It finally happened...85 sprung a leak. :(

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MrAlexxx, Mar 29, 2020.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

I always dread the day that I have to do an NRV on an old brassie. My experience has been that more often than not you encounter them rounded off and difficult to remove. I've been pretty lucky only having to unsolder one pump tube on a recent project that I will post about once the final soldering job is done. It is my first soldering of a pump tube and I want to get it right! After that I have another one waiting for the same surgery. Plenty of free time now what with recent world events so no time like the present to get them finally sorted out.

Anyways... yesterday's project was removal and replacement of the pip on my big Primus 85. It had been a while since I had fired it and after priming fire and upon pulling the pump shaft outwards was greeted by a stinky mess of kero spewing out the hole on the pump cap. YUCK!!! Oh..oh...I don't think it's supposed to be like that! :(

Here we go. Pump out.

1.JPG

The procedure I thought would be like any standard pip re & re but no. If my memory serves me right I vaguely remembered John (Presscall) doing the same thing not that long ago? Found out pretty quick that it wasn't like doing a standard NRV pip. Maybe I should have looked John's post up? I don't remember this part. lol

Standard wrench too short! :(

2.JPG

Ahhhhh...it's all becoming clearer now...maybe John did have to make some extension thing? Hmmmm...anyways...easy enough. Handle pops out of the NRV wrench and grabbed a piece of brass pipe drilled a couple of quick holes and used a pin to line up the holes in the pipe and wrench and viola. Longer wrench and bigger handle for the all important extra leverage.

5.JPG

Bear hug on the stove with one arm...expecting the worst...TWIST wrench...all rather anticlimactic. With a nice easy pop sound the tension in the air was eased. The NRV was free. Yay! :)

However...no amount of shaking and spanking of the backside of the stove until my hand was sore would dislodge that stubborn NRV. What could possibly be holding on to it? Seemed to remember reading about a member...not sure who??...using a bamboo skewer to dislodge an NRV that was hung up. At least I think I read something like that here. If not then maybe it could be my first shareable helpful idea?? Hey a guy has to start someplace with something. lol

Got a skewer forced it into the hole in the end of the NRV and guess what?
    Maybe the lead washer hanging it up a bit? Who knows...?? Regardless...here comes the little bugger...

7.JPG

The lead washer blew out with some compressed air. Fought with those a few times. Sometimes one thing works and another time something else works. Another good tip picked up on here from Ken, I think?? Compressed air is your friend. Thank you Sir.

Old pippy was nothing but crumbly cork. Maybe original or not but a good possibility it was. Time for a change, out with the old and in with the new-fangled super-duper high-performance FettleBox pip. I'm expecting outstanding performance as usual! :)

8.JPG

Went with a new lead NRV washer from FettleBox....(Take note of the free advertising I'm giving you here! :)) and new pip and before you could say lickity-split full cup of prime flame was burning. How exciting here we go!

9.JPG

Lit right up with a nice blue flame. Let it warm up for a minute I think it looks like its burning okay? Plenty hot for sure. I took a little off of the homemade artillery shell flame ring as per George's suggestion. I think it was George who suggested that? Maybe still a little too high?

10.JPG

Pumped it a bunch more and now it's starting to roar and no fuel leaks!

11.JPG

Artillery shell flame ring starting to get red. It's held up well and I'd suspect it will continue to do so. I think the flame ring looks good. Weird how that shell thing worked out! lol

12.JPG

Let it burn for about 30 minutes. I still have no idea what I will ever use it for but it's definitely all good fun.

13.JPG

Lastly...many thanks to all of those who have helped me with tips and ideas not only with this stove but my many others. A few names pop out at me and I'm sure I'll forget one or two of you but you know who you are. So...many thanks to George, Tony, Harder, Ian, Duane, Ken, Ed, Doc...the list goes on...*scratches head*...Ohhh yeah...that John guy especially. lol

Without your help John this would never of become anything. Still enjoy firing it every time like it was the first time. Thank you Sir.

Alex

2. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice work! Dang, that thing is a monster, haha. Love it.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I need a pot stand for my large kero burner.
    Duane

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @MrAlexxx . Great post and I am glad you got the NRV fixed and the stove performing so well.
    The flame ring will now be very well annealed if you want to tweak its shape.
    Here is a post on Primus flame-ring dimensions. Your stove model is not included alas, but you should be able to scale the needed dimensions from those provided:

Flame Ring Dimensions

Thanks for posting.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@MrAlexxx
    You got the job done right enough Alex. Well done!

I had to scratch my head to recall when I’d to last create an extra-long NRV tool and it was when I was working on an Optimus 155.

DD12BD8D-AA62-4366-AB1B-AC09DCF8DB4F.jpeg

Irony is the pump tube should unscrew on the Optimus but as @esarratt said in a recent post on recovering his pump O-ring
    ... I had the same concerns, much like it’s preferable to remove an NRV by the direct route if possible rather than pump tube removal and re-soldering - unless you’re Gary (@redspeedster) who knows no fear on such matters.

John

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Glad you got it fixed. Seems fettling a stove many times requires something unique. Glad you worked it out.

As for the compressed air ... I do not recall.

7. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Thanks guys! I read so many posts on here of someone doing this and that and then the next guy doing something and its easy to get mixed up. Regardless of who did what CCS is undoubtedly the best source on the planet for shared information. PERIOD! :)

Now on to that next pump tube soldering job.

Alex

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I also have C.R.S.

9. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

@snwcmpr

Hmmmm...I can only guess at what that might be. Something to do with old age and memory?? If not then I've already forgotten what my other ideas were. lol

Alex

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Cannot Remember SH!T

11. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

@snwcmpr

Huh? What were we talking about???

Yeah...yeah....I get it and I got it! lol :)

Alex

12. Simes

Simes Subscriber

CRS...:D :D :D