Juliands NRV difference?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by dday, Mar 15, 2020.

1. dday

dday Subscriber

Hi everyone, I’m in need again of half dozen NRV’s for my Euro stoves and coleman 241 lanterns and it’s been years since I’ve bought. I think last time I bought, I purchased from basecamp or possibly one of the guys on this forum, but am sadly out now. I also bought a few online but I remember them not threading in very well so I just scrapped them. I see Juliands has two different lots available (one lot with 4 pieces and stamping on the head, and another lot that comes with jets and not showing the Stamping) and I’m wondering if one is different or better than the other. I had a few in stock that were marked Sweden and those were great NRV’s. Does anyone have any recommendations on these or maybe another source? Thanks in advance Gents!!!
    Dan

2. Simes

Simes R.I.P.

@dday, Dan you're probably better off with a rebuild kit rather than a complete valve. At least you know the threads are good and the head across the flats will fit a NRV tool.

If you kept the parts from old valves then a few kits will keep you in good valves for a long time.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

His NRV'S dont thread for me, so I just use them for parts. Using the innards is all.
    Duane

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I had to use an eye loupe and gently clean the burrs off of the NRVs I got. Then they did screw in.
    The heads were a bit big for the tool, so I used a small fine file to bring the width down enough to fit in the tool.

There are no new NRVs that are not like that.

I have a thread here somewhere dealing with that.

Ken

Warning NRV

In hindsight...

Warning NRV

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

6. snwcmpr

.... That I know of. That was a while back.

7. Plantpot United Kingdom

I got a refurb kit from Juliands a couple of days ago included was a nipple, filler cap seals and a NRV.

The nipple just spins in the burner, now using the original one the NRV threads binding and would not seal even with heavy tightening the lead washer showed no sign of squashing into the grooved end of the pump tube, kero pouring out of the pump, fitted pip and spring from the new into the old, now perfect, and the filler seal after 2 days has expanded and started to fail.

filler cap rubber.jpg

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Dan

My advice is The Base Camp or Fogas (fogas.se).

Cheers

Tony

@dday

9. Afterburner

Pictures in this post show the difference in NRV thread of old Primus and bad aftermarket NRV (from ebay): Warning NRV

Just for fun and information here is an OLD thread where there are dimensional drawings for NRV and pip holder: Making springs for NRVs

10. Spiritburner

I use the stove & heater in my workshop for occasional testing of other 3rd party washers & I get the same results. I will stand by the quality of my seals..... & I'm trying to be faster.

11. Plantpot United Kingdom

@Spiritburner

I have sent a polite email to Juliands giving fair feedback and to recommend him to contact his suppliers re the NRV, jet nipple and seals, so we will see what he says.

I have had a fair few of your seal kits for my lanterns and never had a problem with any of them, I can fully recommend your stuff.

Did you get my message on your website regarding the jet nipple for the optimus 00? do you carry the right size? or are they all the same per burner? ie large and small? If so I will place an order for a couple of jets and a new washer set for the 00.

Thanks!

12. Spiritburner

Hi - I'll be working through emails today. It's the standard nipple for the larger burner but it will fit the 00 no problem.

Thanks for the endorsement. I've just had a massive order for hundreds of pump leathers from a large stove manufacturer so it's all hands to the pumps at the moment - literally! They've tried 'cheap' in the past without success & I now supply them regularly.

13. Plantpot United Kingdom

@Spiritburner

Thanks for the jet info Ross, That's good to know, Ill send you an order later today, Thanks! Good luck with the pump leathers!

Gary

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I wish Ross carried the NRV'S, but I have extras now. Julian's a few years ago could not tell me the size of his nipples/jets. He does have a few things useful for us.
    Duane

15. Afterburner

Good and cheap is not in same package. Your pump leather cup's seems to make an exception. I think that a bit over pound for a leather made pump cup is bargain. :thumbup:

16. snwcmpr

Another happy customer.
    Fettlebox has always been the best.

I will repeat that it is likely that the threads of the NRV that you purchase new needs to have the leads of the thread cleaned up before use.

17. abman47

abman47 Subscriber

I am a simple tool. To ensure that the replacement NRV threads are compatible with your pump tube threads, chase the NRV threads with a steel(not brass) pump piston nut from a small bore(96, 111) pump.

18. dday

dday Subscriber

Thanks everyone and I think I’ll take your advice and go with some kits from Ross. I need a bunch of pump cups too. Thanks for everyone’s help and opinion. I sure appreciate it
    Dan

19. Duck

I’m like Duane, in that I wish Ross carried NRVs. It would have been nice to buy all my parts for my Optimus 45 from him. But I got some nrvs from Julianne and so far have no problems that I know of. Maybe I should replace the cracked bottom of the original Nrv with one from juliands and see if there is a difference.

20. Spiritburner

I dropped them in favour of the innards due to the inconsistent quality. I tend to focus more on the 'software' that i can make myself but if I get some time may investigate other hardware suppliers.