Is this an old Primus ?

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by nibco, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nibco

1352288619-PB060002.JPG 1352288677-PB060007.JPG 1352288707-PB060006.JPG 1352288735-PB060009.JPG Hello Everyone,
    I purchased this stove,photo attached at a local Auction. My intention was to use the tank for a model stationary engine. However after giving it a clean I became curious as to its origins, that is how I found your excellent Forum.
    Can anyone provide any information.
    It has Primus Sweden on the filler cap and pressure relief screw, and the tool for removing the jet and the NRV has Primus Sweden stamped on the shaft.
    The tank is copper and it has a pressure gauge with the writing in English ie. lbs per square inch, and is graduated 15 - 30 - 45 psi.
    The tank construction looks unusual as the cylinder ends are folded on the outside of the end plates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Looks cobbled, home-made

3. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome to the forum. First post and you've figured out how to post pictures correctly. There are some old hands who still struggle!

There are far more experienced people than me on the forum who will be able to add their thoughts. However, I would agree with iani, it has the appearance of a home made job using Primus parts. It seems to be a very large tank for a just a single burner.

Regards,
    Terry

4. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

The time and effort and skill which has gone into making it - priceless.

I like it a lot.

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi nibco, welcome on board!
    I agree with what others said, looks home-made, but by someone who knew pretty well what he was doing! Looks great! You will need an outer cap for the burner, no problem, these can easily be found. It looks like the bottom also swings open, could it be the fount can be stored 'inside' for traveling?

Best regards,

Wim

6. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

It appears to have been made by a left-handed person. I'd have put the pump on the other end for convenience.

Gerry

7. Bom Bom Bom Bom

All my Primus and other three leggers have a left hand pump. Which is convenient because I'm left handed :doh:

8. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I bet you also have a left-handed mug for your coffee :lol:

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Definatly home made but I wonder what the parts were. Box looks like an ammo box but the grill is a perfect fit and bolted in place Tank was something else but the pipework is strange