Hugo Möller

Discussion in 'Manufacturers' started by Spiritburner, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Hugo Möller
    by Ross Mellows

I currently known know very little about this company from Stockholm, Sweden. They produced a small range of collapsible stoves and domestic ranges as shown in the 1912 catalogue on this site. They used a logo that is similar to that adopted by Radius. A Comet Scout No:6 was taken to Antarctica on Shackleton's Endurance Expedition in the personal equipment of his carpenter McNish and is thought to have been used on the Caird during the epic voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia. This stove is now in the custody of the Canterbury Museum in New Zealand.

1426534014-Comet.jpg

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I missed this article in the move from the old site – oops!

Serendipity - or pure luck in discovering things you were not looking for
    First published in "Under Pressure" No:2 March 2004​

Many of us who collect often know what we’re after and have a wish list of things we’d like to add to our collections. Just occasionally something crops up that we didn’t even know existed and sometimes such an item can then take pride of place in the collection.

A few years ago some friends and I were visiting a collector who was selling off his collection of lamps & stoves. My passion is for small, collapsible camp stoves in tins and I bought several items from him. One of the items was an empty stove tin - 6” x 4.5” x 3”. What interested me about it was that it was a brand I had never heard of and the graphics on the lid. The missing stove was a Comet No:6 Scout made by H.M. Co. and the lid of the tin bore a scene of boy scouts gathered around a stove - rust spots on the lid hid the stove.

This scene was very similar to that on a tin available with the Primus No: 96 c1911 to 1913. Sometime later while surfing the internet on the subject of Sir Ernest Shackleton I came across a now defunct website about a visit to an exhibit in a New York museum on the Endurance Expedition which featured the James Caird - the small boat Shackleton and five men used to sail from Elephant Island to South Georgia to fetch help for the rest of the crew in 1916. Among the exhibits was a “Primus” used on the Caird. It was a design I hadn’t seen before. Further research found that the stove had belonged to the expedition carpenter Henry “Chippy” McNish and was on loan from the Canterbury Museum in New Zealand. This model went to the top of my wish list but I was pretty sure I’d never see one in the flesh.

1426535542-small_Comet.jpg

While visiting a collector friend in Norway and reading through his stove literature I came across a catalogue (above) for Comet stoves dated 1912. Eureka! The manufacturer was Hugo Möller of Stockholm, Sweden and the No:6 Scout, the missing stove from my tin was shown. It was the same model as used on the Caird!

Back in the UK I got a phone call from one of my friends who’d been with me when I got the tin. He’d been back to help the collector dispose of some old blowlamps and he’d been given a small stove as a thank you. It was the missing stove from my tin! He recognised it immediately as I’d shown him the information from Norway and he was ringing me to say it was mine!

1426535559-comet_01.jpg

3. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow! That's all I can say.