K-1 vs 1-K

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Quick Cal, Nov 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM.

1. Quick Cal

Quick Cal United States Subscriber

Just wondering if these are one in the same. Would one burn cleaner in our little stoves and such things as Tilley lamps, Coleman lanterns, Perfection heaters, and Aladdin wick lamps. I would like to get a all for one fuel if I can.

I can get pump clear K-1 for $5 a gallon. Or I can get the Crown 1-K for $30 plus tax.

If the Crown burns cleaner I'll go for that since I'll be using indoors. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, QC,

I use both, and the only real difference I can ascertain, is that the pump kero seems to have more odor than the water white stuff. Not bad, mind you, just a bit more kero smell. Both seem to burn quite well, and I buy my pump K1 kero in 5 gallon tins that I continue to refill when necessary. Worth the savings, IMHO. Let us know what you decide to do. BTW, we burn the pump K-1 kero in our KeroSun space heater, and other such heaters, inside the house, and as long as you leave a window cracked upon, for fresh air, it works fine. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I noticed a distinct stink when I bought some pump kero, thought it was more stove oil than kerosene. I've been around fuels on one past job, so my thoughts leaned towards stove oil. I do find that dyed kero doesn't burn cleanly in some of my stoves and the cobra burner models will not run on dyed kero at all.
    Do you plan on using lots of kero? Five gallons last me maybe three years or more. I've paid around $45 for a can of kero at HD or Lowes.
    Duane

4. Quick Cal

The pump kero is not dyed.

And it's not like I'm going to use it as my main heating source. But I would like to use my Perfection heater once in awhile just for fun. I'm sure 5 gal would last me awhile too.

My tractor Supply has the Crown for $29.99.

5. Quick Cal

BTW. That's $30 for 5 gallons of the Crown.

I don't see a way to edit my op?

6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I've never noticed a difference between the fuels in my pressure appliances. Expensive kero, cheap kero, Jet A, etc all burns fine. Jet I do notice a difference in the way the raw fuel smells, some serious sulfur content there I'd guess.

My Dietz lanterns definitely smell worse on the poorer quality fuels. If using inside, use the good stuff. Aladdins will burn whatever slop you have, even diesel, odorlessly. Not recommended, obviously.

Editing time is limited to I believe 10 mins for non subscribers and 30 minutes for subscribers. Beyond that the posts are locked and only moderator editing is possible.

7. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Crown looks to be a good price in your area and I've seen people here write that they like it. I haven't tried this brand lately but 10 years ago it had a sulfur smell and I didn't care for it in my wick heater and I got slightly yellow flame tips when using in a pressure stove. Putting a pot on the stove got the flame back to blue easy enough but as a blue flame enthusiast I haven't purchased it again and it's the only premium brand I stay away from. Maybe it's changed since my last experience.

I use Klean Strip or Sunnyside 1-K in my stoves and pump kero in my heaters. Klean Strip and Sunnyside both cost slightly less than $11 per gallon. A gallon goes far in a stove or lamp. Heaters are another story. A 23K BTU kero heater can burn 6 hours on a gallon of fuel while the smaller heaters can go 10 to 15 hours per gallon. Pump kero at $5 or less makes kero heater use much more affordable.

8. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Subscriber

If I didn't already have a dedicated container for kerosene, I'd buy the prepackaged stuff at the store. The cost of a nice kerosene jug is going to be more than the extra buck a gallon for the crown. Those new spouts on the new fuel containers are a major pain in my nether regions as well!

On a side note, I called my local airport and was told that Jet-A is currently $3.25/gallon, and that they would happily sell me 5 gallons if their POS was working, but it's not, and they have no idea when it will be fixed! :roll:

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I grabbed a 55 gallon drum of kero that came up on CL for $100, he had four available and I wish I had taken all of them. Still have ~1/4 of it left.

When that's gone, Jet A at the airport is my plan.

10. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

$3.25 per US gallon at the local Sheetz for undyed K1 at the pump. I use it in the Toyokuni heater in my garage/shop. I use the Crown K1 from Lowes, buy 5 gallons at a time for the stoves, about $8 a gallon. I use lamp oil in the Dietz lanterns, no smell.

11. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Subscriber

@Quick Cal What did you decide to do? Your participation on this topic is paramount!

12. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

We are planning a family Thanksgiving, under a tarp / portable garage in my son's large back yard. I have several kerosene heaters and a bowl fire, and hope to provide some warmth. My initial ideal was to buy some JetA at the local airport. Nope, they don'e sell it for non-aviation uses....

I then went to plan "B" and found that Walmart offered 5 gal. of Klean Strip 1-K Kerosene Heater Fuel for $21.68! I ordered immediately, and my son picked it up. It wasn't available in every Walmart, but the one near my son did. Check you local Walmart to see if you can get it.

Paul

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Now that's a good price for Klean Strip kero!