Lipstick

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by cabriolet76, Oct 8, 2010.

1. cabriolet76

cabriolet76 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have a small monitor stove with a lipstick vapouriser. It does not have any brass filter/screening inside and I do not have any. What can I use instead of the brass as an interim measure and what do I need to buy to put in the lipstick and where from?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Ray.

2. theyellowdog

I chopped up the kitchen sieve for this purpose recently.

3. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Ray what you need is a sheet of fine brass mesh i purchased a sheet of A4 from ebay for just a few pounds you need to cut it about just under the size of the inside of the burner roll it as tight as possible so it just slides in to the burner.
    It's not so much as a filter but to greater the surface area in conducting heat to the burner to keep the fuel vapourised

4. MOF

I used a stainless steel pot scourer packed tightly in, works fine. :mrgreen:

5. Knight84

Would brass be better for this purpose though? I think brass would be better at thermal feed back. Splitting hairs I guess.

Jeff

6. -/-

The stuffing is not for heat transfer it's only function is to avoid a pulsating flame.

7. Knight84

Yes but it would also aid in vapourization I think.

Jeff

8. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

I would have to agree with the above quote and Jeff and Henrik on this too.

It seems to make sense that it would work slightly as a filter and provide surface area for vaporization, and also keep the burner from pulsating. Much the same as a Coleman generator has the coil inside (has to be clean) to provide surface area and not allow too much fuel into the generator tube and to provide surface area for the fuel to be vaporized, which in my limited experience seems to cause pulsating or flame problems if there is no coil in the tube. So, my vote is that the purpose of the brass screen is to provide all of the above.

Another case in point, I have an MSR G stove and took the metal rod (not cleaning cable) out of it thinking that it was blockage in the tube. The G does not coil over the burner like the GK and the XGK stoves. It has brass screen in the end of the tube before the burner. I pulled everything out and it had trouble vaporizing the fuel and pulsated about every 3 to 5 seconds. I put it all back and it ran fine again. I haven't tried this with other MSRs or lipstick burners, but my hunch is that the lipsticks are stuffed with brass for more than one reason:

1. filtering
    2. vaporization
    3. nice even burn (no pulse)

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. -/-

I just pulled the stuffing in 4 different brands of ½ pinters.

The Burmos is stuffed massive.

The rest is only lightly stuffed and the filling in the Optimus fell right out in my hand. It burns fine with no problems so i will stand by my claim that the stuffing does nos aid in thermal transfer to the kero!

Burmos
    1287343758-Burmos__Medium_.JPG

Monitor
    1287343766-Monitor__Medium_.JPG

Optimus
    1287343772-Optimus__Medium_.JPG

Primus
    1287343778-Primus__Medium_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015