Late Primus No 5 Mystery

Discussion in 'Primus No:5 (inc S & J)' started by Kengal00, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Kengal00

Kengal00 Australia Subscriber

This late acquisition has me intrigued; It is clearly branded PRI-stove logo-MUS with "Regd Trade Mark" stamped below, but no other writing/place of manufacture written anywhere on the spun brass tank? It just has the word PRIMUS in big lettering on both sides of the filler-cap tab and PRIMUS stamped in three outer quadrants of the pressed steel trivet. More intriguing is the pot stand legs have rubber feet commonly found on modern Asian made stoves and a larger diameter pump tube. The pump tube cap is the same size and tread as the fuel filler cap. Unfortunately the whole pump rod assembly and pump cap were missing (probably nicked whilst sitting in the junk shop!) so I had to rig one up out of various larger size components at hand (the leather cup being a push bike pump washer) Anyway it's surprisingly good performer and whats more, its legs don't scratch the duco on my bonnet !!

20180917_112923.jpg

20180917_123059.jpg

20180917_112917.jpg

20180917_112909.jpg

2. Kengal00

O yeh did l mention its a good performer?

20180917_175721.jpg

3. Kengal00

4. Garth

Unusual one late model but the raised filler cap the very early ones have--- made under license maybe any date stamp on burner riser?

5. Kengal00

Now ive polished the rest of the Brasso off ill have a look lol. Thanks for the tip Garth i never thought to look there

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I would be very surpised if this “Primus” was made in Europe.
    Scarcity of markings, Poor quality finishing (Metal spinning marks), rubber caps on feet, etc.

Perhaps it came from either Southern Africa or South America, where the Swedish Stove makers provided Development aid in the form of equipment and training for their stoves to be produced under licence.

Have look at the rubber capped feet on this Primus No.5 from Uruguay:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-nº5-made-in-uruguay.34208/

Once the licensing deal ran out or was discontinued, it appears that some stove manufacturing could have continued with different branding.

Another possibility is that the stove is a “Fake”, stamped Primus to fool the unwary.

However, it is an interesting stove and I am glad that you managed to fettle it and get it operating well.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. Kengal00

Thank you Kerophile, your insights are invaluable and not to mention illuminating.. it all now makes sence. The shop i bought it from (in Beechworth Victoria) had a whole lot of African artifacts, like castiron Ponji pots (witch like cauldrons) and other imported things mixed in with locally sourced Australian vintage and antique items . I never thought to ask him where it came from....

8. Kengal00

... and here's another piece of the puzzle explained, perhaps. The over size pump tube. What better commonsense solution would there have been in Sth Africa than to make the part, most susceptible to wear, the leather pump cup washer the same size as a plentiful bush bike pump!! Nice one guys.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

21DC7862-87FF-4F0B-851D-DC70EB12536C.jpeg Hi, the knurled head air release valve fitted to your stove is rare on a Primus stove, but I have seen one before, and I have some in my spares box:

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Genuine Primus knurled pressure release screws should be marked on top of the head like this:
    DSC05257 (2).JPG

and some, but not all, have interrupted knurling:
    DSC05251.JPG

11. Kengal00

True, but would the same rule apply to Africa?

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Kengal00

I note that your pressure release screw has straight, rather than hatched, knurling.

Cheers

Tony

13. Kengal00

Im beginning to wonder if not an exact Primis approved European issue air release valve then maybe some later local substitute given its possible ( kerophile) Sth African/ Sth American origins ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  14. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Definitively not an original Primus.
    South Afrika sounds possible. In the 80:s Cadac made Primus cloones authorized by Primus in Sweden so maybe one of those?
    I have a couple but they are not exactly the same. Take a look in the south african sub-forum where one is listed.

Bo

15. Kengal00

Thank you Bo, I'll have a look.

16. Kengal00

Thanks for directing me to the Sth African section showing cadac made primus's. According to the pictures there are fundamental differences in construction compared to mine, starting with the Cadacs having a steel font, raised lettering, different filler cap and the list goes on... Anyway going 2 have a chat with the dealer in Beechworth next time im down that way to ask where he got it from.