Kerosene prices

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by snwcmpr, Sep 12, 2015.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I just got 5 gallons of K1 clear un-dyed kerosene at an Enmark station in NC. I paid 3.899 per gallon. That's the lowest I remember.

2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I'm seeing from 3.999 to 4.399 here in Milwaukee, at Speedway stations. Go figure.

3. idahostoveguy

It was still $10 USD per gallon a few weeks ago here in Idaho, I'll have to check again based on your info.

Thanks!

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Sam, is that at a pump?

5. idahostoveguy

There is no kerosene at the pump here. I was thinking that with the lower prices at the pump in your neck of the woods, that, maybe, there would be lower prices at the local supplier. Even, a few dollars lower would offer a respite from the $10 to $12 dollars per gallon I've been seeing. Haven't bought any kero for quite some time. Been using what I have sparingly.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I am surprised there aren't any pumps for heating kerosene.

7. idahostoveguy

You can buy it in bulk at a low price for heating by the truck load, but no bring-your-own-container pumps that I know of.

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I haven't seen kerosene at the pump around here for years. It may be some places; I haven't done any serous search as such. But you used to see it at a few regular places--- not for a long time now.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

We see it at pumps all over the area here. I would think you would have more available. Do they expect people to pay hardware store prices all winter?

10. itchy

There is plenty of bulk kerosene in my area of NC, but I cannot find it without red dye these days. So I have been burning the dyed kerosene in a cheap "disposable" Indian stove to see how long it takes to clog the burner. (I picked up a few of the Indian kerosene stoves years ago when they were something like 3 for $25 on ebay.)

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Is there an Enmark station in your area?

12. itchy

Enmark? Not that I know of. Bit easy enough to find out. A few years ago I tried calling various local stations and asking if they sold un-dyed kerosene. No one understood what I was asking.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have been trying to find out why there is a dye in kerosene. Apparently the dyed kerosene is for road use, as is diesel fuel, and therefore taxed by the US Federal Gov't. And the undyed kerosene/diesel is for off road, farm, etc. I suppose that heating a home is also considered off road as should using the undyed kerosene in a stove or lantern. I do not recall a vehicle using kerosene as fuel.

Could it be that state by state there are different regulations for the availability of undyed kerosene?
    And are fueling stations one by one eliminating the availability of undyed kerosene?

What do you think of a NEW thread that would be for the adding of US locations that bulk undyed kerosene is available and detailing where those locations are?

Ken in NC

14. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Heating fuels started being dyed during the Clinton administration. They got the idea from the European politicians. They do this so you can't use the fuels in a vehicle and avoid paying the road taxes. The idea is police can check your fuel and if it's dyed they get you for not paying the tax. Heating oil and diesel apparently are very similar. I don't know which vehicles run on kerosene but I think the truckers mix some with diesel in cold weather.
    Around here many hardware stores and heating fuel companies have pumps where you can bring a container and get red dye kero. A few gas stations carry clear at the pump. Not many though. I know of 2 Sunoco stations within 10 miles that carry it. The price includes federal and state road taxes. There is only one station in the state that has clear, untaxed kerosene for heating purposes and this station does a good business so the fuel is fresh, burns well and makes it possible for me to run space heaters economically.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  15. itchy

Yep, the red dye is to signify that road tax has NOT been paid. As a result the price should be less than the clear kerosene, however, it seldom is. So as with most government regulations, the consumer ends up getting hosed.

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Dang it, that does not make sense. The clean kerosene, for stoves, lanterns, and heaters, shouldn't have the additives. Bean counters have done it again. Someone sitting at a desk making decisions for those they have no experience with.

17. brassnipplekey

local ... u.k . paraffin/kero £0.67/l (inc. vat)... b.y.o container... looking back over old receipts ,,,, it's the cheapest its been in 5 years .

nick

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  18. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

The closest pump Kero is a 3 hour drive from me, and is $5.79 USD/Gal.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I stopped by two of the places I know have kerosene at the pump, and near where I live.
    I really only go to the one with clear kerosene, so I am not too familiar with other locations, as I don't need another one.

As you can see, they are both untaxed.
    But one is dyed and the other is not.

Ken in NC

Kero-Pump (2).jpeg Kero-Pump (1).jpeg

The small print

Kero-Pump cropped.jpg

20. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

$3.99 is a very good price!