Lanray No.1 1950s/'60s

Discussion in 'Lanray' started by igh371, Aug 9, 2020.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC09746.JPG
    Nothing special about this example, but not too many in the gallery so another set of photos maybe of some value. Seems that these stoves were possibly in production from the early 1940s through to the 1970s. This one has an embossed brass tank, but also an 'el cheapo' pump rod assembly, though still with a leather cup, so assuming it is probably a slightly later production date. Thinking of comparison with some British made stoves that resorted to similar style pump parts guessing that this may place it sometime in 1950s or '60s.
    DSC09740.JPG DSC09741.JPG DSC09742.JPG DSC09744.JPG DSC09745.JPG DSC09749.JPG

So far so good, but one of the tank side wall panels has a disconcertingly corrugated feel, classic early signs of potential for stress cracking, hard to photograph but just discernable with the right lighting:
    DSC09752.JPG ,and there is worse further round: DSC09751.JPG

Fires up and burns nicely nevertheless:
    DSC09748.JPG
    But there is an actual weep at one point on the lower flange, so this is one stove that won't be seeing any regular use:
    DSC09750.JPG

2. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

Yes, I had the same with a 'cheaper stove' once. Neil McRae (Mackburner on CPL) even tried to line the tank for me, but after a while it began to leak again.
    I think it was a monitor stove, but I don't know for sure. In the end, I disassembled the stove for parts and threw the tank away. Once they start to crack like this, they become unsalvageable, in my opinion.
    To bad though, because I do like the look of this stove.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @igh371 . Interesting stove Ian, such a pity about the faceted appearance of the side wall of the tank.... I fear you have the correct diagnosis and it is only a matter of time before the stress cracking leads to penetration and leaks.
    As you say the signs are unmistakable, but difficult to catch on camera:

Sad tale of Phoebus No.30.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@igh371

Ian, I believe your stove is earlier than you think.
    From my understanding Lanray stoves had a relatively short production period from 1941 to about 1950. And the raised embossing can be seen in early 1940's advertising.
    Whilst the company did survive much longer, advertising for stoves petered out by 1950. @Sedgman may be able to comment further. https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/lanray-stoves-australia-history.29813/

The one piece riveted pump assembly were very common in Australia and available well into the 1970's/80's. Sold by Companion as replacement parts they fitted many brands of stoves and some Lanterns.

It's a pity about the leaks.

5. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Hi Ian, great to see another Lanray posted, though you mention a few issues with it. I agree with @ROBBO55 that your stove is earlier that you thought and probably from the forties. Haven't seen any evidence yet, such as ads that they continued production (of stoves) beyond 1950. Good luck with it.