Juwel 6 (complete)

Discussion in 'Juwel No:6' started by Doug L, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

In the last several years I have been interested in these Juwel # 6 stoves.Of all that ive seen in that time only a few had trivets or burner plates and I think maybe one or two had had both. As i think back im not sure if any had trivet,burner plate and the original box.This one has all that plus the instruction papers. The burners plates came in 2 styles,cast iron with 3 ribs and the three eared type. I believe this three eared type came later then the cast iron type.

I.JPG

JJ.jpg juwel ad (2).jpg

CC.JPG

GG.JPG HH.JPG

BB.JPG

EE.JPG FF.JPG

DD.jpg DDD.JPG

A.jpg

J.jpg

AA.JPG 5.jpg

KK.JPG

One more note,this trivet while it looks the same as other original Juwel trivets is slightly smaller then then box then other ones I have.The bigger ones don't fit in this.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Doug L

That is very, very nice! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

3. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Sweet. Any idea as to vintage? I would guess pre-war, but which war? The ''Great'' one or the Rematch?
    Interesting use of American English phrasing in the instructions. "A can for alcohol is included in the outfit..." In Brit-speak it would be a ''Tin for Spirits is included with the Kit.'' Or ''Meths'' if later.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  4. threedots New Zealand

You lucky bugger stovie! :)
    Cheers, John

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Doug L An excellent set in wonderful condition, what a very rare survivor:thumbup: So few have complete original burners nevermind all of the rest of the fixtures and fittings. There are very few stoves and travel sets that can be said to be truly museum quality, but this is one. An invaluable addition to the reference gallery.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  6. richmay

richmay SotM Winner Subscriber

Excellent, very nice :thumbup:

7. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Sizzler as I look at the ads in old boating magazines these Juwel 6 stoves were from 1907 to somewhere in the early or mid teens.My guess is the start of WWl may have something to do with that.By the 1920s Juwel has no model 6 in there ads.
    One more note,these stoves are mostly found in the the north east USA as the distributors were in Boston and New York
    Juwel decal.jpg IMG_2204.JPG

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Doug L
    Very fine Doug. A question: the flame plate clearly doesn’t sit on those burner bowl ‘spikes’ and evidently hasn’t the three radial ribs of the other type of flame plate to distance it from the bowl fuel vapour entrance hole, so what prevents it from covering the hole?

Come to think of it, I’ve seen Juwel examples in the Gallery with the type of flame plate with the three ribs showing the ribs uppermost, which seems counter-intuitive if they’re intended as spacers. Same question would then apply, how come the plate doesn’t block the hole?

You’ll gather I’ve not yet laid my hands on a Juwel burner of this type - fuel tank yes, absent the burner.

John

9. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@presscall at a guess the surface that the three spreader plate tabs rest on is sloping downwards leaving the correct size gap for the flames to get through.

@Doug L how loud is this stove? I'm wondering if the flamelets start at the edge of the plate like on a Coleman (say a 400) or there is a flame underneath as there would be on a P96.

Regards
    John

10. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

John the ears are curved down to allow a the blue to escape and yes it sits between the spikes of the burner bell` same as the other type.
    IMG_7395.JPG

11. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Mine sounds more like a silent burner than roarer although it's a little louder than the typical silent. These are beautiful burners both in flame appearance and sound.

There is only a 2 to 3mm clearance between the bottom of the burner plate and the burner itself and there is about a 12mm center hole so I believe the area under the plate is mixing air and fuel vapor similar to the inside of a silent cap.

Beautiful stove Doug and excellent post!

12. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Makes sense as all US sales would cease in late 1917. Perhaps Barthel turned its production towards stoves for German officers' use in the trenches.

13. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@Ray123 thanks for confirming that the Jewel 6 is like a silent burner. I'm surprised that this burner arrangement isn't much more common in that case. It seems much simpler and more robust than the normal silent arrangement with inner and outer caps.

Regards
    John