Juwel No19

Discussion in 'Juwel No:19' started by nmp, Jan 7, 2014.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Picked this up from a German antique dealer at a fair today it seems complete and was a very good price.

I love the quality of Juwel stoves.

I am pretty certain that its pre war and its a marvel that its survived complete the only thing missing is the catch off the tin.
    The folding pricker is interesting and has the number 015 on it, jet size?

1389124070-full.jpg 1389124107-folded_position.jpg 1389124144-feet.jpg 1389124189-tank_joint_detail.jpg 1389124217-packed.jpg 1389124252-pricker_juwel.jpg 1389124292-instructions.jpg 1389124327-tank_joint_washer.jpg 1389124372-joint_screw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Ooh, nice one Nick. You've certainly got the knack of nailing some good finds.

Certainly pre-war, you've probably tracked it down in this catalogue by now

Juwel catalogue, Stove Ref Library

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. nmp

Hi John thanks for the pointer to the catalogue.

I note that it says petroleum for inland [home?]
    and benzine for export,so how do I tell if mine is an export model which is unlikely as it came from Europe,but the tank does have an X on it.

I intend getting it running so the correct fuel will be important or are benzine and petrol the same and the catalogue differentiates for translation purposes?

The washer in the flexible joint is pretty hard as is the spare but appears to be some kind of rubber
    any ideas? are there any similar stoves that can give a clue I suppose Viton would be the modern substitute?
    Cheers Nick

4. nmp

sorry double entry.!!!

5. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

thats about the oddest set up i have seen so far!
    why in the world did they make a stove with a off set burner??...looks like a early MSR mixed with a Primus.

6. nmp

Dave
    The idea is that you can put a large pan on the tripod and the tank does not overheat,well that's what I have gleaned so far!!
    Odd but interesting don't you agree?
    Its not a common model so my guess is that it was never in much demand!
    Nick

7. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Cracking find Nick! Must be quite rare. I've never seen anything like it. Judging by the pressure release on the filler cap, I would say it runs on paraffin/kerosene (which in German is Petroleum). I decided to give Ardingly a miss this time as I thought the weather would put many sellers off. Fingers crossed for the Crawley v Bristol Rovers FA Cup game tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope. Standing water in many fields around here. 4th attempt to settle the tie! They must be desperate for a crowd as all seats are £5.

Regards,
    Terry

8. nmp

Good Move Terry
    very few stalls compared to normal.I should think it will be deserted tomorrow even the european dealers were packing up they must have lost a fortune.

The tractors were kept busy dragging peoples vehicles out of the mud.
    I was surprised that the stewards were directing people onto the grass to park, where have the organisers been for the last few weeks??

Good luck with the footie!
    Nick

9. Dutch_Peter

Hello Nick,

What a great and unusual stove !!

The manual states that it can be used with both petrol or paraffin after changing the jet (I've added a translation :D ) :
    ~~~~
    Nach Auswechseln der Benzinduese durch eine Petroleumduese kann der Kocher ohne weiteres auch mit Petroleum gebrannt werden.
    --> After exchange of the Petrol jet with a Paraffin jet can the stove without else also with Paraffin be used.

Die Anwaermung, welche moeglichst nur mit Spiritus vorgenommen werden soll, kann aber noetigenfalls auch mit Benzin erfolgen, sodass in diesem Falle nur ein Brennstoff fuer den Betrieb in Frage kommt.
    --> The preheating, which preferrably only with meths must be done, can but if needed also with Petrol be done, so that in this case only one fuel for the use comes into question.
    ~~~~

Of course it would be safer to use paraffin, at least before checking all the seals :)

Cheers,
    Peter

Edit:
    Benzin = Petrol (UK) / Gasoline (US)
    Petroleum = Paraffin (UK) / Kerosene (US)

10. nmp

Thanks for that Peter

All I need to find out is the relevant jet sizes for each fuel,maybe there is a clue elsewhere in the instructions.

Mybe I could send you a scan of the whole document?

thanks again Nick

11. Dutch_Peter

Hello Nick,

You're welcome and thank you too; I like to sharpen my language skills :) Yes please send the scan. I'm off to bed now but will look at it tomorrow evening.

Peter

12. presscall

I'd be loathe to use petrol/Aspen/Coleman fuel in the Juwel.

I've no doubt that with replacement viton seals (Fettlebox the obvious source) the fire hazard would be minimal but I've occasionally found that due to a tiny scratch or speck on a brass surface, or unexpectedly soft spring tension an NRV won't seal first go and that knuckle joint adds another unknown quantity. It'd be a great shame to see the thing wreathed in flames and melting solder joints!

Since it's capable of vapourising paraffin I'd stick with that if it were me, at least for the initial firings. With the seals proven, curiousity might prompt me to try the alternative fuel.

Concerning jet sizes, a 'regular' 0.32mm paraffin jet would be a useful starting point. It would work for the Aspen fuel too, I expect, though not offering optimum performance. A worn (enlarged jet orifice and overfuelling) paraffin jet would probably work well with the Aspen.

Brilliant stove, but compared to the usual format for a classic brass stove it puts this Toy Story character in mind somehow ...

1389179480-untitled.jpg

John

13. nmp

How Rude!

Seriously I will get the jet out and test it for size with a pricker and then try a normal roarer jet in when I have changed the washers etc.
    I assume the petrol jet orifice is smaller?
    The Gustav Barthal prickers have the No5369 on them and mic. up at 0.36mm and are a snug fit in the jet, allowing for a bit of corrosion that makes the jet .32mm. suitable for a trial run at kero me thinks.

I will have to get a sheet of Viton the replacement washer is 2.15mm thick and hard.the filler cap washer in one of Ross's kits for a No1/5 etc is 1.5 approx so I may try that unless some one has a bit 2.1mm thick?

Nick

14. presscall

No, the petrol jet orifice would be a touch larger than the one for paraffin, Nick.

Think Primus Omnifuel where the sequence is paraffin smallest jet hole, petrol next largest, lpg largest.

John

15. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Nice find Nick and interesting feedback read

16. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Wow, just WOW! What a cool stove. I couldn't read the whole thread, but I sure like the stove!

17. nmp

Matukat

As you say it is a cool stove an oddity; interesting, but it makes you wonder about how much demand there would have been for a company to go to all the trouble of tooling up and producing it.

John
    I am interested to hear that the petrol jet would be bigger I would have thought that the higher the octane of a fuel the smaller the jet would be!But that is what its all about learning things you took for granted.

My biggest surprise with this one is that its still altogether I often wonder what a stove has been part of and the stories they could tell.

BEen looking at Viton on Ecove as all of the washers are non standard once i get some and start I will thread in the fettling forum.
    Cheers Nick

18. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

That's a great start to the new year Nick! Great find. Never seen one of those in the 'flesh'.

19. nmp

Ross
    Now I know its a rare beast if you have never seen one!
    I intend running it on Kero with a .32mm jet that is already fitted once I have replaced washers, extinguisher at the ready!
    Any thoughts? Should be ok as long as the burner is not choked it looks well corroded to the spirit cup and I would be a bit nervous about removing it in case of damage to to threads etc.
    Nick

20. Pinky

Pinky Subscriber

Pickle my peaches!

What a cool find!

It's like a giraffe neck!

1389413304-giraffe2.jpg

It certainly is a clever bit of engineering though. Can't wait to see flame shots!!!