1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel No.9 Laboratory/Utility Burner

Discussion in 'Juwel No:9' started by Doug Eisemann, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Doug Eisemann

Doug Eisemann United States Subscriber

Here is one you may not see every day, not a camp stove, but still interesting. Note the concentrated flame type burner, which is unfortunately missing it's spirit cup.

Currently not a runner, and the restoration was mostly carried out by the former owner, who lacquered it, something which I am not fond of. Still more fettling to do as there are some lacquer drips and scratches, and I would love to see it run again.

My apologies for the poor photos due to low light conditions and no tripod.

1246842288-JuwelNr_opt.jpg 1246842329-JuwelNr_opt_2_.jpg 1246842361-JuwelNr_opt_3_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Doug,
    Can you post a photo of where the burner tube attaches to the tank? I wonder it you took off the reserve lid would a burner still fit? I am thinking maybe this is a retro fit by a second party. Where did you find it ?

Chuck

3. Doug Eisemann

Doug Eisemann United States Subscriber

I am fairly certain that this stove is as originally designed. As you can see, where the burner tube enters the tank, it is very well done, and soldered from the inside. Also, there are only 2 legs, and no evidence that there was a third. If you take a look at the Barthel Lab burners catalog, there is a very similar stove shown there, but not this exact model.
    This came from a friend of mine in Germany.
    he did not know much about the history, just that it was a fairly uncommon model.

Hope this helps.
    Doug E.

1246852978-JuwelNr_opt_6_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Doug,
    Very nice addition to your collection. I didn't relize it was using the burner tube as the 'third support'. Intresting solution to a crowded lab keeping the tank and assembly out of the way allowing the burner to stay low.

Thanks for the addtional photo !

Chuck