Indian stove experience (2 of 2)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Volesworth, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Volesworth

Volesworth United Kingdom Subscriber

I never set out to start collecting stoves ...

But being very pleased with my first stove from India (See thread Indian stove experience (1 of 2))

I thought I would also try the other one the same seller supplies: KEROSENE STOVE PRESSURE STOVE 1 LITER BRASS & IRON MADE FROM INDIA | eBay ... though I see it is now about £10 more than I paid. :(

The stove arrived a couple of days ago and I fired it up for the first time time morning. Sadly, this one is not proving such a positive experience. The first problem I hit was finding the filler cap was so tight I had to use pliers to undo it. I rinsed the tank and filled it up with paraffin only to find I could not get any pressure. I started fault finding. First the pump - the plunger felt rather loose and uncertain. On removing it I found that it has a synthetic cup, which seemed strange but that seemed not to be at fault (second photo). It was, I found: the filler cap. After tightening it a bit more, it got started and I made some coffee with a test burn ...

Some snaps attached. Note the buckled trivet - the result of a rough journey with amazingly inadequate packaging. I'm not sure what the trivet was coated with to make to look shiny, but it quickly burns off...

IMG_1586.jpg IMG_1587.jpg IMG_1589.jpg IMG_1590.jpg IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1592.jpg

2. itchy

Glad you got it working. Should be easy to replace the gasket in the cap.

I've have a similar Indian stove that sits outside semi-exposed to the elements for years. Replaced the leather once and the jet seems to need frequent pricking but it keeps chugging along. It used to have a trivet, probably it rusted away. Not a beauty but I kind of like it's rough exterior.

3. Volesworth

Volesworth United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks @itchy. Hopefully, that will cure it. As it is, I'm really quite unhappy having to do-up anything tighter than finger-tight ... especially with brass. I don't have a suitable seal in my collection of bit, but have been looking looking at a kit on eBay.

4. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Fettlebox have all the seals made in Viton, and a CCS member's discount..