Isopropyl or methanol alcohol?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Lane Puckett, May 21, 2006.

1. Lane Puckett

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. rik_uk3

Most methylated spirits sold in the UK are a mix of Ethanol and Methanol, which burns fine :)

3. Runegutt

As long as you do not use Single Malt its all OK.

Single malt is for Stovies

Meths are for stoves

4. Prindel

Well spoken Rune. But the best Single Malts are getting pretty expensive on this side of the pond, as good as a straight Single Malt can be one has to think twice before a purchase here now. :)

Ed

5. paul

I love whisky, but thankfully, my palette doesn't distinguish it's single or not. My local offy sells a cheap scotch which we've called 'Charlie's Revenge'. Takes a bit of your throat with it.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Lane,

Unless I'm mistaken, Isopropyl alchohol is cut with water, and should not be used in stoves, if you want to get your best performance. I remember meeting a fellow PCT Thru-hiker, many years ago, that was trying to run his pop can stove on Isopropyl. Didn't work worth beans, and in fact, his beans were cold, most of the time. Meths from Home Depot seems to burn hot, clean, and well, in all my Meths stove. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

7. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Isopropyl is excellent for cleaning the residue from sticky labels.

I know it doesn't take the debate much further, but thought I'd mention it ;)

8. Runegutt

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

If you are in the states, look for Heat in the yellow bottle, not the red bottle. Heat is the gas line additive used in cars in the winter. I cannot ever remember what is the difference, I just look for the yellow bottle.

10. Headless_T_Gunner

|imgRemoved|

S-L-X Denatured Alcohol, sold in one gallon cans at most home supply and paint stores. Says right on the front of the can "Clean-burning fuel for marine stoves."

Isopropyl alcohol has up to 30% water and is best used for disinfecting injection sites. Denatured alcohol is much better in stoves.

11. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Isopropyl, even if you can get it pure is poor fuel. Dirty burning and not much heat. Almost every home center, paint, and hardware store in the US and Canada stocks denatured alcohol in gallon tins. It will be called variously:

Denatured Alcohol,
    Alcohol fuel,
    Shellac thinner,
    Alcohol solvent,
    Marine Alcohol fuel,
    Chafing dish fuel,
    Fondue pot fuel.

Gerry

12. AllanD

Isopropyl (usually 2-propanol) is commonly sold in north america as "rubbing alcohol"
    at 70%, the remainder being water, as it's primary purpose is as a disinfectant.
    For some odd reason the 70% alvohol is a better germ killer than 100% pure.

Alcohol stoves as a class are generally designed to run on "Methylated spirits" (UK)
    or "Denatured Alcohol" (US) which is typically 90% Ethanol (grain Alcohol) and 10% Methanol (to poison it so the exise tax people don't need to worry about someone avoiding paying them their share of the tax), though In north america other substances are more commonly used to "denature" ethanol (commonly used are: Ethyl Acetate, Acetone Methyl-Ethyl Ketone, Toluene or any combination of these).

As far as the functioning of the stove any combination of Ethanol or Methanol in their pure or adulterated forms will work.

the reason that Ethanol (either denatured or pure) is prefer is because of the substances generated when combusted. Ethanol burns relatively ordorlessly whereas methanol when combusted (particularly if trace water contaminates the fuel or the stove is operated in humid air) generates significant quantities of Formeldehyde and/or Formic Acid in it's "flue gasses", to say the aroma of these substances are "unpleasant"
    is an understatement as large as the british empire used to be....

In point of fact, in colder (and preferably drier) conditions methanol would probably
    be more easily ignited and would produce somewhat more heat (potentially 15-20% more heat), but that presumes that the methylated (principally ethanol) spirit you were comparing pure methanol to didn't also contain acetone as well as methanol
    (even a trace of acetone makes ignition considerably easier because of acetone's high vapor pressure and low flash point.)

As for aquiring PURE (no water) Isopropyl?
    "Heet" "Iso-Dry" or other "dry-gas" (petrol water dispersants that are specifically labeled
    as isopropyl)

MOST commercially available fuel system water removers are actually methanol, because methanol is less expensive than isopropyl.
    Unfortunatly Methanol makes a poor fuel system water remover...

Why you ask? It's because methanol unlike isopropyl or anhydrous ethanol
    is NOT completely soluble in gasoline/petrol, it does not remain in solution.

the best fuel system water remover/dispersant would be anhydrous (water free)
    ethanol, but the exise people would have a fit... a photo finish second place is isopropyl.
    as isopropyl is perfectly soluble in petrol (or parrafin or diesel for that matter)

I think I've made all the important points, so I'll stop typing now:)

AllanD

13. Canadian Burner

Great information

Thanks!

14. oops56

Isopropyl alcohol at wall mart is 91 % and also this week i clean them out of heet as it is i burn a lot late at night in my shop doing boil time burn time etc. i found out if yo paint your pots black hi heat paint the BBQ kind you gain 1 min. faster plus a 5 or 6 in. pot will boil fast then any thats smaller[ P. S . its dark out side its raining cats and dogs plus boom boom no lighting yet