How do you light your stove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doug's Kid, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Doug's Kid

Doug's Kid United States Subscriber

I tried searching on this topic and couldn't find any old threads... so I'm starting this one. I'd imagine there are a wide variety of preferred methods to light stoves. Please post your favorite so we can all learn. I was trying to light my Phoebus 725 outside today, windy, 20 degrees F. It was a bit of a struggle to get the alcohol lit. I've been using the long style butane lighters, the ones meant for grills. If they'd run all the time I'd be happy continuing to use these, but I've had terrible luck finding a reliable brand for these. I've bought name brand (BIC) and generics, and they are all hit or miss. Sometimes they work, often they don't. I have several with much fuel still visible inside them, yet they won't light.

There must be a better way. Educate me please.

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Lately I've been using this electric arc lighter. It's windproof, folds up, has a long reach, and charges via USB port. I know it looks incongruous next to a classic camp stove but it gets the job done. Folded it can be carried in your pocket.

71dlJSplLuL._SL1500_.jpg

Ben

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Matches or Bic-type lighter, usually.

The cheaper 'generic' 'Bic-type' actually are easier to strike than the Bic brand.

4. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Matches, or a white gas PermaMatch

5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I use different lighters at different times, depending on application (backpacking, car camping). I've got one of those long reach butane lighters branded "Coleman" that's refillable.

....Arch

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Matches; with or without alcohol depending on the stove.

I have waterproof matches and flint for emergency.

Tony

7. afoton

Matches, allways. And alcohol for priming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. Doug's Kid

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. I guess I've vaguely heard that some people use wicks, but I always pictured them running up out of the spirit cup and closer to the nipple, in order to get the flame up there. But looking at these I'm thinking it is just the top radius of the wick, which is out of the alcohol, that supports the flame. So presumably it is more a matter of the wick providing increased surface area, and better evaporation of the alcohol, where the advantage is gained.

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Re. wicks;
    Don't forget the ones supplied by the manufacturers. Here's a couple from Svea,

[​IMG]
    and another from Primus,

[​IMG]

Pics courtesy of PVB 7 Kaw550red

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I am definitely 'belt and suspenders' when it comes to ignition sources. I plant wood matches, paper matches, waterproof matches, and various plastic lighters in my packs, my car, my pants, etc.

12. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

Firestarter gel or paste from Amazon. Germ-X hand sanitizer and matches. The Germ-X starts fires well and sanitizer works to sanitize you.

13. Doug's Kid

Yes, I've used hand sanitizer too sometimes. I like its jell consistency, less likely to spill than straight alcohol. And it does double duty cleaning your hands when camping. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't burn absolutely clean, unlike alcohol. I assume this is from the fragrance, jelling agents, etc...

Still, it is miles ahead of the sooty mess you get when forced to preheat with white gas.

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@Doug's Kid Welcome to CCS!

I prime with denatured alcohol, same stuff I run my Trangia with.

For ignition source, 99% of the time I'll use the Bic I carry in my pocket anyway. Small/compact in the summer, large/standard one in the winter when I occasionally have to use it to thaw out the padlock to get into work. I usually have matches and another lighter available as well.

I did a thread on long reach lighters a couple years back and never did come up with a good one.

15. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

I have used a steel rod and a flint stone. Mike...