It's possible my latest stove buy aint' gonna show up!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yes, I thought he had the good taste in leaving us already after that harsh attack he made on Spiritburner some months ago.
    I guess he didn't got the attention he wanted at that time, so he had to make a second exit, though it just became confusing rather than chocking.:lol:

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

He did not leave earlier, he was banned temporarily.

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Well, if he took my post wrong??....not sure what to say. I was simply looking for good information.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Gents and Ladies,

In truth, after learning about his vicious attack on Ross, I am glad he's gone. To me, he seemed to be negative, more times than not. And, when he ran up against a problem, which he often did, and asked for help, I tried to help him several times, but he never wanted to take my advice, and continued to stumble on, learning nothing and accomplishing nothing. More advice given, just to be ignored. No problems solved. My take on him is that he has a chip on his shoulder for the World, most everybody in it. He came across as Iconoclastic, much of the time, at least in my eyes.

However, it's too bad it came down this way, or that he felt that he had to be the way he was. CCS is a friendly, helpful, and easy-going place to live, most of the time. I find it sad that he never seemed to see that side of it here. I hope he finds happiness someplace else, but rather doubt his ability to BE happy. My 'tuppence, for what they are worth. And @Majicwrench , I, too, was taken aback by his response to your post, which I took to be an honest and pertinent question. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

No, he's fallen victim to Royal Mail's deliberately vague shipping regulations. Nowhere in their list of restricted or banned items does 'camping stove' or 'item that has contained flammable liquid' appear. The catch-all is their phrase, "We reserve the right to refuse any other item banned by law or that in our opinion may be harmful or dangerous to our customers or employees."

Unless the stove was full of fuel, the seller will probably be refunded by Ebay. Ebay's Global Shipping Programme in the UK is run by Pitney Bowes. I once emailed Pitney Bowes to ask how they dispose of seized items - auction? - but they refused to tell me due to "commercial confidentiality".

6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Call me jaded, but I interpret that as "snaffled by whatever employee found whatever you were shipping interesting." If pressed for an answer by an appropriate authority, I'm sure all they'd admit to would be "municipal waste disposal service" or something similar.

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Gosh no, Mark, I never thought it was. I saw no connection but merely reflected on his departure, which as has been said seemed to have been in prospect for a while - don’t know why.

John

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Speculation Alert.
    Maybe this time he left on his terms, last time was not (As in temporary ban).

9. Christer Carlsson

No, I think you are very wrong.

If you really read what he wrote the other time, you will see that it was made before his temporarily ban.
    And It will take a very good will to not see that post as a final goodbye...
    Read it again, please.

And yet he popped up again to make a second (final?) exit.

There might be a third!
    Stay tuned...

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I have avoided saying anything on the departure of Rickybob so far.
    In all my years as a moderator of CCS I have not imposed any ban, permanent or temporary, on anyone.
    However Rickybob's last temporary two week ban was given by me.
    His comments towards CCS and Ross were disgraceful and spiteful.

You might be interested to know that my temporary ban was the last in a number of temporary bans on Rickybob from CCS.
    As Doc has surmised, he seemed to have a huge chip on his shoulder.
    I hope he closed the door when he left.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I think you misunderstand me.
    Obviously he said something before his temporary ban. That would be why he was banned.
    I did not know of more than the one after the comment about Ross.

12. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

@Doc Mark I salute your intention to share the loss with the seller. I, too, find the notion that "blame" or "fault" must be assigned in such situations to be anachronistic and, in truth, barbaric. Yet it's the whole basis of many kinds of insurance. Ugh.

Rickybob is certainly a prickly character, and I crossed swords with him on occasion. Nonetheless, I found many of his posts interesting. He's an out-of-the-box thinker, and I'll miss him. Many of us, I think, have some pretty rough edges, as that seems to go with a propensity to restore and use old equipment, or to knock 3 seconds off of boiling time. Most of us have seemed better able than he to write diplomatically and/or to apologise after giving offense. His diatribe against Ross was unacceptable, and if he felt unable to restrain himself from similar posts, then leaving was the correct response. As I've said, though, I will miss his contributions and his creativity.

....Arch

13. Christer Carlsson

No, I understood what you meant. I just think you are misunderstanding how it is.
    It's really not so important, but the post he made before he was temporarily banned is as I see it his own (first) goodbye from the site.
    And as such very much made on his own terms. His own choice all the way.
    The ban was rather a reaction of the tasteless way he choose to leave us that first time.

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Seriously?

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Lads and Lassies,

Yesterday, I got the final message from eBay that my package would not be delivered, nor given back to the seller. I also, FINALLY, got a note from the seller, who seemed quite unfluttered by the whole thing. He predicted, correctly, that I'd be given a full refund, and did not bemoan the loss of his item. Instead of offered me a chance at another oven, but without it's stand. I sent him a note, informing him that I was very sorry about the happenstance, and asked if he, too, would be getting a refund from eBay. So, far, I've not heard back from him, but IF he is going to come up short, then I will broach my idea of sending him at least some of the money he lost. Judging by his casual attitude during this fiasco, he might not be interested in my offer. We'll see how it turns out......

If I may make an aside about some of the continuing back and forth in this thread: Please, let us know bicker amongst ourselves, Mates. I think there is quite a bit of "misunderstanding" going on, on both sides of the issue. I understood more of why RB's odd departure went down, by reading some older posts, and seeing just how horrid he was to Ross, and some of the Mods. As has been said, some of his posts were quite interesting, but personally, I just could not get past his overall caustic attitude about almost everything. And, some of his name-calling is simply unacceptable, PERIOD, even if he was a good friend! Let us all back off a bit, and remember why we are here. Also, remember that Ross and the Mods have an herculean task in helping CCS run smoothly. Hopefully, that can knock off the rough edges that we all possess from time to time, so we can continue to move on down the road of Stove enjoyment, together.

When I hear back from the seller, I'll let you know how it turns out in regards to him being refunded by the bay, or at least in part, by my sending him some coin. Thank you all for your comments, and advice in this conundrum. I'm a bit more leery of buying stoves from the UK, now, but, until all this went down, I'd had nary a problem. So, who knows??? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Hi Doc,
    I'm leery about sending stoves abroad! Sad it comes to that.

With regard the other matter. Water off a ducks back. I get worse abuse off my mates!

17. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Thanks Ross for all you do. Brad

18. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Actually, fault does not really enter into it. Remember, we're talking about a personal property transaction, not a personal injury claim based upon negligence or other "fault".
    A whole complex of means of dealing with such situations has grown up in commercial law over the generations, and indeed, centuries, inasmuch as trade and commerce go back forever.
    There are many situations in which risk of loss has to be determined, in cases that don't involve negligence or moral fault. I.e., of two "innocent" parties to a sale, for instance, who bears the risk of loss? It isn't barbaric; in fact, it's civilized.
    The one who puts an item up for sale in a commercial context and solicits buyers, and at least has some choices over the means of shipment, then receives money from a responding buyer, will bear the risk. eBay's rules would seem to encode understood practice.

19. Marc

Marc Subscriber

We don't use the term fault, we use the term risk. It only denotes who pays for the loss, not who caused it.

20. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Well washed out and wrapped in several sealed plastic bags and labelled as camping equipment has worked for me.....so far!
    Nick