Lamb Petrol Stove, early model.

Discussion in 'John Shaw & Sons (JS&S)' started by kerophile, Oct 17, 2017.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I recently acquired another Lamb stove. This time an early model with a circular finger grip, no safety valve/pin, and a conventional flame plate burner:
    IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0264.jpg IMG_0266.jpg IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg

I added a stainless steel flame-plate and new seals and then ran the stove.

However, the flame pattern is over-rich although it can be made blue by manually raising the flame plate to un-natural levels.

IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0501.jpg

The jet apeture was suspect, although I had used an 0.23 mm aperture pricker to clear it on arrival.

I didn't have a spare jet, needless to say, but a good Stove-friend carried out one of his famous hypodermic needle transplants on the over-size aperture jet.

I have now run this stove with the "new" jet after lowering the flame-plate to a normal level. the flame pattern was much better, with no hint of red.

This a relatively rare stove, now approaching its 100th birthday, and it was good to have it performing well again.

I will take additional photographs once the weather improves.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

I like that. Very nice and good that the stove doctor successfully performed that hypodermic needle transplant. :)

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@kerophile
    Good to see it the photos of it running well George.

John

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

Neat stove, never have seen one on person. Thanks for posting! Jerry

5. lorogra

3CA9B9AF-CA36-422C-B647-36AEAA006BF9.jpeg

Hi kerophile,
    I’m new to this site, and happened on it by accident. I read with interest your work on your “Lamb” and might be able to help complete your collection of burners.

I come from a rural area of the lowlands and when I started school they hadn’t yet introduced bottled town gas in the lab., but each desk had one of your lambs. These were withdrawn when the bottles arrived and I happen to have one set of three with each of the 3 burners, and this is where I can help you. I have three spare fishtail and one roarer (complete with brass plate).I have read the site rules but am not sure about buying and selling so all I am intimating at the moment is that these burners are available and I am about to put the lambs on eBay.

I had a box of new jets three of which I have replaced in my lambs but am having a difficulty putting my hands on - pity we hadn’t had this exchange before you went to the trouble of having yours “injec ted”
    I’ll be following forum exchanges as I have 3 primus stoves to refurbish, one a No210 which saw service with a “Desert Rat”.

Image attached.
    Regards lorogra.

6. kerophile

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. kerophile

Hi @lorogra I have sent you a personal thread (PT)
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. lorogra

Hi George,
    Thanks for replying.I’m afraid I hadn’t got the hang of sending these posts as, an hour ago I sent you a reply and it did not send.
    I’m waiting till the morning to search out these jets which you can have along with the burners. I’ll send you a pic.before we do any dealing. I have not understood the rules or prohibitions re selling using the site. How for instance do we communicate and if payment is involved, how is this done? What involvement is there from Classic Camp Stoves?
    My 210 is in fact a family heirloom, but my boys are not interested so I am going to sell with all the other family bric-a-brac. I need 3 pan legs, which I intended to manufacture, but if I can procure the genuine article I’d go for that. Any suggestions? The legs and the burner were lost during a flitting. The burner I replaced with a Colman fitted with a tapped sleeve, and all the other components are original Primus. Did all wartime 210’s have Arabic script aroun d the base or was it just the models used by the tank crews in the desert who had them?
    Will respond as above ASAP..
    Bob.

9. kerophile

Hi lorogra, On the CCS Site it is possible to have a private conversation with another member by clicking on the identifier of the member on the left of this screen. You will then see an option “start a conversation” which you then click on. You can use this facility for private conversations, including sales and purchases.

You are a new member so cannot be expected to know all the protocols, but CCS is a friendly group of individuals and will understand this.

If someone sends you a personal communication you will be alerted by a mark against the inbox on the tool bar at the top RHS of this screen. Click on this to access your private mail.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. lorogra

I’ve spent a couple of hours searching drawers tool boxes etc. but fear my earlier brass clear out to the scrapyard may have included the other jets. I can’t even find the box.
    So here is the image of the burners. How & where do I get your 6.42AM PT?

B5F7172D-9E4C-4D74-82F9-B5502CEFC955.jpeg

11. kerophile

Hi, I received your private message but cannot reply to it as I am not offered the option. I have asked the advice of a Moderator.
    Best Regards,
    George.

12. kerophile

A supplier of Stove spares, Base_Camp has these:

#P4561. Set of three legs Primus 210 pre 1962. £8.30

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

13. RWG United States

Hello,

As I am a Newbie, I would like to start by thanking all posters for the excellent and educational forum!

I have a "Lamb", but cannot seem to match it with anything I have seen here.

I am guessing that the burner cap(s) are missing, and my lamb is not functional without them??

Any help in letting me know what pieces I am missing, or what my Lamb would/should look like complete would be much appreciated.

The Lamb has a wick, and a pinhole nozzle.

Thank you in advance,
    Ralph.

IMG_20180829_204749075.jpg

14. kerophile

Hi @RWG Welcome to CCS.

Interesting Lamb stove you have. It is an earlier model like the one illustrated in this particular thread.

Lamb made several different types of interchangeable burner heads for their small stoves but I have never seen a silent burner head before.

In think it likely that your burner head is an original Lamb item, even though it looks a bit home-made. If you look at the images of the fish-tail burners shown above you will see a similar hand-crafted appearance, with sawn tube and brazed construction.

If your burner is/was a silent burner it is likely missing inner and outer burner caps (or a one-piece combination of the two caps). As you realise the stove cannot be run without these caps.

Of course if you can source one of the alternative Lamb burners you should be able to get the stove operating again.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. kerophile

Hi @RWG I have just had a look in the Reference Catalogue section of the CCS. This is accessible to Subscribers, who pay a small fee to support upkeep and maintenance of the Site.

https://classiccampstoves.com/index.php?account/upgrades

These small Lamb stoves were marketed as both Laboaratory burners and small picnic stoves.
    One of the catalogues, dating from the 1930s, shows one of the small picnic stoves fitted with a silent burner looking identical to yours.

Trust this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. kerophile