1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lane Thermil (Straight Legs)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Sedgman, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Sedgman

Lane's Thermil Blue Stoves often have angled legs. This model has straight legs and a different top with steel rods directed towards the burner.

1421993534-DSCN0800_opt.jpg

Interestingly in all advertisements I have seen the stove top has raised angular supports, which I have yet to see on any Lane stove.

The founts are usually steel and I believe this is probably the case for red and green founts. However on all creme founts that I have they have brass founts. However on a double burner stove with the brass founts the filler caps are steel! However on this unit here and most Lane's models they have brass filler caps with a cork washer underneath.

I ran a boil test, indoors, with 1 litre of water in an open solid steel pot. When I finally one day get the results I will let you all know. However I gave the game away after 40 minutes. ](*,) Is this a record for a stove! I think the stoves are better at cooking baked beans or something else but not boiling water. :cry:

Anyway they are often found at Australian markets.

The inside of the vapouriser burner looks like this:

1421993591-DSCN0808_opt.jpg

The circular wick can still be obtained and here is where the small detachable cup sits on the wick.

1421993682-DSCN0807_opt.jpg

The decal is shown here:

1421993831-DSCN0802_opt.jpg

Iain Sedgman

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. keeper_of_the_flame France

1422017448-Minski.jpg 1422017595-Backofen_und_Minski.jpg

Hi Iain,

Your boil test seems very strange. I have a similiar stove from Rumanis (Minski Metallica). Although I still run it with the old and dirty wick it takes 12 minutes for 1 Liter - plus 6 minutes for heating it up till it has blue flame.
    So, not really a great stove for "just heating up a pot of water" but I use it for baking with the add-on oven; that works good.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  3. Sedgman

Hi Peter, Yes indeed, I was surprised too. I will re-run it in a weeks time. I started with blue flame and had it on what I thought was max without getting too much yellow flame. I could see cherry red metal within the vapouriser but the blue flame was only just rolling out. Because I had the stove empty I put only about a pint (imperial) of Waterand thought the wick could be dry till the fuel wicked up so I doused the top of the wick from a spirit bottle with kero. The pot was open with. measured litre and was a sort of heavy cast steel pan.

I checked twice the stove had not gone out and it seemed fine. The bubbles were getting bigger slowly and incredibly even in size.
    I only ran it once. I will try to repeat the test and see if I can get a hotter flame and double check with another stove too. Has me puzzled too. I'll see what a re-test finds.

Iain

4. keeper_of_the_flame France

Lain, can you tell us s. th. about when this company produced these stoves?
    Maybe it was produced under license from Turm ( Meyer&Niss, Germany) ?

Peter

5. Sedgman

Hello Peter
    This is certainly a puzzle! Clearly there is a strong connection between these Turm brand stoves and the same ones in the Lane’s Thermil series made by Henry Lane Pty Ltd of Sydney.
    According to my searches in the National Library of Australia Trove website looking for these stoves I have found extensive and regular examples of advertisements for them in newspapers from 2 July 1941 (in the Australian Worker, Sydney ) https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/298165 ]Link for Ad.,[/url] through to 4 February 1953 (in The West Australian, Perth). Perhaps Henry Lane obtained the rights prior to the War or else maybe he didn’t.
    In the 1952 M.S. McLeod hardware catalog on p72 there is a 3 burner Lane’s Thermil stove shown just like the Turm model 83 / 84 though the founts on the Australian ones are probably the smaller capacity ones.
    I have not seen larger capacity tanks on the Lane’s series of wick stoves which I presume to equal that of the Turm smaller founts.
    The Turm standard model Nbr 701 has a stated width of 210mm and the Lane’s one I have handy has a width of 210mm also on the top plate. The fount on the Lane’s standard single burner wick stove is 185mm. The height on the Turm is 240mm and the height on the one I have here is 235mm, though the attachment points for the legs are one of the few cosmetic differences between the two families of stoves and may represent the different height difference. The other differences being the top plate and the name on the burner cup. However even on the Lane’s models the top plate comes in about three different types and the advertisements show a fourth with raised vertical blades to hold the pot, like on the Turm models.
    I note the boiling times too in the advertisement you provided for the Turm stoves and still have to re-do my boiling test to figure out what went on last time.
    Best wishes
    Iain

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. keeper_of_the_flame France

Hi Iain,

interesting info. Those small differences of measurement is within tolerance I think. I have found several times with cataloge and subject comparence that there was difference.

I found information that Meyer&Niss - TURM - was producing till early 1970`s and then the complete tools and machinery was sold to Iraque where the new owner kept producing for several years.
    On one flyer from ca. 1970 it is stated that " Turm products for heating, cooking and light are available in 117 countries around the world".

Now, back to the Thermil: We can be shure that it was produced during 1940`s , right. That means during / after WWII. If it was a copy of the TURM I don`t think that somebody in Germany cared a lot as they had other problems at that time. If it was made under license, good anyway.
    Another possibility: Are you shure LANE`s did produce themselves or where they also kind of distributor for their products?

Peter