Introduce the another Kap Arctic clone

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by payer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. payer

I've been trying to find the Kap Arctic stove in my collection but still any lucky. So I decided to do a self-made Kap Arctic clone to use with the Trangia.

Burner and some other parts are from the Optimus marine 155 stove. Self-made parts are holder "gage" of a burner, fuel pipe and almost whole pump unit. Only NRV, air screw, pump knob, fuel filter, regulator wheel and lid of a pump tube are original Optimus parts. Pump tube with a bottom part where the NRV is connected, pump rod and small parts which hold pump leather (leather is from Sefaudi) and the actual cap are all home made production. I have a chance to use lathe in my working place and so managed to do those needed threads and etc. All parts are silver soldered.

As in the original Kap Arctic, there is long fuel line so it's possible to keep lL fuel bottle in standing position. Also the pump have air release screw so it's easier to disconnected burner and fuel line without a spraying kerosine. The connection is made by using small quick couplings. There is also a small brass tube to end into spirit cup, so it's simple to spray methylated spirit through it and then preheat the burner.

I have tested this stove many times and it's works great, so now it's time to show some photos.

Regards, Hannu

1285776599-Kap_Arctic-klooni_001_opt.jpg 1285776609-Kap_Arctic-klooni_002_opt.jpg 1285776619-Kap_Arctic-klooni_003_opt.jpg 1285776632-Kap_Arctic-klooni_004_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. itchy

Good work Hannu.
    The priming tube and coupling are nice touches.

3. jbythesea

Nicely done!

4. greyghost

Very well done.
    How did you determine the proper distance from the bottom windscreen to the top of the burner? This measurement always bothers me as I'm afraid of getting the burner too close to the bottom of the pans.

5. payer

I've just make some test before final cutting and soldering job so I got the burner holder correct standing height.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Petromax828

Great job you have done there! I just might copy you :)

7. payer

Thanks Anders and all the others!

I just tried to copy the genuine Kap Arctic stove, made by Gunnar Finn, as good as I could.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. payer

If someone else likes to try copy this home-made fuel pump, here is one picture more which shows parts before the soldering.

1285935731-Kap_Arctic_002_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015