How old is my Enders?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Colin Geer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Colin Geer

Having got my Enders 9061D running nicely, I'm now wondering how old it is. How do you tell? Are there markings?

IMG_20170914_191311.jpg

IMG_20170914_172630.jpg

IMG_20170907_165921.jpg

IMG_20170914_172213.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

As your enthusiasm for the hobby grows, you might consider access to the Catalogues on CCS is worth a Subscription.

This extract from an Enders catalogue from 1958.

IMG_5715.JPG

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Colin,

I whole heartedly agree with presscall on his suggestion that you subscribe. Doing that will open up an entirely new world of information to you, and the paltry sum of admittance is WELL worth being a Subscriber!!!! In fact, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone who is interested in "things stove" is not a Subscriber already!! As a very long-time CCS member, I can assure you, your money will have been exceedingly well spent, if you decide to subscribe to CCS!!!! Good luck, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Nice looking, and nicely running 9061D, Sir!

4. Colin Geer

OK, OK guys, I get the message! I'll do it now!

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

6. Doc Mark

Hi, Colin,

You'll never regret it, Sir!! Have fun, and happy learning!! God Bless!

Doc

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Colin, welcome to CCS! :thumbup:

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Colin Geer

Ha! There is no turning back now... you'll look in those catalogues and think "oh, one of those would be nice"...

Cheers

Tony

9. Colin Geer

You're right... I can feel it happening already!

10. Colin Geer

I have another question for you guys.

I always planned to de-rust the exterior of the Enders and spray it again... but is that a good idea? Are 9061 Ds rare? Would I be committing irreversible sacrilege or giving it the stove new lease of life? I've got the rust treatment ready and the paint ordered... so what do you think? (The inside doesn't need to be touched BTW)

11. Doc Mark

Evening, Colin,

If it were me, I would not strip and repaint the Enders case. I'd do my best to de-rust the places that need it, and then cover the entire case with paste wax, or some sort of preservative. Others here have more knowledge in this area, but that's what I would probably do, rather than repainting the entire stove.

However, since your stove has the logo, etc. embossed into the lid, then I would think that stripping and painting it will do no real harm, if you think the case really needs it. For what it's worth..... I'm sure a grown-up will be along, later, to give you the straight poop on that topic! ;) :lol:

Have fun, and enjoy that great Enders 9061D!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Now you have to get the civilian version of that stove, the 9060D!!!!! I have one, and love it!

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Just one more stove.
    The problem is .. which stove is that one more.

13. Colin Geer

That 'one more stove' will be an Optimus 111B for sure. The only problem for me will be the cost and sneaking it past Mrs Geer!

14. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Colin Geer

I am a huge fan of Optimus 111 stoves, but no so much the Optimus 111B.

I prefer kerosene in my 111s, because the tank and NRV arrangement for them relies on the standard "Primus-type" NRV: if it fails, liquid fuel comes into the pump tube. That's fine for kerosene, but for gasoline it's outright dangerous.

There is a discussion of a spectacular uncontrolled ignition of an Optimus 111 running gasoline a fair way down the link below:

IMG_3621.JPG

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/king-of-all-lanterns-the-new-britelyt-xl.11195/#post-75218

Cheers

Tony

Edit: Of course, if fettled properly they run fine on gasoline; but the safety margin is much reduced, compared to a, for example, Coleman stove that has been designed with specific safety features for gasoline.

Besides, kerosene has more grunt.

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I agree with @Tony Press
    I am no fan of the 111B. If it does fail, it is a serious failure, not just some kerosene leaking.

16. Doc Mark

Morning, @Colin Geer , and All,

I have to jump in here, as I very much enjoy using the 111B, and also the 22B stove, as well as their kero versions! I was blissfully ignorant of the NRV setup, when I first joined CCS, many long years ago, but quickly learned the in's and out's of keeping that important item fully maintained and working as it should! In any case, I've used the 111B and 22B stoves for so long that I have NO worries about using them with Coleman fuel! Properly maintained, they are completely safe, and very, very effective!! I have had leaky NRV's with both stoves before, and as I always paid very close attention to the pump knob rising a bit in use, the leaking stoves were shut down, allowed to cool, and then fettled straight away. Afterwards, of course, the stoves were good to go for more years of excellent service!!

So, whilst kero IS a safer fuel than Coleman Fuel (Panel Wipe, et.al.), with care, and attention to detail when using the 111B and 22B with the more volatile fuels, there is no need to run for cover!! Regular maintenance, and a sharp eye, when using these stoves, will keep you in good stead. My 'tuppence, being a man who trusts and loves the Optimus Benzin stove! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. Colin Geer

I have to say, seeking the photo of a 111b engulfed in flames was a little unsettling, but then again, I've used a Shinabro 170-GR for 40 years without mishap and now I've added a BRS-12a, a Coleman 533 and most recently, an Ender's 9061d to my collection. I've used the Enders a fair bit since fettling it... so how safe are they?

The Coleman seems to be regarded as a very safe stove from what I've read, but what about the BRS-12A? Being Chinese, does it have any safety features?