Juwel 22 - burner head

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by endy, Mar 25, 2016.

1. endy

Hi,
    A few years ago I got a Juwel 22 very cheap on a flew market. But it's missing it's burner head. I tried to screw on one from a Juwel 33, 34 and one from the 123, but they are to small so they don't fit on the thread. Any ideas what could fit? Any ideas on how to fettle it?

Cheers: Endy

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. endy

Thanks. But the stove isn't just missing the burner plate but the whole burner bell.
    Endy

4. janders

janders Subscriber

Hi @endy

I had this discussion of burnerhead for a Juwel 25 with @Trojandog a while ago. We did not find a definitive solution, but the burnerbell of a 123R was the closest we could come up with. It is a bit too small to screw on directly though. BUT, it is available still, which makes it a possible solution.
    It might be possible to re-cut the thread on a 123R burner bell to make it fit.
    This is a question for the guys with the proper tools....
    Good luck!

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @endy and @janders.

My 25 is complete but my 22 is also missing its burner bell. I dug them out tonight and tested the following:

JS&S Lamb gasoline
    JS&S Lamb kerosene
    Campus 3
    Primus 71
    Svea 123
    Svea 123R
    Optimus 8
    Radius 46
    Radius 42

None fit. They are all too big for the 22 and all too small for the 25.

The closest for the 22 is the Radius 42, but it still just slips down over.

The closest for the 25 is the Svea 123R and the Radius 46. Either could probably be re-cut to fit, but obviously you need to know the correct thread.

I don't have the tools to measure the threads for the 22 and 25, but my brother-in-law probably does as he is a retired engineer with a large workshop. Unfortunately, he is away over Easter. I'll ring him next week and see if he can help (he only lives 30 minutes away).

A comparison of the threads, 25 on the left, 22 on the right (apologies for the quality, I only have a tablet handy):

IMG_20160325_230604.jpg

Interestingly, this is the first time I've put both stoves next to each other. I had not noticed before that the feed tube on the 25 comes from the upper part of the tank, while the 22 comes from the lower part:

IMG_20160325_230656.jpg

Terry

6. janders

janders Subscriber

@Trojandog & @endy
    Sorry, 22 is not 25 - I see that now. Endy, I was so certain it was a 25 you were asking about. :oops:

You can also add Primus 70 to the list of non-fitting bells.

7. endy

Just numbers. I am asking about the one without the regulator. So it's the 25 and not the 22 i think. :-k

8. Trojandog

Yes, the one without the regulator is the 25. It should say 'Juwel 25' on top of the tank.

9. janders

janders Subscriber

@endy I believe a picture or two would clear things up...

10. Afterburner

Mearuse the OD and pitch of the thread. Then some other burner bell could be re-treaded as mentioned above or suitable adapter could be make to fit some non original burner bell to it.

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Title asks for Juwel 22 burner info BUT ended up being re a 25.
    Terry,
    Re 22 burner head: total height is 27mm x top diameter 42mm. With the very limited sizes here for me to check, the closest was M8 1.0 (M9 was not available to check btw).
    Read on, but i'm suggesting you might consider brazing an M8 1.0 brass nut or fashion M8 1.0 bottom thread to a P71/Op80/Svea123/123R burner head. End result replacement burner head loosely threads down but once bottomed-out, it's snug and works fine as such. You have the male part, an M8 1.0 female thread, although loose, should fit on there as good or slightly better than original.
    I hadn't taken exception to my threads being loose and only note they are loose while checking it for this post. Other people w/22s might check their thread fit I expect a loose fit is typical and it needs to bottom-out and that snugs it.
    Pic below has my 22 on left and donor is a 123R (30 x 44mm), so taller and wider. Once donor is rethreaded it maybe worth to try it as-is.
    You can if needed, trim the brim to make it shorter (and slightly smaller diameter).
    Albeit a rather crude fix, if I had your problem I'd consider it.

100_2797.JPG

100_2801.JPG

thx omc
    PS like all models tried above the Meva also does not fit however unlike the others it's thread size is smaller than the 22. tag @Trojandog

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  12. endy

Fine!!! Now the next dark winter can come!!!

13. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

OLD THREAD ALERT

@Trojandog , could I prevail upon your good nature to measure the height and diameter of your 25 burner bell please Terry? :content:
    Useful sizes for modifying one for my own use, I think I have a spare 123R or 8R one to donate if its close enough :-k

Alec

14. Trojandog

Sorry Alec, all my stoves are packed away in boxes in prep for a house move.

Terry

15. janders

janders Subscriber

@Rangie
    Just photos, but you should be able to measure and compare. Burner bells in front of their respective stoves.
    IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2119.JPG