Lead washers vs PTFE tape

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Plantpot, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Plantpot United Kingdom

Hi All,

Hope you are staying safe and are well.

Heres something I thought I would share with you. I recently got hold of a 1929 primus 210 with a No 4 silent burner. Its a lovely little stove and the burner works really well. (One question... Do I need the internal burner ring I have seen to go inside the burner cap that sits on the burner with the 2 U tubes? It does not have one but seems to work ok)

I took out the NRV to change the cork pip as it was 91 years old and a bit dried up and shrunk.

Replaced all the seals with a fettlebox kit, BUT... when using the lead washer, had problems with the pip in the NRV not sealing so out it came again.

Still leaking! So after about 4 attempts, and finally cleaning the inside of the NRV where the pip rides up and down and stretching the spring, I got a seal! Ya!!

lead washer now was non existent, mangled beyond repair, squashed to atoms, and no seal around the NRV... everytime I pressurized it, bubbles bubbles bubbles...oh no I thought I had a split pump tube... one last try... No lead washer left, no plastic washer ( I know I can make one from a milk bottle plastic top) but I have PTFE plumbers tape. Yes!!!

I wrapped a good few turns on the nrv thread and screwed it in tight. pumped up, removed pump and dribbled water in the pump tube... way hay! no bubbles!

I have lit and burned the little 210 for 5 times and boiled eggs in a pan 3 times now with the burn lasting 10 to 12 mins for hard boiled eggs, so far no leaks in the tube. The tank gets a bit hot but I am told this is no problem

Question is... will the tape last???

What are your experiences with PTFE thread tape? What are your thoughts?

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Plantpot

1. I’m a little confused about your burner cap question (photos of your setup would assist), but it is usual for a silent burner if this type to have both an inner and an outer burner cap.

Does your burner “hiss” when lit, or make a rumble or roar?

2. I think the tape will last.

Tony

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Well it depends....

If it's your only stove and you're relying on it for survival for 12 months then I'd either make sure you have some spare tape or have a couple of bottle tops handy in your fettling kit. It should last until you receive your next order at least.

4. Plantpot United Kingdom

@Tony Press

Hi Tony, Here are the pictures, the raised part that looks like a ring around the burner tube in the next picture with the cap open, is not detachable it's a part of the silent burner body.

burner 210.jpg

Cap Open....

burner open 210.jpg

5. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@Plantpot
    You are missing the inner part of that burner top.
    (This particular inner part has 9 holes which comes from an older 111T, as I recall it.
    They mostly come in similar shape without the 9 holes. image.jpg

Inner part fits inside like this:
    image.jpg

6. Plantpot United Kingdom

Hi @Harder D. Soerensen

Thanks for the great pictures and information, I see now how it works and I will get the inside ring for the burner!

Thank you again and stay well.

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

ptfe tape inside the tank should work fine except for 2 provisos. First the yellow gas tape is better than the white or blue water tape. Second the idea of the lead washer is that it can be used several times. Some stoves use the lead washer on the burner and are designed to be dismantalled every use (picnic stoves) these can have washers that have seen several hundred uses. Ptfe must be changed every time

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

2090 Lead packing for stoves, OO, 45, 100/4128, £ 2.25

Base Camp has these.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Base Camp no longer list either inner or outer burner caps for No.4 type burners, although it is worth enquiring.

Have a look at this thread and the links within it:

Makeshift Primus No. 4 inner cap

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.