If at First You Don't Succeed....

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Polybus, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Polybus

Polybus Australia Subscriber

So after the ongoing disaster of my very first fettling attempt with my beat up Companion - I have decided to get going with my second attempt.

I don't know much about this stove.

It looks to be in good condition - ie: not beat up/dented/bashed around, but it is very dirty.

I can just make out the words "Made in Germany" on it - but no Make/Model/etc. There are very faint markings that I am sure include the Make and Model, but they are way too dirty to read at the moment.

I will post more photos as soon as the top layer of grime comes off and the markings are readable.

The only obvious thing missing is the Flame Spreader.

Lets play "Guess that Stove".....

Whole Stove.JPG Front.JPG Left.JPG Right.JPG Top.JPG

Any ideas??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

i.e. BAT 3 with BAT-post PERFECTUS fuel cap

3. Polybus

Can you please explain a little bit more about the - Post PERFECTUS fuel cap?

I'm quite new to this and don't really understand what that means.

Thanks.

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

BAT - stove versions
    post war time - MEWA group
    [​IMG]
    Bat K3 1950 -
    "sharpwing" fuel cap was from perfectus

could be - You do not find other signs for BAT proof
    it could be "unbranded productin" for export
    -------------
    but - first "clean" Your's stove

5. Polybus

Cleaning has commenced :content:

I have just got it clean enough to see "BAT" through the dirt and grime - but no Model ID as yet - so well done @gieorgijewski :)

The Fuel cap has no Make on it. The only marking on the Fuel Cap is the DAMW in a Triangle - so it may not be the original fuel cap.

More to come :)

6. Polybus

I have also found some text on the burner, which is a little confusing.

It says - Made in Germany - BAT 607 (2016) (See photos)

Now from what I have read here on CCS - BAT haven't made replacement parts for many years. Yet the burner is marked (2016). I am guessing that this is just pure coincidence - I doubt very much it was made in 2016.

Anyway - what do you guys think? You have been able to explain everything else I ahve asked, so I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Still no Model Number available though - at this stage I am going with @gieorgijewski 's suggestion of a BAT K3 - even though it has different legs to his photos.

20190819-007-BAT-Logo.JPG 20190819-008-BAT-InsistonBAT.JPG 20190819-009-BAT-MadeInGermany.JPG 20190819-010-BAT-Burner.JPG 20190819-011-BAT-Burner.JPG

There are no markings at all on the Air Bleed Screw.

7. Polybus

Another thing I learned from research here on CCS - some BATs are all steel, some are all Brass, and some are Brass with a Brass Plated Steel base. I got a magnet out and checked mine. Mine is Brass - with a Brass Plated Steel Base.

Which concerns me, because I got a small to moderate amount of rust flakes out of the tank when I cleaned it - not a huge/worrying amount, but enough to make me think......

If there is rust inside - I'm guessing the steel base must only be brass plated on the outside, not on the inside.

Do you think it might be a worthwhile exercise to "seal" the inside of this tank with POR-15 - or some similar sealer? That would take away all need to worry about it rusting away from the inside out.

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. Polybus

Holey Base Batman!!

More bad news.....

I don't know if I'm just unlucky, or this is just the way it is with old stoves, or perhaps I need to be more careful when making purchases....

Before cleaning.....

20190819-006-BAT-Base.JPG

After some cleaning of the base of the BAT with Grade 00 Steel Wool......

20190819-012-BAT-Holey Base.JPG

It just started as a small pinprick, but with just the smallest amount of pressure grew to what you see in the photos - it obviously would have failed its pressure test anyway, so its best to get rid of all the corrosion and get back to good metal I guess.

So....what to do now - chalk it up to Strike 2?? Or patch it as best I can and seal the insides with an epoxy sealer?

I lives saving things, and the rest of the stove looks good, so I might go with the patch and seal option.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. Polybus

11. Polybus

@kerophile

Yes - the marking on your stove seem to be exactly the same as the ones on mine. Even the slightly larger spacing before the word "GERMANY" in the "Made in Germany" is the same.

Obviously different models though:
    • the filler cap on yours is different to the Winged one on mine
    • yours is collapsible, while mine is not
    • yours is a roarer, mine silent
    Perhaps the similarities indicate they are at least from around the same time frame - and I note you date yours to the 1960s, or possibly 70s, and perhaps made in Leipzig.

There is some excellent reading at CCS Threads:
    I'm thinking mine may be a BAT 3/607 from 60/70?? But someone in time has lost the slotted filler cap and replaced it with the winged one you see on mine.

Question still remain though: My stove doesn't seem to exactly fit into any of the suggested BAT model numbers by @OMC

BAT history and products seem to be a really interesting part of our hobby.

12. kerophile

Hi @Polybus With classic stoves nothing is simple. For example, a Scottish based Co. at one time re-badged BAT stoves as Blaxburner and marketed them in the UK .

If I may add to your list of links:

Blaxburner 2-pint Paraffin stove *

13. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

this example was produced from 1991
    -----------
    and imo You are lucky, or better - have a luck - finding hole in the tank bottom before You use fuel...
    the same problem with colapsible:
    [​IMG]
    If You have 2-pint BAT...

14. Polybus

@gieorgijewski

That "if You Have a 2-Pint BAT is scarey!!

As mentioned above - my base is magnetic - so I fear the worst.

I will try and carefully unsolder the base, remove it and have a look inside - and go from there.

Once again - you guys have been a great source of information and inspiration.

15. OMC

OMC Subscriber

The pleasure is mine Polybus, thank you for posting,
    I can't recall one good report re brass plated steel tanks.. :-k vs we do hear of such failures.
    re " I will try and carefully unsolder the base, remove it..."
    IMO… no need to be careful. I know you didn't ask my opinion but your rusted-through steel tank might best be considered a lost cause. You are better served seeking another stove, one more worthy of repair/restore. Sorry, and this IMO, one guy not the most experienced.

re "BAT history and products seem to be a really interesting part of our hobby."

A given BAT stoves, not only undated but don't have model #s on stoves ](*,).
    Finding BAT history of interest, I am guilty. I don't regret the 2015 research w/stovie comrade Gieorgi
    (but there are currently several topics of interest I doubt I'll revisit that one in a significant way). Please do, carry on. and
    Forgive me if I had any part in sparking interest in German maker history from mid 1800s through WW1 & 2 (a path seldom taken).
    ------------------

re "Question still remain though: My stove doesn't seem to exactly fit into any of the suggested BAT model numbers by omc"
    Try as we may with ye old camp stoves, it is rare we find exact details or history <-- that and new (old) details often emerge that correct/improve what we thought we knew.

You have Dusan's example (Gieorgi linked it :thumbup: , filler cap may be original) and Kerophile suggesting his stove for close tank comparison :thumbup: (review both), maybe yours fits between the 2?

Your model (if we ID it) might be new to the tentative list of BAT models I have suggested here . <-- a WIP, carry on.
    ------------------------------------

FYI Rizers vs fixed leg vs collapsible. The BAT rizer configurations (reserve lid) is model specific and varies considerably.
    thx again omc

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  16. Polybus

Thanks for the advice OMC - I'm quite new to stoves (and lanterns) so I welcome any and all advice from those with more experience than me.

I reluctantly tend to agree with you that my BAT may be a lost cause - there are a number of reasons I will try and take the base off as carefully as possible:
    1. Practice - I have never removed a base before so this will be good practice in case I want to do it to a "good" stove in the future
    2. If I take it off carefully and the insides are not as bad as I fear, maybe it can be saved (but in reality, I think it is doomed) - maybe I get get a replacement brass base and solder it in (again - I doubt it very much)
    I will do a really careful comparison between my BAT, @kerophile 's BAT and @dusan 's and see what I come up with - (but later it's 12:45am here in Oz at them moment)

I'll post what I come up with for the record.

17. kerophile

Hi @Polybus

CCS Never Sleeps!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Very true, and knowing someone somewhere is keeping an eye on things is rather reassuring.

19. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

To be sure...
    no
    this - solve - "from 1991" production
    [​IMG]

20. Polybus

So its a relatively new one then.

What markings tell you its 1991 production? The "Germany" rather than the "GDR"