Looks like another project on the horizon!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

A while back, I posted a note here, looking for a Primus burner, which was used in several of their stoves, including the Primus 41 silent model. No luck, unfortunately. So, I went down to the Hobbit Hole, and whilst doing some cleaning and organizing (read that as moving boxes of stuff, from here to there!!), I found a SVEA #1915 burner that I forgot was down there!!! Looks like a new project is going to be on the horizon, hopefully soon!!! Here's the burner, along with my cherished Primus 41, which came from a very good friend here at CCS!!

1378844245-DSCN4326.JPG

If this works out as well as I think it will, I'll be able to have my cake, and eat it, too!! This 41 is fantastic with it's original roarer burner from Primus, but it will be nice to be able to use the silent #1915, which is also an outstanding burner, when the mood strikes. I'll post more then time permits me having a bit of fun with this, complete with photos, before and after, along with flame shots! I'm stoked!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Pietromax

Man I wish I had the same hole as yours doc!

-Michael :mrgreen:

3. cazna

Cool project Doc.

I also have 41 roarer that needs a fettle, Unfortunatly the tanks dented but its still a 41, I would like to do the same some day and put a silent burner on it as my other 41 that i have cleaned up is also a roarer so it would be cool to have a silent and a roarer, Which brings me to my next question, Will a primus 535 burner fit onto the 41??

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Orientation of control spindle may or may be an issue - not a lot of use if when the burner's screwed home it's pointing to the back of the stove and not the right-hand side to align with the control rod entry slot.

Thickness of sealing washers would offer some measure of adjustment to get the spindle pointing in the right direction, but you'd not readily want to break the joint of either burner once set because you couldn't then rely on it to re-seal with the control spindle in the right location and would most likely have to resort to using a new set of washers and starting again.

Lock-nuts provide the answer of re-orientating valves in pipework if their orientation matters, and a thin lock-nut might be the answer.

Maybe not a surefire bolt-on-bolt off option, but it certainly has a lot of potential and bravo for contemplating doing it Doc!

John

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, All,

There is more "stuff" in the Hobbit Hole, than I can ever remember! It's a blessing, AND a curse, depending on how you look at it. Yesterday, I found two Homestrand stoves, about which I'd also forgotten, both with SVEA 1915 burners. One is setup for kerosene, and the other for Meths, but all it takes to swap back and forth is changing the jets and cleaning needles!!

John, thank you for your thoughts on this conversion. I most definitely do not want to change this 41 to a silent burner, always, but just wanted to have the option, should I wish to use it that way. But, for me, this stove is special because it came from a good friend, and because it has a roarer burner. Someday, it would be grand to get a second one, and should that ever happen, I'll make it a silent model permanently. But, until then, if this project actually works out, I'll have the option of which burner I want to use in any given application. I do realize that it's not going to be a "quick-change" situation, and that, just as you say, John, each swap is going to take new washers and aligning. We'll see how it all turns out. One other concern is to whether the SVEA burner will actually FIT into the case, once it's closed. Not totally sure about that, as it looks like it will be a tight fit, one way, or the other. Might have to take off the homemade windscreen that was wired onto this great stove when I received it. But, again, I don't want this 41 to stray too far from it's original roots, "just because". Thanks, again, Guys, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc