1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le "Rapide" travel stove

Discussion in 'France' started by Isnalawica, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Isnalawica France

My latest find, a small alcohol stove with simmer ring:

IMG-20170109-00478.jpg

IMG-20170109-00480.jpg

I tested it with 20ml of 96% bioethanol: boiled 2 cups in a Alocs kettle in 5'20". Total burn time: 7'45".
    Any info welcomed (Date, manufacturer...).

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hello Isnalawica and welcome to CCS.

I love small alcohol stoves.
    I have not seen this stove before.
    it is great that you have already tested it. I would like to see some photos showing it burning.

I have a question, your photographs seem slightly different to the drawing on the box lid.
    Has the design changed or is there something that is not in your photos?

Rapide.jpg

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, Isnalawica,

Welcome to CCS!! Your little Meths stove is certainly unique, and it's great to see it here. Trevor, are you asking about the rotating simmering plate? It looks to be rotated fully closed in the photos of the stove, and rotated partially open in the drawings. If there is something else, I'm missing it. Let me know what you mean, so my old eyes can see what you are seeing, too. Thanks, and again, Isnalawica, welcome to CCS! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Isnalawica France

Indeed, I noticed the drawing on the box shows 3 "chimneys" while the stove only has one. This is what I got and, unfortunately, have found no more info on the web. My guess is that they had 2 designs and used the same illustration on the box (it's only a guess...). The seller said it was from the 50's but with no evidence to prove it...
    Thanks for the welcome. I have been consulting this forum for a while, signed up a month ago, and finally decided to post...
    I will eventually try to post a pic "in action". Right now, I am cooking dinner on an other, more common, alcohol stove.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Isnalawica France

In action:
    IMG-20170109-00484.jpg
    I would sure love to see the "3 chimneys" version illustrated on the box in action.

6. shagratork

Hi Doc

I think that Isnalawica has explained it, but just in case, I has talking about the inside of the burner.

Rapide_2.jpeg

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@Isnalawica
    That's an extraordinary flame pattern and a fine job you made of photographing it.

Welcome to CCS and thank you for your excellent post of a most interesting stove.

John

8. Isnalawica France

I agree the flame pattern is really neat, hence my wish to see what it would look like with 3 "chimneys". As for the photography, I was lucky (taken with an old Blackberry phone I bought 4 euros on a flea market 2 years ago...). I also like to build stoves and the flame pattern on this stove inspires me...

9. presscall

It'd be great to see your work.

John

10. Isnalawica France

Kind of "off topic" (I'm new here, hope the mods won't mind and I will try not to abuse...) but here is my latest build (finished yesterday):
    IMG-20170109-00488.jpg
    The internal works were inspired by the Optimus Trapper and Marine stoves.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. presscall

@Isnalawica
    Makes me want to see more of the construction and fired up, off-topic or not. You started the thread so I won't be complaining!

John

12. patatwin France

Welcome aboard !
    Nice stoves !

13. Isnalawica France

I would gladly present my builds (the one pictured also has a more powerful big brother and a "turbo" add-on). Unfortunately, they are not classics and I don't know in what section I could post DIY builds. I don't want to pollute this thread with DIY since it's in the Stove Reference Gallery

14. presscall

I'd suggest the Stove Forum. 'Subscribing' members can use the 'Frankies, Mods and Hybrid' forum where it would go ideally and where there's a disclaimer attached to take care if copying/using featured modifications.

Seems to me an alcohol stove doesn't present nearly the same potential hazard as a gasoline or lpg fuelled stove build - but @shagratork can advise on this one - Trevor?

15. shagratork

Hi John

Being a moderator of CCS with access to everywhere sometimes catches me off-guard when I suggest to non-subscribing members to maybe look at the catalogues forum.
    However in this case, it would be great to see Isnalawica posting his homemade stoves in the 'Frankies, Mods & Hybrids' forum.
    This should be no problem because that forum is available to all registered members.

I hope that helps.

16. presscall

I still get confused on what's included in the subs! Doh!

@Isnalawica
    Solved - if you'd be willing to take the trouble to post details of your stove projects in the 'Frankies, Mods and Hybrids' Forum there's the place for them. I'm sure I'd not be alone in wanting to see examples of your work.

John

17. Isnalawica France

Give me some time and I will post about my latest tinkering. I'm sure you experts will help me improve my builds...

18. presscall

Excellent! Thank you.

I've no doubt you're the expert, but it's good to bounce ideas around with others for sure. I've learned a lot doing projects that way here on CCS. It's productive and fun too.

19. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice blue flame.

20. Gavin Mulholland United Kingdom

Beautiful flame pic isnalawica!