How do new, currently available stoves stack up?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by CraigSharrow, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

LOL. NO PICS PLEASE!!! We really don't need to see that.

2. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

Regarding the Butterfly stoves from St. Paul Mercantile: I feel the owner has the best of intentions, but not the best of stoves. I bought a wick stove from the business that was quite terrifying.

Garrett Wade, whatever their other flaws may be, have a rock-solid reputation for making things right without regard to cost. They will fix an order with no regard to shipping, convenience, or expense. If there is an issue, they will put a live person on the line who will is willing to talk things out in plain terms for as long as it takes.

We need, as a group, to get them to buy into a parts kit that will fix the Prabhat for the average user. Every Stovie. . .

In Solidarity, my brothers.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Sounds like you are volunteering.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

We happy few!

5. CraigSharrow

Thank you all for all the good information. I definitely would much prefer a vintage brassie with character — probably for the same reason I have a 1930 H. L. Leonard 13 foot bamboo salmon fly rod and a 17th century samurai sword (Reason: I’m crazy).

I’ve already got all the “sensible” stoves one could want: Propane Primus, MSR white gas, Coleman, etc plus the Viking in the kitchen.

6. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

If we can get Ross from Fettlebox and the lads from Garrett Wade together, it would be a match. I'll try to do my bit.

7. donnecaidh United States

Canuman, I agree with you. Having ordered a Prabhat from Garrett Wade, (at $35 plus shipping, on sale), I began reading all the horror stories and felt I'd made a mistake. However, when it arrived, it fired up first try without any problems. Leathers were pre-soaked, everything fit and it seems to be manufactured well enough. I think in the case of the Prabhat it's the squeeky wheel that we all hear and never a word from the vast majority that receive their stove and are perfectly happy with it. It's been said they won't last a few lifetimes like the Swede stoves, but I only need mine to last one. Certainly, it's not the quality of the Swede's who are well known for their machining prowess, but to say they work OK or well enough is to say they WORK. I mean, come on, we're talking about heating kerosene to gasify and burn. It's not the space shuttle we're talking about here. Of all the comments I read from where I bought mine only two had problems and they exercised their 90 day return or exchange and the next one worked fine.
    So, If someone want's to get into "the game" without having to spend a lot of money on something that their going to have to rebuild to be able to use, then in my humble opinion, this is a good way to go.

8. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

If one find wants a stunning quality new brassie in the US, one can very occasionally find Manaslu stoves available. I would argue these the equal of any Scandinavian stove ever made. They fire right up, and burn cleanly and powerfully without any fuss at all. Every thread is cleanly cut, the brass is thick, and they just exude sweetness at every turn. However, just as you'll pay more for a top-line Honda or Volvo than a Kia, they will thin your wallet accordingly.

I have to admit that I didn't haul a brassie along on my recent week-long boat trip on the Hudson River and Lake Champlain. With two large totes of sailing gear weighing at least fifty pounds apiece and a carry-in bag or two, we had all we could handle on the train down. I'd thrown out my back, and my fellow pirate Mike is still recovering from knee surgery. Instead, I packed a trusty and fairly modern ETA Lite Primus butane water boiler. I was very glad to have done so. The boat was equipped with an Origo alcohol two burner. I'd brought a quart of alcohol.

Theoretically, that should have lasted the week. The alky stove obviously hadn't been used in a long time, and could have sucked up a gallon of the stuff without giving heat. We did all our cooking on the Primus, such as it was. We won't win any Michelin stars. (Cold soup from the can the first night, with corn chips and some Cheddar cheese.) We discovered a place in Mechanicville NY that makes a calzone the size of a bull walrus for under ten bucks. We both stuffed ourselves on one, and then had the rest cold for breakfast. The Primus' ability to boil a half-liter of water in 3.5 minutes was really appreciated when brewing the morning coffee or tea. We started out with a single fuel canister, which still has more than enough remaining do several more weekend excursions.

I rarely go on any sort of a trip without a backup stove, even if it's just a simple pop-can stove I made myself. I'm going to stick a well-proven kerosene stove for heavy hauling on the boat, with butane Primus as a backup and a tea stove. I admit to being too lazy to prime and pump when all I want is a morning beverage or a quick bowl of oatmeal. I have a nice little Force 10 barbecue grill that will hang off the stern as well, which can be pressed into non-grilling service as well, and grill do a passable steak.

9. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I am not a garage sale person so I usually pay the ebay prices to get my stoves. In recent years I have acquired Optimus 1S, Optimus 5, Primus 5 and Aida 100, all for prices between $40-$80. Only the 1S required extensive work, so it seems they all required less or the equal work required of the new Prabhat stoves, usually a fuel cap gasket and pip in the NRV. New burner washers are usually needed. I feel my money was better spent and all work well. I have a Primus 210 on the way from England that I am looking forward to fettling. It is a shame the Optimus 111 kerosene is so hard to come by here in the USA as that may fit your needs as well. Brad

10. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

The recent Royal Mail regs have made it it much more difficult to get a brassie out of the UK. I've had two good ones tossed back. We need a cadre of fellow believers in small boats at night.

11. snwcmpr

There are alternative shippers to RM.

12. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

@snwcmpr Perhaps someone should compile a list. I've had two really fine stoves snatched from my fingers this year. No money lost, but I would have far rather had the stoves than the cash.

13. snwcmpr

UPS, DHL are 2. FedEx?

14. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I have to admit that if I could own only one stove, it would likely be one I don't have: a Primus Omnifuel. It would suffice for everything from car camping to backpacking. But since I don't have to make that choice, I have lots of classic possibilities for the ways I camp: backpack, canoe, and car.

15. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

Unfortunately, many of the British sellers are signed up with FleaBay pack and ship, which uses Royal Mail as default. If you could actually talk to the seller, things would be easier. The Bay makes that difficult also. I can see the issue with a gas/petrol stove. Even well drained, if you don't slosh the tank, they can be a bomb. I hardly see the problem with a kero/paraffin brassie. Even if I were a terrorist, which I'm certainly not, I hardly think that I'd consider a kerosene stove at all an efficient way to cause an explosion. Even under the most ideal conditions, it is an unlikely hazard. Even if you got the full volume of fuel atomized, there is not sufficient oxygen at the altitudes at which most airliners fly to provide the 15 to 1 ratio that will make a good bang.

16. MikeT NH

I also bought a Prahbat stove from Garrett Wade on sale. No, it is not the equal of my mint Aida 100! However, after dealing with the stiff as a board pump leather by soaking overnite in cooking oil, it fired right up and runs fine. Boils 24 ounces of water to full whistle in teapot in about 4:30. Overall, solder joints ok and finish above average as far as marks/blemishes go. As far as bang for your buck goes, cannot see how you could do better! If u plan on buying one, rest assured that you will have to tinker with it. Quite happy with the unit overall.

17. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

I agree on the previous post on the Omnifuel. However, to get into a classy brassie for short cash, the Prabhat might be the way to go. Yes, it's not the best, and will need some tweaking. However. when fettled properly, it is an excellent stove, My complaint about the Prabhat line is that they not take the pressure that a good Primus or Optimus will. However, most of us spend our time nearer to sea level than to altitudes above it, I say "That'll do, pig."