Kampkook Model 3

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by PETER CRAVEN, Oct 18, 2020.

1. PETER CRAVEN United States

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Very nice,,, I have one of those too,,, delightful stove, and quite heavy for its compact size.

3. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I do like the older American double burners. I have a few early Prentiss Wabers models and a Coleman 1 is high on my wish list. The vertical tank sets this AGM apart (well as far as I know). Congratulations on a fine stove.

4. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Seems I remember the Model 3 came in three sizes: a small and large 2-burner, similar to the Coleman 425 and Coleman 413, and then a larger a 3-burner,,, all called the Model 3... Even then, there were variations/modifications in the design. The one example I have, the smallest, was made 1924 or later, with the attached folding legs and “wings”...

B1544940-2F1D-4CBA-A43E-5408D9D0F14D.jpeg

536C7060-47C0-4C04-8A2A-C5A63A5E5481.jpeg

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Excellent debut here, Peter!

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome Peter, thank you.

re Haggis:
    I do like the No.3s and do not want to be a counterpoint but have a few comments.
    I can't relate to seeing any size variations to the No.3s (not yet. i have that to look fwd to?).
    There are AGM stove variations very similar in appearance to No.3 but those would have a different model# as i recall.
    From what I've seen, design variations of the AGM No.3s are few.
    One unique No.3 I can recall is Scouterjan's, which he states is "different".

As it turns out Peter's No.3 is also "different".
    Re his "early 1920s" vintage: with nameplate as a guide, i "want" to say it's c.1920 and that's probably accurate but as a confirmed detail, for now I'd say it's "pre-1922"
    Re "pre-1922" examples it would typically have:
    "peg legs and removable top".
    Putting aside that Peter's has such tall legs.
    Of the many examples so far, if there is a hinged top, that began c.1922 and of those, we see a combination: "hinged top & grate and curved legs" (of that typical combination his has only the hinged top).

Back to Haggis comment of variations / modifications... (again tall legs aside) this one having peg legs with hinged top is an example we've not yet seen, iirc. This is interesting, thanks again.
    @PETER CRAVEN

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  7. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

This old add, showing an earlier version of the legs, mentions the 3 sizes...

Seems like many of these stove models lived in tradition. Something like: early, late early, early late, and late,,, finally a new model would come along.

293C4CDD-1EF6-477F-87DA-9A4E286C9744.jpeg