Lindal to CampinGaz (Easy Click plus) adaptor?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Radioman23, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

1. Radioman23 United States

Hello!
    I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am now the owner of a CampingGaz Tristar and for the last week I have been looking for a way to adapt the stove to use Lindal canisters.It's looking like I will need to replace the control valve to a lindal valve and possible replace the fuel line to the stove.Since coming here, I have learned a lot. But, despite lots adapters being made to use Easy click canisters in lindal devices, I can't seem to find a single lindal to easy click adapter. I also can't seem to find any technical drawings of the easy click valves.
    I have heard that CampingGaz is huge in France...so to any French, or European members here, I ask: would this type of adapter be available in Europe? Were any adapters commercially made to use Lindal canisters for camping gaz stoves & lanterns? If not, where could I find such an adapter? Thank you very much for your time and thank you for having me here on this forum!

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

No call for such in the UK, where the gas cartridges for those later generation Camping Gas products are readily available.

3. Odd

The same goes for Sweden - and probably the entire Scandinavia...

4. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

I have ever seen an adapter for this, but I have modified a CV470 lantern connector to fit both CV and Lindal cartridges.

I make a disclaimer now. You must remember that these connections effect a gas seal with the o ring fitted in the female fittings, so you must ensure that you don't compromise this seal by damaging either the o ring or the blue plastic clamping mechanism. Below is how I did it....

The main difference between the CV470 and Lindal cartridges connections (apart from the fact than one valve has a thread) is the depth of the clamping channel around the valves, and the way the gas is release around the plunger.

The CV470 clamping channel is much deeper than the Lindal channel, so first job is to cut off the blue tabs from the end of the blue plastic CV470 connector and then file the cut surfaces smooth. TAKE CARE NOT TO CUT OFF THE SIX CLAMPING LIPS (shown in red) which are necessary to lock into the inside of the clamping channel on the cartridge.

DSC08746.JPG

Next you need to cut a slot in the plunger to allow the gas to escape around the plunger. I used a jewelers saw.

DSC08757.JPG

This is what the cut looks like, it is about 1mm deep

DSC08760.JPG

Then fit the two parts back together

DSC08753.JPG

clean out any debris and dust, and fit to the lindal cartridge. Tighten down and check for leaks before opening the valve and lighting.

DSC08747.JPG

The fitting also still works on the original CV470 cartridge as intended

DSC08761.JPG

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

CampingGaz were never going to make a connector that worked with both cartridges in a million years were they. Even if as you have found they are almost identical.

Which begs the question which EN standard does the canister and valve actually meet?

I'll see if I still have a copy of 147 around, and may have a canister somewhere to see what the markings say.

It would have taken a lot of effort to establish a new standard just to be able to sell non Lindal sourced valves on their canisters.

6. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

The good thing from my point of view is that they spent a lot of time developing a new valve that made other cartridges incompatible, and consequently I had a lot of fun finding a way round it!

7. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

that'll be because they are part of / affiliated to Coleman. Both of which are readily available here but I can't vouch for elsewhere though. So if you want the screw in version you should buy the American product not the French one.

Regards
    John