Later pre-1911 Primus 96, bun feet

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikerduane, Jan 14, 2020.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Just got this, it's "A" brother was a no show, hope it shows tomorrow. Per the SRG, looks like this is a later pre-1911, the key seems to be the pump shaft knob. No letter on bottom, same as others in the SRG that were pre-1911. Woohoo! My first bun foot.
    Duane
    IMG_5835.JPG
    IMG_5829.JPG
    IMG_5831.JPG
    IMG_5830.JPG
    IMG_5832.JPG

2. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks great Duane . And your first bun foot
    Cheers
    Rob

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Couple more pics, w/s, spanner, proper pot supports.
    Duane
    IMG_5836_opt.jpg
    IMG_5837_opt.jpg IMG_5838_opt.jpg

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice score Duane. Congratulations on a fine acquisition. Looks like a future Stove of the Month winner to me.

Ben

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you guys, need to add some mesh to the burner and replace the cap washer. Burner looks great, pump pushes air, so will see if the NRV works tomorrow. Have not ever seen one of these come up, found a second thru the sellers friend.
    Duane

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Better pic.
    20200113_170049_opt.jpg

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

How long have you been saving that Oly beer can, Duane? Or is it still brewed someplace?

For those interested in ancient US brew history, Olympia beer was produced in Tumwater, Washington, and in the 1960s and into the '70s was a huge seller in the US Pacific NW. Better than that, it was in those years the largest-selling beer in California.

There was a huge consolidation of 'industrial' US breweries starting in the 1970s. Big regional beers like Olympia mostly didn't make it. There are innumerable examples. One in the PNW was the Carling/Heidelberg Brewery in Tacoma, owned by the Canadian brewer Carling, and of which my wife's dad was the general manager. Long after he left, that brewery and brand became history, also.

Same was true of the big Milwaukee national brands; Schlitz, Pabst, one or two others; only Miller survived. (Pabst is still a popular label, but the old Milwaukee brewery is long gone.)

The dying-off of those breweries was eventually followed by the craft beer movement, which changed the scene totally.

But a lot of the old brands are still produced in special runs by contract brewers, and that Oly of Duane's may be one of them.

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Ed, the Oly can was found by me I think when out cutting firewood, good prop for size comparison.
    Duane

9. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

That's a really exciting find Duane. You reckon the funnel is original?

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you, not sure about the funnel, doubt it came with the stove, will have to look some more.
    Duane

11. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Runs beautifully, couldn't be happier. New pip, lead washer under the NRV, lead washer under the burner, new washer in the fuel cap, new pump cup. Removed the burner and NRV again to reseat them and stretch the NRV spring. Stoked for this being so old and running like a new model. Burner bell turned red within half a minute.
    Duane
    IMG_5842_opt.jpg
    IMG_5843_opt.jpg
    IMG_5844_opt.jpg
    IMG_5845_opt.jpg

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Amazing in so many ways. Replace some old seals; then in runs as well as it did more than a century ago.

13. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Apparently the Primus 96 is inferior to the Monitor17B. Even so, the bun feet and advanced age of your stove make it a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Ben

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thanks Ben. Looking at parts, most are V2 parts I believe on a late pre-1911 fount, lipstick thinking may be a much younger one, will have to take a good look.
    The "A" I'm expecting looks like a early model "A" with bun feet, as another I saw in the SRG does not have the bun feet and has the slender air screw off by itself.
    Duane