Humble pie and apologies

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dave1000car, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Dave1000car Ireland

I'm new to collecting stoves and and have 7 already the first was a primus optimus no 1 and 1 thought all primus were optimus. So that is why i kept saying primus optimus so now I stand corrected.
    And Duane was correct I don't know what stoves I have. I thought you were being a bit smart so apologies
    Dave

2. itchy

Perhaps I missed something elsewhere but I believe Duane was really just asking, not telling.

Anyhow, sorting out a particular stove's history can be confusing at times. It is a lot of what is done here.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

My apologies, I have a short fuse at times and it is easy to criticize from afar. Enjoy your collection, I started out years ago here asking newbie questions about a Svea 123 myself, so it has just taken years to gain knowledge and then I still have much to learn. I have never been able to remember many figures or song names/artists. So don't judge the forum from my impatience.
    Duane

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS
    Often stove's history make you decided if it is the ones you want. And often it brings you somewhere else. Stay focused, if you can !!!! Lololo

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I myself have fully qualified as a member of the "Making apologies" crowd more than oce.

6. Dave1000car Ireland

I myself have a very short fuse and expect people to know what I'm talking about so I understand where you're coming from next time I'm going to post pictures and let the people with knowledge give me the answer

7. BigScott

BigScott Subscriber

It's very difficult to judge the tone of comments some times. That's where the use of emojis steps in to replace facial expressions. If something is tongue in cheek let people know it is not to be taken seriously.:)

8. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi Dave: basically, the "big three" in Sweden were Primus (1892), Optimus (1899) and Radius (1913 - founded by striking Primus workers), plus Sievert/Svea (1882 - Max Sievert began with blowlamps). The kerosene stoves reigned through to the early 1950s, and were then slowly edged out by the newer butane /bottled gas technology. By 1963, AB B.A. Hjorth sold off the rights to the Primus trademark (for kero/petrol products only) to former rival, AB Optimus. At the same time, Optimus also acquired the Svea and Radius trademarks for similar products, so the former rivals were then united. The resulting company (for the Primus trademark) was Primus Trading AB (short for Aktiebolaget, the Swedish designation for a kind of publicly-traded company, (Pty.Ltd, or similar). From 1963/4 up to about 1978, Optimus stoves appeared under Svea, Primus or Optimus logos (Radius was never used, despite its acquisition in 1963). From about 1979, Optimus dropped the Svea/Primus trademarks and reverted to their own. You'll find a wealth of catalogues and articles on this site, plus a lot of expertise (I have been collecting and cataloguing stoves since 1966, at the age of 9). Among other things, we were able to "crack" the Primus dating code from 1911 to 1955 (a single and double letter code stamped under the tank) and then from 1956 - 1964 (the six digit number stamped around the burner riser on the domestic models). Optimus didn't use a dating code, but from observing thousands of stoves over the years, I can pinpoint them to within a year or two. They're a friendly bunch here: please feel free to ask us for information as you need. Welcome, Peter

9. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Welcome @Dave1000car

Primus (1892) developed and widely distributed a successful stove initially called "The Primus", that is a name that stuck!.
    re your "... I thought all primus were optimus." You're not all that far off, just the other way round. For many people in many places around the world, ANY stove of this type is "a Primus stove", regardless of who made it (including Optimus).

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Sure, but is it a prymus stove or a preemus?

11. snwcmpr

Sveea or SvAa

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Tran-ya or Tranjia?

13. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Sitting here with my head spinning. Next thing you'll tell me there are three syllables in Coleman.

I've always held that a name is pronounced as it's owner does. So there are answers to the above, and it's not the way I say it in any of the cases. What do I do, friends? Become incomprehensible to my neighbours (but be correct) or be understood but wrong?

D@#n you all! ;-)

14. Dave1000car Ireland

Thanks for that peter
    How many primus models were made and
    How many varients ie. Did certain models only come with a silent burner.

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Dave1000car

If you go to the Reference Gallery, you can get a good idea how many different Primus stoves were made, as well as the many variations of the models.

Cheers

Tony

16. snwcmpr

Welcome to this wonderful world, also called a rabbit hole.

17. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Obviously. Even I cannot make four syllables out of that.;)