Interesting Coil Burner for Trangia...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Oct 4, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

2. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

Hmm, that is "interesting".
    I went to their eBay Australia page, where they are based, and they sure do have a wide variety of items listed. To me, they seem to be some kind of third party re-seller.
    As of this post, they had no sold/completed listings/feedback for these burners.

I looked at the pictures of their brass version and stainless version of the "coil burner".
    Based on the radial stampings in the base of the brass version, it looks like they used an Ali-Express knock-off or unbranded ALOCS burner for this modification.
    The stainless version is a modified Goshawk burner, based on the etching on the side of the burner body.
    So to me, these do not seem like original products from a specific company, more like one-off modifications to existing burners (which is fine, they just need to be up front about it if that is the case).

In the listing pictures, you can see that they cut off the top part of the burner where the original flame holes were, and removed some of the guts to insert the "manually adjusted" coil assembly.
    The finish on the stainless burner is rather poor. It looks heavily sanded or Brillo-padded, perhaps in an effort to clean up the results from modifying or after flame testing the burner for this conversion.

I'm not sure how I feel about this concept in general. To me, it's not worth $40 to experience this burner first-hand, and if I really, really wanted to try something like this, I'd just make it myself (although where would I find trained technicians to make and adjust the flame holes?).
    While the modification aspect seems interesting, it seems like a "solution" to a "problem" that doesn't really exist in the first place. It is a different take on converting this style of burner to a coil type (there have been others in the past), just not sure that it's a "necessary" modification other than for experimental purposes.

Pics from the listings.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I have been using my 25 set all summer, I can't see where this would be an improvement....maybe, but like above, I am not gonna spend money to find out.

That said, no such thing as too many stoves, if somebody wants to get one and play with it I am all ears!

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

It's a neat concept, and while I agree that this is no improvement and I won't be buying one either, I'm glad folks are experimenting with other ways of doing things.

I'd be keen on a non spillable Trangia burner. Haven't had an issue, but can definitely see it happening. I'm always mindful whenever I have to move the thing while it's burning, even if just scooting it a few inches over on the back patio table. Further than that and I put it out first.