kerosene

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MARC PRESCHIA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. MARC PRESCHIA Belgium

Hello everybody,
    I have repared an old Primus nr 5 silent burner. The fuel that I purchase in Belgium is called "liquid for lamp" On the bottle it's specified "contain isopropylic alcool (200-661-7) and methylethylcetone (201-159-0) Is it the right fuel for the burner, because in Belgium I cant find a product called "parafine" or "kerosene" ??? because it's very difficult to ignite the burner !!

Thanks a lot

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome. Someone will be along to help you with that.
    Maybe ... @Wim

Ken

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Bonjour @MARC PRESCHIA

The fuel you need for the Primus N°5 and similar stoves is pétrole/petroleum. Also useable is BBQ lighter fuel (pour allumer le bbq).
    In most Do-it-yourself stores like Hubo, Gamma, Brico etc. le pétrole is sold in 1liter plastic bottles, or 20liter jars as fuel for Zibro Kamin and similar small "portable" heaters. Sometimes one can find le pétrole in bulk (bring your own can) at places selling heating oil (mazoute), black coal (charbone) and/or bottled gas. Those are the cheapest option, costing less than 1 euro/liter.

When lighting the burner, one must first pre-heat with alcohol in the pre-heat cup under the burner. I get alcohol in 1liter bottles (bio-ethanol) at Action for roughly 1,5 euro/liter.

Hope this helps, if any more questions, just ask!

Bien à vous, et bienvenu à bord,

Wim

4. MARC PRESCHIA Belgium

Hi Wim, thanks for your info. In the meantime I made a test with what we call in french " petrole lampant" or "tosaine" used for cheap petrol heather and it's perfect. Your answer confirm my test Hartelijk bedankt Wim

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

6. Lennart F

Lennart F Sweden Subscriber

Petrole lampant is similar to the "kerosene" or "paraffin"(different names in different countries) we use in pressure stoves, pressure lanterns and most burners with adjustable wick.