Hurlock burner washer position?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by MarkG, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MarkG

Hi all,

Like a fool i have forgotten on which side of the spirit cup the washer goes on my Hurlock, i've put it underneath but its also my first stove service so am just checking, there are two in the service kit, maybe ones a spare as with both fitted there isn't enough thread left to screw the burner in plus originally it only had one but i can't remember which side of the spirit cup the washer sat? :roll:

Thanks.

2. MarkG

Well the Fettlebox's picture shows one above the spirit cup and the burner will definitely not do up with both fitted it goes so far and then loosens off.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

A photo of the two pieces that join can help?
    There are other discussions here of this debate. One washer, above or below, or two washers, one above and below. The answer, it depends on the stove.

4. MarkG

I have cheated, i've put the original asbestos? washer underneath as it looked to be in good condition and left the Fettlebox washer on top, so far the stove has leaked from the NRV pip, which i think i've sorted, around the pump clamp washer which i have just given the mating surfaces a really good clean and from under the spirit cup, where i have cleaned up any burrs etc and fitted the old washer, hopefully it is now leak free! [-o<

5. MarkG

No that's it, i'm going back to my lamps, i can only get one new washer on the burner so that it will tighten down properly, i've tried fitting either side of the spirit cup and it leaks either way, i tried a Tilley pump clamp washer on the pump and although it slowed it right down, its still leaking so i've had enough.

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I had issues in one area or another on mine. Last was a leak at the top of the pump tube of all places. Quick solder fixed it.
    Duane

7. MarkG

I might see if i have any other burners that fit and have a longer base or try and get some thin washers, i think mine also has a leak at the top of the pump tube, its beaten me for now anyway.

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@MarkG, If it's still on the round tuit pile next June bring it along to one of the regular Newark 2am fettling classes. :)

9. MarkG

@Simes 2am, i might have to have a kip in the afternoon to be able to stay up that late :lol: it needs a washer either side of the spirit cup so will need to get a couple of thin ones made up if possible and maybe some solder work around the pump.

10. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@MarkG sleeping during daylight hours will require permission. :) But there is far too much happening anyway, and so much to see locally. The British Sugar plant is especially impressive, they provided top soil for the Olympic Park apparently.

11. MarkG

I'll have to book the time off beforehand then! 8] sounds like its a good venue to attend.

12. Garth

On mine the washer is below the spirit cup like you ive given up on my one ,burner now lives on another stove

13. MarkG

I expect i'll get around to having another go at some point but for now one is not amused! :lol: