Info on stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Poncho1971, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Poncho1971 United States

Would like to know more about this stove.

20190615_205507.jpg

20190615_213350.jpg

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

U.S. military M1942 stove. This is the MOD version, with the changed valve. This was a WW2 stove produced for the 10th Mountain Division (US Army), and was also used by various armies during the Cold War. Your stove was manufactured by Prentiss Wabers (PW) in 1944. They burn white gas (Coleman Fuel). The stove was designed by Bestor Robinson specifically for the 10th Mountain Division, and the initial version was produced by Aladdin Industries. Like much US military equipment, production was parceled out to various manufacturers. Prentiss Wabers is a well known company that produced many camp stoves for the civilian market.

These are nice stoves. One thing to know is that the stove tends to get very hot in use -- this was the reason for changing the valve design.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Welcome to CCS.

....Arch

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I have two of em...neither one burns correctly, they tend to blow themselves out.....rumor has it I need to clean the screen on the generator. Now if can just find my round-to-it.

You can get seal kit from Old Coleman Parts. Your stove takes the same seals as the M1950.
    $5 if I recall.

4. Poncho1971 United States

Thank you for all the info greatly appreciated. What are these stoves worth?

5. ulysses

The sponsor of this site, Ross Mellows, sells excellent rebuild kits for the M1942 stoves in the Fettlebox on-line store for a very reasonable price. Click on the Fettlebox sign. The stove is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Check e-bay for past sales.

6. Jim Lukowski United States

The pip is actually not the same between the M-1942 and the M-1950. I believe it was the thickness that was off preventing a proper operation on an M-1942. As I recall, I kept shaving the pip down, until I went too far. Fortunately, OCP got another batch of the M-1942 pips.

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I just used a pip from a M1950 kit in my M1942, it worked fine.

Edit: It (pip) worked fine....but maybe with a bit too much effort to get it to push air thru, like happens if you stretch spring too much. It looked more or less exactly like the one I took out.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. Jim Lukowski United States

@Majicwrench

That was my issue with the M-1950 pip. It was too hard to pump the M-1942, and why I was shaving it down. That is, until I went a little too far and couldn't get a reliable seal. I then waited for the M-1942 pip to become available.

9. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@Jim Lukowski interesting, like I said, the replacement pip looked just like the old one...except not so hard :)