Just a White Box stove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by HunterStovie, Apr 14, 2019 at 2:57 AM.

1. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Thanks to @Doc Mark for mentioning the White Box stove. I thought I'd give one a try.

Here is the stove.

WB Stove 1.jpg

Here is the stove on fire.

WB Stove 2.jpg

Here is the stove on fire inside of a Primus Eta Spider windscreen.

WB Stove 3.jpg

Here is the stove on fire inside of a Primus Eta Spider windscreen, with a 1 liter Eta Pot.

WB Stove 4.jpg

Here is the stove on fire inside of a Primus Eta Spider windscreen, with a 1 liter Eta Pot boiling water.

WB Stove 5.jpg

Mike

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

3. Haggis

I’ve got one of those,,, only used it a couple of times... Pretty nifty design though...

Wants a wide pot on its narrow top,,, too awkward looking to suit me. Still a nifty design though...

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, @HunterStovie , Mike,

Thanks very much for your kind words, and I am very happy that you gave one a try. My own White Box Stove was V1, and it is wider, and more squat than the new V2 model. I'm not sure, just yet how V2 will fit into a Trangia kit, though the V1 fit perfectly, as you may have seen in some of my old posts. Interestingly, I, too, bought a V2 version recently, just to see how it compares with the original model. In my opinion, the White Box Stove beats all the other home-made Meths stoves, hands down, and it's not even close!!!! Thanks for posting the photos of yours in action. THAT is one amazingly effective little Meths stove, don't you think?!!! I think that Bill, the designer of the White Box Stove, is a genius, pure and simple, and he turns out a superbly crafted little stove!! Here's a review of his stellar little Meths stove, by an AT "thru" hiker:

"Let me tell you, you make an AMAZING stove! I just finished a SOBO thru hike on the AT, and this little baby kicked butt! I was hiking with a guy that used a Pocket Rocket, and almost every night I was done cleaning before he even started eating! I used a wide pot, the MSR Blacklite 1.5L, and it was the best system on the trail! Even other alcohol stoves did not compare to your double wall design, and the ease and safety. I never had a single problem with the stove- (Aside from the one occasion that there was no Yellow Heet and I had to use Red Heet, but I knew that was gonna be trouble, but after a few good burns, it de-gunked it no problem.) I sang your praises down the trail, and this little bugger worked flawlessly in all settings. Thank you for building such a great piece of camping equipment, and I will never use anything else! A. MacWilliams" From this eBay listing:

WHITE BOX ALCOHOL STOVE "NEXT GENERATION" BACKPACKING STOVE WITH WINDSCREEN

The reviewer specifically mentions using a wider pot, which is just perfect for us, and many others. Narrow pots are poor for actual cooking, as there is not enough bottom to make full use of the flames power. Though I have a fairly large selection of "cat food can" stoves, etc., once I got my V1 White Box Stove, I never had the need to use anything else, when wanting a micro stove that is flat-out amazing!!

Mike, glad you like yours, and I look forward to seeing it in action, as you use it more "in anger"!! Maybe just the thing, for a lightweight stove for hunting season! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Mike, did you make it, or buy it?
    A very nifty design. Inverted aluminum bottle parts.
    As to the comparison to the Cat Can style, it is a different flame. Bloom vs chimney flame. I like my Kitten Stove with simmer ring set inside a Caldera Cone.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @snwcmpr , Ken,

Bill, of White Box Stoves, only sells his stoves, he does not offer plans, of which I know. His work is so clean and professional, that, for $20 I really can't see even experimenting to make one of these yourself. Glad your Kitten if purring just right for you, my friend! Happy Sunday, and God Bless!

Doc

7. HunterStovie

@snwcmpr

One downside to this design is there is no way to shut it down so you have to use just enough fuel and let it burn out, but that is ok with me. It's only got 1 speed so you have to be careful if one decides to try cooking with it. The stove itself is pretty stout compared to the aluminum can ones I see on ebay. I'm still new to alcohol burners and have much to learn. I do like having options, maybe next year I will try the wood burners.

Mike

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

It is not made from an aluminum bottle?

9. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I have made some from aluminum beer bottles. The process is not beyond the skill of anyone here, and is a fun afternoon project. The neck of the bottle is cut and inverted into the base, making a double walled vessel. Lots of how toos on the inter web.
    Ivan 21FD84B2-8B9B-499E-870B-3CE178FDB928.jpeg 42CFF527-9DC7-4958-980C-ABBC33113E1D.jpeg 68D4B148-9616-4F31-B162-3E69A52E12ED.jpeg

10. HunterStovie

@snwcmpr

Yes it is made from aluminum bottles, and they are very well made.

Mike