I got my trannie....

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by It'l Dodat, Mar 22, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

Morning all..
    Finally I got a Trangia. It was gifted to me and I collected it yesterday.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any methylated spirits to fire it up, but I'll sort that out over the weekend and post "burning" photos...

But, for starters pictures of <my> first unpacking.

This brings this to a whopping four new additions to my collection.

My WW II field issue petrol stove
    My Optimus 8 <which I still have not got going properly yet>
    MY 1970's South African army field 2 plate LP gas stove
    And now My Trannie........

It's been a very good year so far!

trangia c assy f pot handle.jpg

trangia c assy e frying pan.jpg trangia c assy frying pan pot lid.jpg trangia c assy e small pot.jpg trangia c assy d wind shield.jpg trangia c assy c burner opened.jpg trangia c assy b burner.jpg trangia c assy a bottom.jpg trangia b all the bits.jpg trangia a.jpg Stove Trangia_6.JPG Stove Trangia_4.JPG Stove Trangia_3.JPG Stove Trangia_2.JPG Stove Trangia _1.JPG

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Congrats!
    I think you'll like it. Completely different animal than a pressure stove, but reliable as sunrise.

....Arch

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice, I am sure that you will be happy with it.

4. Lennart F Norway

Basic and nearly storm&bullet proof not too bulky about mid 70's Trangia 27 in a good using condition.

5. It'l Dodat

Hi Lennart, what gives it the number 27? Just curious I havent a cooking clue about the various models Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
  6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Very nicely done!

Love my Trangia. Not the fastest stove, but fantastic for a quiet brew and meal. Completely indifferent to the wind. Did I mention quiet?

7. OptimusPrime Canada

When I read you picked up a trannie.....:oops:

...oh dear...

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @It'l Dodat ,

Trangia stoves come in two basic models: The smaller ones are Model 27, whilst the larger ones are Model 25. There are a few other odd sizes and designations of Trangia, but these two account for the vast bulk of the Trangia stoves.

The Model 27 is for one, or two people, and the Model 25 can feed, maybe three to four, depending on their appetites. Most backpackers who use Trangia would choose the M27, whilst car campers, and folks hiking in a group and sharing gear, would choose the M25. I know.... I'll hear from those who love the tiny Model 28 Trangia ( I "think" that's the designation). But, to me this set is just too small to be practical, IF you like to EAT a good, solid meal!!! Boil-in-a-bag meals, maybe..... Not my style, for the most part.

@OptimusPrime , I loved your comment and have to say, that's what I thought, too, when the OP used the word, "trannie"!!! We already have some folks in the world who don't understand our use of "Meths" fuel...... and now, "trannie" stoves have been added to the pot!!! YIKES!!! (Shiver!!!) Nah, I'll just call them "Trangia" stoves, so as not too confuse the great unwashed public!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To the OP, hearty congrats on your "new" Trangia stove!! They are excellent stoves, and once you get used their personalities, you will love yours, as we all love ours!! Well done, and ahve fun with your Trangia! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

"Trannie" in the title gave me pause as well. It was only with trepidation that I clicked.

10. afoton

Every Trangia I have seen in usage (except my own no27) by backpackers/hikers has been no25…

My experience with no27 is that it is barely big enough for 1. I would not choose no27 if I was ever cooking for 2.

11. Lennart F Norway

@It'l Dodat - I should say @Doc Mark got it right!
    Trangia says that the original storm cooker #25 fits 3-4 persons and the small #27 fits 1-2 persons(early 80's and later has 2 saucepans) while the Mini Trangia(#28) is purpose made to fit in the big leg pocket of military trousers used in some multisports games and strictly aimed to keep one person "running" all day long.
    The "gourmet" cookware from Trangia is larger size than that included in #25 but mainly possible to use with it.

The very first camping set #24 is still the choice for making 2-4 persons dinner(inner pot used to form #25 while the complete #27 fits in the outer) - it should be used with campfire or regular camp stove.

Back in the days when sprit stove #23, camp set #24 and storm cookers #25&27 were born - a normal backpack was 15-25 liters, today I see people saying 70 liters is barely enough for 2 days.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

My extremely limited experience agrees with the sizing recommendations given by Doc and Lennart.

I have the 27 and while I would call it just fine for me, for two people it's a bit small. Perfectly adequate for two people who are taking a break during a road trip or a stroll through the park and want a bite to eat and a spot of tea. For hikers carrying a load, putting miles behind them, who need to put down some calories, want a big mug of tea to wash it down with, and don't want to take all day to do it...............bigger would be necessary.

We could definitely make use of the larger 25, and it's on my list.

13. Barrett New Zealand

You'll love the Trangia, they are so versatile and easy.
    T25 is great for an afternoon snack of
    Boiled dumplings
    Sausages
    Coffee

All cooked on one very full burner.
    Love the ease of the Trangia.

20190318_155354.jpg

20190318_163529.jpg

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

25 is the size for me.

15. It'l Dodat

Morning all...

Ok so you fellas "got" my humour calling it a trannie :lol: :lol:.... Well now you'll get trannie bangers.................................. & mash :lol:

Some of my less illustrious names include Bonnet bird - what I call a chicken cooked on my engine - see pic and billy-the-bird, and this refers to a chicken roasted in my billy-can on an open fire....

I just love this type of fun..... You should see the petrol attendant when I pull up at the pump with the aroma of roasting chicken engulfing my Landrover.....He really get's to salivate something fierce...

But back to my "trannie"......

UnFoRtUnAteLy...Hehe

I left my blooming camera at work on Friday, or I would have done some pics....

BUT I absolutely love this. So Far I've pretty much got a complete "trannie" :lol: kitchen together, in a steel ammo box. I did fire it up and it worked like a charm... Boiled up a stainless steel army waterbottle canteen of water....

What I've also done is add a round grid, the same size as the base of the pot, so it rests on the bottom step of the three little pot rests. This has enabled me to use the army canteen to boil water. (the shape & size of the canteen won't fit on the 3 pot-legs

Now, I can also use my coffee percolator.

Then I got a 4 slice toast-rack, that has a solid base (which I'm dying to try out) - so the fumes won't enfuse into the toast) , and hope to show you fellas how to make a brekkie of toast, bacon & eggs and hot chocolate so that it's all cooked at the same time & nice - n - hot....

I don't have the kettle accessory, but I'm just fine with an army canteen, because, with the frying pan as a lid ontop of the canteen, I can already do the bacon and eggs while the water in the canteen comes to the boil... (then just finish off the eggs if necessary).

For the eggs, I bent my egg-rings so that the fit together in the frying pan, against the inside edge, leaving a lot more space for bacon / bangers ETC.....

Weight's not an issue, as I'm setting it all up for a car-camping kit, rather than a hiking kit....

Bonnet bird... Chicken done on the engine, while rice is done in a thermos...
    Cooking chicken 04.jpg

Billy-the-bird. A whole chicken roasted in a billy-can on an open fire
    IMG-20190222-WA0035.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. It'l Dodat

Now that I've de-greased my coagulated frozen-mincmeat-for a brain with a steaming mug of hot chocolate at six in the morning...

Some after-the-post-thoughts......

What I've been putting together isn't a "trannie" kitchen... You guy's 'av changed my mind it's now and forever going to be called my......

"Tranny-kit"....:lol:

And you lot would have had hysterics at my anxiety attack when I lit it up for the first time....

Is it gonna work...... is it gonna work..... Please..... Please..... Please......

(Go from stage 1 to stage 2 and the wee little flames start comming out the holes)....

17. It'l Dodat

So, here are a few pics of my "Trannie kit"

basically, when I'm out-and-about I generally cookup twice daily, A BRUNCH <somewhere between breakfast & Lunch> and SLUNCH <somewhere between lunch & supper> and I hang a bit over for a early evening nibble...

Not complete yet, the intention is to compile a complete "kitchen in a box" based around the Trangia, and therefore needs to include: -

Wasbasin water & dishwashing stuff

Cooking / eating utensiles

Augmented cookware, including <and,since it's particular to me, Aaaaaaa - <slurp - crunch..... slurp - crunch> perculated coffee & toast>
    1 Coffee perculator
    2 Army issue durualium mess kit <2 dixies> that pack one inside the other
    3 Army issue stainless steel waterbottle protector - canteen
    4 Toast rack, but one that won't let the fumes infuse into the toast. (although the toast rack is untried for now, I'm 100 % certain it will work quite well, I've got another one with my main chuck-box that I use on a gas burner, and it's pretty good...

But with this kit, most notably is my "grid" adaptation, that enables me to use the canteen & the perculator.- I've made a prototype grid lifter out of galvanised wire, that I'll re-make out of stainless wire...

The lid of the ammo box, which is completely removable makes a darn nice flat & stable work surface...

Boiling water in a kettle is much more efficient than boiling it in an open pot, and since there is hardly any chance of getting a Trangia kettle here in SA, by using my army canteen covered with the Trangis pan, makes for a darn good kettle, and I can also start cooking eggs / sausages / meat in the pan placed ontop of the canteen, and then everything pretty much will be ready to eat at the same time.

Like other's I'm not that keen on freeze dried stuff... I much prefer to cook from fresh, and, for me, in my maturity... I get a lot of satisfaction from all the other indirect thins about cooking up a camp meal... slow's just fine... I like to savor the task...

Grid & lifter
    trangia kit grid in place with grid lifter.jpg

Toast rack
    trangia kit toast rack untried should be ok.jpg

Coffee perculator
    trangia kit coffee perculator standing on grid.jpg

Army issue canteen
    trangia kit army waterbottle canteen on grid.jpg

Army canteen with frying pan lid, cook while the water is boiling up
    trangia kit how to get boiled water and cook.jpg

trangia kit steel ammo box lid wort surface.jpg trangia kit packing where everything goes.jpg trangia kit trangia  packed.jpg trangia kit grid and grid lifter goes sideways.jpg trangia kit grid goes in first.jpg trangia kit sharp knife set.jpg trangia kit army dixi on pan stand off.jpg trangia kit egg rings bent to fit pan.jpg trangia kit coffee perculator  parts.jpg trangia kit coffee perculator.jpg trangia kit utensiles in army dixies.jpg trangia kit some utensiles few more things short.jpg trangia kit burner mostly cleaned up.jpg trangia kit plastic wash basin.jpg trangia kit my idea grid in place works well.jpg trangia kit packing knife kit in ammo pouch.jpg trangia kit steel ammo box container.jpg trangia kit packing.jpg trangia kit steel ammo box container.jpg

18. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

I was given a trannie just the other day but the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be pretending to be something it wasn't.

Too subtle? Not subtle enough?

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Colin Geer ,

That's hilarious!!!! Perfect, too, and spot on the nail head!! Thanks for the laugh!!

Doc

20. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Looks like the Trangia kettle is available there:

Trangia - 27-8 Ultralight Hard Anodized Camping Cookset | Includes: Alcohol Stove, 2 HA Pots, HA Frypan, Kettle, Upper & Lower Windshield, Pot Gripper, Strap | WantItAll

But 2230 Rand or ~$150USD for a kettle! Just the first place I found it.

If anyone in SA wants a Trangia kettle, they're only ~200 Rand here plus whatever shipping is(which might be the whole mess right there). Happy to facilitate.

@It'l Dodat Great kit, looks very usable. Many happy meals.