Kovea V1 Regulator

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Reflector, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Reflector

Denatured Alcohol Pointless Ban Land (California)
    V1 side profile legs deployed.jpg
    Little plastic cup not included, it is used to prop the V1 up so I can show the legs deployed.

As far as I know this is the original stove that the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe is based off of but with some slight differences. The legs are definitely different and the burner head is coated with a black ceramic substance like the Soto Micro Regulator and Windmaster. The head doesn't really oxidize beyond the little piezo element on the top.

It was referenced over in this thread, where I first learned about it:
    MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe

Kovea definitely won't sell you the parts for it to turn a Pocket Rocket Deluxe into the same configuration and it isn't sold in the US because they likely have a licensing agreement with MSR. If you have friends or want to shop overseas in Korea, Taiwan, Thailand or Russia you can probably get one with the cost of shipping hurting a bit.

It should be functionally identical beyond the legs. I noticed that the legs don't really heat up at full power, the way they're angled prevents them from actually heating up too much beyond the tips. If I get a chance I'll take a photo of the flames but the lowered center prevents the flame from touching the parts of the legs near the burner head. By the time the flame makes it out to the edge it gets cooled to the point that they never glow. The legs seem to be coated with some kind of treatment that blackens them.

There is also a little quirk: The legs rotate out before rotating into position. The stationary leg that doesn't rotate out actually sits a little "proud" due to a little piece of metal in the notch that it goes into. When a load is put on it, the leg deflects a little and "engages" the burner rim, making it level with the other 2 legs which don't have that deflection. When I first saw that the leg saw proud, I thought I had a defective stove until I noticed with some sufficiently heavy mass it would level out rather than have one leg sit proud.

The legs are quick to fold out and provide a really wide diameter base. Unfold the legs into the raised position then rotate them out by pulling the furthest one (on the "right side") around and it deploys. I liked it more than the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe and had to get the V1 purely to collect it.

There's about a 1/2" gap between the burner and the pot from the center. The Soto Amicus that I own has around a 3/8" gap. I talked to a Soto rep at one point and brought up the MSR PRD and the gap distance (between the PRD/V1 and the Amicus as well as Windmaster) and they believe that it is because of carbon monoxide that the PRD/V1 needs more of a gap between the bottom of pot. This is purely hearsay that I am passing on from a conversation with the rep.

No stuff sack, you get a nice metallic tin (that is a little hard to open due to the fit of the lid, also definitely weighty for what it is) with two pieces of foam or neoprene inside. The lower piece of foam in mine got bumped loose during transit but it sits back in just fine with something like a flashlight to smush it flat.

V1 box 1.jpg V1 box 2.jpg V1 box 3.jpg V1 box 4.jpg V1 inner box 5.jpg V1 inner box art.jpg V1 tin can.jpg V1 side profile legs deployed.jpg V1 legs alternative.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2020
  2. Reflector

Scans from the manual and the little regulatory tag thing that hangs off the valve. I suspect is a carbon monoxide/indoor usage warning.

Manual 1.jpg Manual 2.jpg Manual 3 and 4.jpg Regulatory tag 1.jpg Regulatory tag 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2020
  3. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Nice post. fyi it's promoted in the domestic market, Korea, around usd 55, without the intl. shipping cost.
    I think this is not very competitive stove for US market because technically same product (that I am sure but I don't guarantee) MSR's P.R. Deluxe is better choice for US consumers due to the further c/s and so on.
    But for the collectors, of course it's another story... :p

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Great report @Reflector As you said, I learned about the Kovea while discussing the MSR product in my post. It’s interesting to see one ‘close up’ and presented as you’ve done.

5. Reflector

Thanks, there's so little information out on the V1 in English and the only stuff I could find was in Korean and Russian and it was a definitely interesting design to me. I sourced mine through Gmarket (thanks to some family help for pointing me in that direction) where it was around $60 + $20 shipping. A little more costly than a PRD without any coupon but I like it more. I may get a PRD in the future so I can put it side to side along a Soto Windmaster as well since they're all part of that inverted burner type of canister stove with a regulator.

I personally like the leg design and coated burner a lot more than the PRD's configuration. The legs are easier to deploy and undeploy and I feel it makes the stove more compact when they're stowed. The legs are coated with some kind of shiny black treatment that doesn't let them oxidize either and it definitely feels nicer. I'm relatively happy that I'll be able to "service" this stove with PRD parts if needed since everything below the legs is the same stove more or less.

Thanks, again there's so little information on the V1 in English that I had to do this after getting mine. I've had a bit of inactivity since I last posted on CCS years back before remembering my login information. I can probably take some more close up detail/macro photos during the day to compare against your PRD. I actually don't have a PRD and I was comparing the online images of the two before figuring out they're roughly the same stove with some minor changes.

6. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Good morning, thanks for yr detailed comments.
    Don't hesitate to quote me upon you need anything help from Kovea company in Korea, I will contact Kovea on behalf of, then will pass their official reply to you. Yun¹²⁴

7. Reflector

I just got a Pocket Rocket Deluxe and put it against the Kovea. It is definitely a very, very different stove and a big part of that I have found is the burner to pan bottom gap. Respectively, the gaps are:

Soto Windmaster: ~1/4"
    MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe: ~3/8"
    Kovea V1 Regulator: ~1/2"

There's a huge difference because of the upward cant of the Kovea's legs which are also longer. The Kovea has a pot support diameter of 6", whereas the MSR has around a 4.875" diameter which is a huge difference. For contrast, the Soto Windmaster with the 4Flex has a diameter of 5.75".

Again I do like the way that the legs fold on the Kovea, the mechanism is quicker, slicker and the legs are super super long but also can support small diameter objects right up to the inside edge of the burner. The legs also don't seem to get as hot or glow but I will have to test the PRD as I've seen photos of them glowing. Perhaps it is the smaller gap distance.

Additionally the igniter is different between the PRD and Kovea. The PRD resembles more of the Soto Windmaster in that there is only one electrode and it is bent downwards slightly towards the burner. The electrode has a sharp focused tip (at least when new) whereas the Kovea has a double sided igniter that has no bends and relatively "rounded" tips.

In regards to the gap: I have found that the Soto Windmaster does not perform the same as the V1. I thought they would from their concave burner configuration but the twice as big gap makes the flame characteristics very, very different. The Soto Windmaster flame hugs the bottom of the pan like a flat disc that resists wind, in contrast the Kovea behaves closer to a Soto Amicus where wind will push the focused flame (which flattens into a smaller disk on a pan) off from the center. The Windmaster does not let the disk move, as it acts almost like a strange sideburner.

I will have to reserve judgement on the PRD now because the gap most certainly will change the characteristics of the flame - I've noticed the difference when testing the Soto Windmaster against the Kovea V1 Regulator when I observed the flame while lifting the pan off the Soto. I will suspect the MSR PRD behaves more "in between" the Kovea and Soto.

Beyond that, the PRD and V1 seem to be almost "identical" once you go below the burner and legs. The intake holes are the same, the regulator valve body is the same. The valve body extension is the same but the anodizing color is grey (Kovea) and red (MSR) respectively. The control handle wire is the same shape. There seems to be a little dot of glue or adhesive on the bottom side of the MSR.

However: The actual valve that pokes the lindal valve is not the same. The MSR has a "half cylinder" shape with the center of the cylinder drilled out. The Kovea has a post with the center drilled out but 4 little holes drilled perpendicular. The MSR is marked "U1" on the bottom side of the regulator.

It is very, very interesting to see such a what I suspect will be a huge difference between these stoves even if they have "convergent" design features that would make them look like they're part of the same family.

When I have a chance, I'll post photos of the differences and all 3 stoves side by side.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020