Imperator No. 5 with regulating burner (later replacement).

Discussion in 'K.F. Eriksson's (KFE)' started by Staffan Rönn, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn Subscriber

The name Imperator gives me steampunk vibes, so I could not resist fetching this one. Rusty frame but tank nickel plating is in really good shape. Should be easy to polish to a great shine. The burner has been replaced at some time. The outer burner cap is marked Primus 4209. I have not investigated the burner in detail, I was more interested in seeing if my new friend could produce some flames.

So I gave the pump leather and the tank lid packing a good rub-in of silicone grease. Filled the tank with a bit of paraffin, preheated and voilà - the stove delivered!

Quite a nice catch of the day ;)

IMAG7291.jpg

IMAG7293.jpg

IMAG7294.jpg

IMAG7296.jpg

IMAG7297.jpg

IMAG7306.jpg

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

3. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn Subscriber

Great, thanks @ROBBO55 . You have then the older version of No. 5 with a higher level of detail in the works of the frame, beautiful! There seems in general to be very little information on the Imperator range.
    /Staffan

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

The only documents we have (at the moment) of the KFE Imperator stove are from 1912 and 1913.

The Imperator in this thread is from a much later date.
    Apart from the change of burner to a regulated burner, the frame is different/simpler, the tank is different, so is the pump and the filler cap is different.

5. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn Subscriber

Yes, the newer Imperator seems a lot simpler in it's design. It would be interesting to once find out more about the evolution of the Imperator range and the relation between K.F.E. and AB Järnvägsmaterial. Did AB Järnvägsmaterial actually produce any stoves, or where they distributors/marketers of K.F.E.'s range (a very common set-up in those days, also in the stove industry - Primus/Bacho, Record/Liedberg & Bäckgren - Optimus/A.R. Bildt & Co as examples).

Anyhow - I haven't examined my Imperator so much in detail yet, but the tank for one example is really "cheaply" made. The cylinder is a metal sheet that is rolled and then soldered/brazed together with two stamped end caps . I'm starting to doubt that it is even made of brass but will have to examine closer. A "quality" tank is typically made of brass and deep-drawn, which is a tedious process with brass as it has to be done in several steps (for the 111 tank 9 steps if I remember correctly) with heating up (mulling?) in between to avoid that the material becomes brittle. The difference with a deep-drawn tank is that you get much less soldering points which typically would be the weak spots.

Also the frame of this Imperator is a bit crude in design. But I really like the name Imperator, it has a very "heavy" connotation. I wonder what decade(s) these simpler Imperators were from.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Staffan Rönn . it is geat to have your description of the production process abd numerous annealing stages used in the making of the Optimus 111 tank. As you rightly say, this is to prevent the build-up of work-hardening in the brass during the deep drawing process.

In the UK we still use the term “mulling” to describe making heated wine/spice drinks, also in decision making (mulling over the options).

You have brought so much to CCS with your posts, and I am very grateful.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

7. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn Subscriber

Thanks @kerophile
    I'm very happy to contribute with what I have. Also great learning new things, like what "mulling" really means… So It's quite dark and damp up here in the Nordics this time of year, a good excuse for mulling our local specialty "glögg" (spiced heated wine) maybe already this weekend.
    Best regards
    Staffan

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Mulled wine and cider greatly enjoyed last weekend while sending bits of wood over the neighbourhood. :)