Lead Fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Surveyor, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Surveyor

I have had a hunt on here i have just bought a stove which says run on Lead petrol, its from the 1970's has any one experience of using unleaded in a stove for leaded?
    Richard

2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Lets see--

What country are you in? Here in the US, Coleman fuel or VM&P naptha works well, in the UK, panel wipe is the preferred fodder.

"a stove" is rather generic, a description or model would be a big help,so we can help you. Pictures would be a treat, as well.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Surveyor
    What’s the stove Richard? That’s a 70’s instruction I’d steer well clear of, even if leaded petrol were still available.

Strange the instructions specified leaded petrol. No technical benefit in doing so over unleaded - it’s not as though it was a high-compression performance motor after all - and everything to lose in terms of breathing in the fumes.

Personally, since I want my stove generators to remain in good condition I don’t use pump petrol in them. Additives desirable for an engine just get dumped as clogging coke deposits in generators, which don’t remotely reach the temperature or pressure parameters of engine combustion chambers. Aspen 4 fuel is the stuff, here in the UK at least.

John

4. Surveyor

Its an Army No2 stove, I suspect unleaded may have been used in it

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Surveyor
    Oh yeah, I remember, we had a discussion about it, the roarer burner model.

What’ve you been using as fuel in your No.2 (modified) and No.3 stoves? Paraffin in the No.12’s I know.

6. Surveyor

I have unleaded for the modified but just servicing the leaded one and hence the question

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
  7. Lennart F Sweden

That sort of instruction just declare it should be possible to run on lead fuel - but you should avoid it as long as you could get any other suitable fuel - for instance, if a stove is made to work with paraffin/kerosene, furnace oil should be a far better choice even if it was said to accept leaded fuel.

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, the health warning regarding operation with leaded petrol/gasoline is clearly posted on @Surveyor Surmet No.2 military stove:

upload_2020-6-28_20-52-30.jpeg

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Lead has no benift to any campstove. Unleaded fuel is fine although versions of naptha will be better. My guess is this stove was around when diesel stoves were also available but unleaded petrol was not