I've never paid too much for a stove,

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by cottage hill bill, Jan 18, 2021.

1. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

but I have bought a few too early. About ten years early on this one at least but it popped up with a buy it now price and I'm currently a bit obsessed with Goldberg Brothers stoves. This will make the third one I've dragged in. Badged as a "Staco" sure-fire stove Shaefer Tent and Awning Company it is indisputably a Goldberg Bros. product. It is nearly identical, as far as I can tell to the Wizard stove in this thread. Wizard stove
    The giveaways are the cast grates bearing the Goldberg Bros. GB logo, the sure fire name and the general construction. One sign of a Goldberg Bros stove is the folded sheet metal manifold. Another feature of Goldberg Bros. stoves is the slim design. Closed this stove is only 3 3/4" high.

Goldberg Bros. were located in Denver CO. as was Shaefer Tent., Burch was in Pueblo CO. so not much of a stretch to see that like Coleman, AGM and Prentiss Wabers, Goldberg Bros. realized letting others put their name on Goldberg products was a way to sell more stoves. I'm using the seller's photos below since it will be another three weeks before I get my arm out of this stupid sling and can even think about fettling anything. The wind screen is completely separate but does stow under the lid when the stove is closed. Hope to do a much fuller write up of Goldberg Bros and their products in the near future.

Staco 3.jpg
    Staco 6.jpg Staco 2.jpg
    Staco 5.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

My compliments nevertheless Reese on your resourcefulness and commitment to CCS participation meanwhile by sharing those pics and your excellent commentary.

Good to have another perspective on that Wizard stove too, which had me stumped when that surfaced.

A grand project to ease you back into fettling in due course. I wish you a sure and speedy recovery friend.

John

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Neat, will be nice to get more info on operating it and the black piece between the case and tank.
    Duane

4. cottage hill bill

From the patents I have been able to find it looks like this stove and the Wizard date somewhere in the range of 1921-1924. I realize using patents as a dating mechanism is somewhat tenuous. In the US the time between applying for a patent and the patent being granted is usually 2-3 years. I've seen some as long as 7 years. I try to use clues like "patent applied for" or "patented" or an actual patent number to help. Most companies would put a product into production as soon as they applied for a patent, so "applied for" versus "patented" can help if you know the application and award dates. Fortunately, both are on US patents if you can find the document.

@presscall Thanks for the kind words John.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. cottage hill bill

@hikerduane The piece at the end is another hallmark of Goldberg Bros. stoves. It is an added piece of case to protect the generator when the tank is stowed. This picture shows it better. All of these pictures are with the legs only partially deployed. The wire legs fold completely under so the the sharp U bend is the foot of the leg. With legs in proper position that extra piece of case is swung underneath the stove out of the way. With the case closed it is up tight against the side of the case and held there by the edge of the lid which extends a bit past the case body.
    Staco 7.jpg

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you. Is the knob at the front dangling there and out of position or does it swivel maybe?
    Duane

7. cottage hill bill

@hikerduane Secondary burner control. It's at midrange now, pivots left to line up with the rod, then 90 degrees right to stow. I think it's a push-pull but the valve is seized. Soaking in penetrating oil now.

8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

There is only one Goldberg Bros. stove in the reference gallery and you've got three of them. I suppose I shouldn't complain since I haven't put my Goldberg in the reference gallery either. We really should get on that. I'd love to see your stoves.

Ben

9. cottage hill bill

@z1ulike Ben, as soon as I'm fully functional I intend to get the last two fettled, get some good pictures and write an article for the Coleman Light. Would you send me some pictures of your stove? I'm really trying to research the GB stoves. The company is still in business but the family has been out of it since 1977. No one at the company knows much about the stoves, though they have been very positive sharing what they did know. I'm hoping to contact a family member that could shed some light on the early days.

10. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

11. cottage hill bill

@z1ulike Ben, Thanks. One of mine is the same. The lead seal on the fuel fill cap was shot and the matching taper on the fill cap had a rough spot. After about two weeks of fighting with it I finally resorted to cutting a viton gasket. Not original but it let me get the stove working. Cleaning all those slots on the burners is a real joy too. Found a single edge razor blade works. Thankfully the gland nut on the pivot for the fuel tank doesn't leak, don't know how I'd fix that. Very interesting flame pattern from from those burners. At full open mine creates a definite swirling pattern.