KampkooK No.3

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by rbhodges, Aug 28, 2011.

1. rbhodges

This AMG No. 3 is a recent acquisition here. I found it while looking for a tank gen and valve, for my a Kampkook 44. I think this must a very early one since the “KampkooK” is not the usual registered trade mark. A look at the tag also shows that pendents are pending. Not the normal list of dates starting at 1921. I have seen only one other Kampkook stove with stile pump I have. The pump attaches to the tank by short rubber hose and screws into the fillercap. These stoves were very well made, and so long as the steel parts don't rust through, and all the parts are there they stand the test of time and run. Mine only needed to have the dust blown off, a good look over, and some fresh fuel. This old stove is not “quick start”, but it did not take long to notice the dish in the main burner. I simply placed the end of generator in this pan and filled it with gas. Assembled the stove and lit it, and as a 1922 ad said the flame was clean and blue in under two minutes. Enjoy the pics

Rick

1314489045-IMG_1608.jpg

1314488748-IMG_1604.jpg 1314488794-IMG_1607.jpg 1314489012-IMG_1606.jpg 1314489073-IMG_1613.jpg 1314489099-IMG_1610.jpg |imgRemoved|'thumb' 1314489169-IMG_1615.jpg 1314489241-IMG_1629.jpg 1314489287-IMG_1633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Rik a very nice old classic and for a unrestored stove ut works superbly with a beautifull blue flame,even though it is not a quick start just a couple of mins of primming and its up and running,
    Will you be giving it a overhaul and paint job or keeping it in its found condition

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Rick, very nice one! Whereas "our" Europeian manufacturers made fine brass stoves, "your" American companies sure made wonderfull suitcase stoves! To bad these don't show up in my little home country, I'd sure like to have (and use!) one myself. Congrats on a great find!

Best regards,

Wim

4. rbhodges

I think I may. There is not a lot of origanal paint left, and a new coat of paint will help keep it from rusting away. The burner has allready been gone over. The tank will need only a very light clean as the tinning is still sound. All I would need is the decal for the tank. I see absolutly no eviddence of any other decals on this stove. The shame is I have no clue what the tank decal looked like.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

i agree Ric a new paint job will not only look superb but will protect and prevent any rust and being as it has lost nearly all the original paint it will be well worth it it would be wonderfull if you show some more pics with its new paint job

6. rbhodges

I'll do that. I would love to have an acurate date on this stove. I have seen this stile No.3 in adds from 1922. The tag however does not show any patent dates only patents pending. Was it made before 1921? When did AMG start making this stove?

Rick

7. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Rick

It could possibly be the first one they ever made, I think I said in a previous post somewhere, there were 5 different No 3's that I was aware of, and your label is different to all the others.
    Have got a virtual mint condition of this model.
    I love them.

8. rbhodges

Any Idea when they started making these?

Rick

9. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Rick

I have just had a look at one of the labels, the first No 3, was patented on August 9th 1921, and yours says Patent Pending, so that must be before.

Hope this helps
    Ian

10. rbhodges

Kind of what I've been thinking early 1921 or 1920. I just wish I could find adds or some other bit of info showing it as made that early.

Rick

11. rbhodges

I have come up with more information on this stove. Its seems that the patent was applied for July 21 1917. On August 9 1921 Patent No. 1,387,152 was awarded to Hans C. Hanson for his folding stove. For some reason the patent was reissued April 4 1922 N0. RE15,325. This patent seems to pertain to the the No.3 Kampkook though it would obviously apply to later models as well. I would have to say then that my stove could have been made as early as 1917? I am going back to the US patent office site to do more research on the trade mark. Maybe that will shed even more light.

Rick

12. whitegas

Hi guys. While this may be one of the earliest versions of the Model 3 its not the first...........The earliest version mainly differs in the front badge-there is no American on the badge yet, Kamp kook is two words not one yet, there is no (the ideal stove) yet, and it is identified as No.3 not Model 3, and as yours has patent pending. The only other difference is seen on the tank decal as the earliest ones are rectangular, white, with simple red lettering for instructions............At some point Kampkook becomes one word but still no Model 3 or no ideal stove but everything else is the same as above.

Then the badge changes to American Kampkook ,Model 3 is initiated and also the ideal stove is added, and unless yours has a later tank switched, the tank decal becomes the round label with blue and green that is to continue throughout this model............There might be a couple of subtle changes in the badge type style before the stove gets patent approval and then many changes happen such as, stove color changes from black to green, legs change to curved individual pull out, lid gets hinged and gets windscreens added, inside of lid gets a red logo decal, and at some point the pump loses the attached rubber hose, the tank cap gets smaller as well as the accompanying wrench hexagonal hole, the badge type style changes as well.

After this the only changes are in the badge dates, the inside lid decal has two or three color variations and the legs become attached from front to back as opposed to individual, but have the same curves, also at some point the burner caps change from cast iron to formed steel. I think this takes place when the stove changes to green and gets patented, although one of your caps (the right one) looks like steel (probably a replacement). Hope this helps and I welcome any input or arguments.

Cheers-Jim.

13. whitegas

I forgot to add that the badge reverts back to No.3 in the later examples. One could argue that yours is the oldest based on the fact that it states Model 3 as opposed to No.3, but the addition of the word 'American' and the words "the ideal camp stove" being added and carried through to consecutive models as well as the round tank label should clarify this.

I think I might have the oldest example of this model but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pictures to this site, not one of my strong points in a long list Lol! My 13 year old daughter could figure it out, I'm sure, but refuses to help especially if it concerns stoves Lol. Perhaps I can give her a monetary bribe unless someone on this site can help - have lots of picture of lots of stoves to share.

Cheers -Jim.

14. whitegas

Sorry I have to correct myself. The wrench hexagonal hole and tank cap get larger in the later stages of this model.

15. Absarokajoe

Here is a Kampkook I am thinking about buying and restoring.

20157265_1638370576204817_7605533754573469030_o.jpg

20157375_1638370579538150_3851023111004632260_o.jpg

16. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Great restoration project! Looks good for a 90+ year old! We have some very knowledgeable people here that can help you with any questions you have (myself, I don't know much about the old suitcase stoves, rather rare on the Old Continent... ;-) ).

Welcome on board.

Wim

17. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Here is an advert from 1922.

AGM Advert 1922.jpg

18. Matty

The earliest mention of KampKook I can find is from 1898. Obviously, that wasn't by AGM. The point of mentioning the 1898 one, there are others up until 1917, is because sometimes the lines can become blurred knowing just whom was responsible for what.

It's interesting to read that there was a patent from 1917 for an AGM stove. I can't find what I believe is an AGM stove until 1918. Having said that, I do think AGM were selling stoves in 1917 but not to the public. I won't go into that further as I always cause a firestorm :)

19. Matty

As coincidence would have it, I ran across this advert from 1931 during research for another product and thought you might be interested. It was more the pump that took my eye.

AGM?1931.jpg

20. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

That looks a lot like a Prentiss Wabers #8.

....Arch