1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel No.1P. 1920s

Discussion in 'Juwel No:1' started by igh371, Nov 16, 2015.

1. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

Standard specification maybe 1930s or more likely 1920s Juwel No.1P stove. Tanks are only marked 'No.1', with, according to the contemporary user's manual, the letter suffix added to stock and ordering literature to indicate which type of burner was fitted. The manual page illustrated is from the 1930s (link), and shows a different configuration of silent burner to that on this very slightly earlier stove.

DSC03386.JPG

DSC03368.JPG DSC03369.JPG DSC03370.JPG DSC03376.JPG DSC03371.JPG DSC03373.JPG DSC03375.JPG img001.jpg

Interesting flame pattern these older, wide, solid bottomed German silent burners. Only have a small Primus No.4 size flame spreader, but switch, from an odd little cone shaped flame when running unloaded, to a powerful directional blast with impressive boil times as soon as a pan or kettle is put in place:

DSC03377.JPG

DSC03387.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi ian, interesting stove. I beileve that my Juwel No.1, dating from the 1930s I think, is later than your one,

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/juwel-no1-fettling.7422/#post-71502

I notice that the legs have a totally different profile from your stove, with wide curves at the top, and formed termination at their base.

The tank engraving and embossing are also different.

Best Regards,
    George.

3. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

@kerophile, interesting that your No.1, for that is what it is, was acquired in Rome as this one too was picked up from Italy. The 'I.A.' stamped on the base, inside the 'Made in Germany' provenance mark, may possibly relate to import into Italy or an Italian agent, it has certainly been put on after the main markings and after the tank was assembled (note how it is dented in):
    DSC03375.JPG
    As to the relative dating of these 2 Juwel No.1s I'm not so sure, I can see some good reasons to put an argument together that it is in fact yours that is the older. That relief form of embossing certainly seems to appear on quite a few 1st 1/4 of twentieth century German stoves. Ian.