1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lope-sided flame on Svea 123

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by RodH, Mar 28, 2016.

1. RodH

RodH Canada Subscriber

Hello,

I recently acquired a Svea 123...my first. Not too old...probably mid '80's. Fired right up with no issues...well maybe just one. I'm very impressed with the quick and simple prime and start. I like my 96 and 71 and 111 and 8 and the rest of the gang but I'm quite impressed with the power of this little guy. The one little issue that perhaps someone would like to comment on: the flame is a bit lopsided. At start it is quite lopesided and then evens out a bit as the pressure builds. I've cleaned the jet and centered the flame plate and even cleaned the bottom of the flame plate. Flame is still a bit lopesided at full pressure. Not that it's a problem as a kettle boils in no time. But we here are all a bit picky and I would like to have it a bit more symmetrical. All thoughts and comments most welcome. The photos show at start, then warm, then hot. Hot flame has some yellow tips.

Thanks

Rod

Picture 001 (Small).jpg Picture 004 (Small).jpg Picture 007 (Small).jpg

2. snwcmpr United States

Does the lopsided flame change sides?

You say the jet is cleaned. Could a piece of carbon get there after you cleaned the jet?
    The flame plate, are all 4 supports equally flat?
    Is the hole of the jet, the exit hole, clean and even. I have put a very slight chamfer on that hole sometimes to assist the spray at the exit hole. Maybe look very closely at the jet hole.

3. RodH

RodH Canada Subscriber

Just now I had another good look at it. I took off the jet and gave it a good clean with wire and air. The exit hole does have a very small chamfer dimple to it. I rechecked the centreing and level of the flame plate and even checked the bell for level...it did seem a bit more one sided but was quickly adjusted. Fired it up to a good strong burn and flame still a bit lopesided. Not really a problem as this goes like a rocket and very quickly boils up a billy.

Speaking of billies, a quick survey: who here knows what "to swing the billy" means and why is it "swung"?

Rod

4. The Bird

The Bird New Zealand Subscriber

One would dump a handful of tea leaves in a billy of boiling water to make tea. Once the leaves were steeped, the billy was grasped firmly by the handle, and swung vigorously in an over-hand method, wind-mill style. It was swung fast, so that centrifugal force kept the tea in the billy, but the main purpose was to drive the tea leaves to the bottom, so you didn't get a cupful when the tea was poured.

[​IMG]

In scouts, we did it with a dog-clip and chain, and swung it in a horizontal circle instead, safer for young boys.

In essence, the vernacular term "time to swing the billy" means "Smoko Time." Tea Break, for our non-antipodean friends.

Hope that helps. Nowadays, we use tea bags.

Best regards,

Mike.

5. SimonFoxxx New Zealand

I have a SVEA 123 (Sievert from 1968) which had the same problem. I gently applied a larger diameter drill bit to the jet orifice to clean out any tiny burrs. This seemed to work fine. Don't over do it though, a few gentle twists were all that was required. Good luck!

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx
    New Zealand

6. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

nice answers to swing the billy
    you forgot about dropping a gum leaf in at the end :) :)

tea bags , no way , tea leaves for real tea brewed on real stoves or wood fires !!!!

cheers
    kerry

7. RodH

RodH Canada Subscriber

Simon, I'll try that - very gently - and see if the orifice needs smoothing. Thanks for the tip.

Mike, very nice billy pictured! Out in the Simpson we used a juice can and a cut coat hanger through a couple of holes as a handle. Eyes closed it all tastes the same.

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

tea bags contain real tea (mostly) Ive never heard of the gum leaf before but a handful of them might make tea palatable.
    Same trick would probably work with coffee grouts

9. RodH

RodH Canada Subscriber

Well I've messed with it a bit: tried to better centre the flame bowl and flame plate and very lightly by hand ran a fine bit in the jet camfer to remove any burrs or roughness. 123 flame is still somewhat lope-sided but then I compared it to my early '50's 71 and it's also lope-sided so I've decided that as I'm from the mid '40's and am also a bit lope-sided, new hip op didn't go quite right, then maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. They both boil a billy in no time and so I won't sweat the small stuff. Guys, many thanks for the advice. As they say "experience come from bad experience".

10. fire bug

fire bug United States Subscriber

Could the burner housing (bell shaped thingy) be bent slightly off center? If you have some sort of turn table you could spin it and see if it wobbles, or simple try giving it a half turn and see if the flame comes out the other side of teh stove then. you could also just try pressing the housing towards where the flame is largest and see if that can center the flame for you. I'd do it when the stove was cold as I'm certain if I left that part out someone would feel obligated to mention it :)

Good luck! It shouldn't take much pressure at all to move it.

11. RodH

RodH Canada Subscriber

Hey Bug,
    Yes, I think the flame bell is/was a tiny bit off-centre and have given it a bit of a push in the right direction and things look a bit better now. At this stage I've chosen not to get too concerned about the small stuff and am happy that I'm still able to mess around with stoves, lamps, and the other things that I enjoy. Nothing like a close friend's or family member's passing to bring the important stuff into focus.

best,

Rod

12. Viscara United States

Wow... all this talk about the jet and modify or enlarging the hole or sticking drill bits into it. All very harsh solutions and drastic measures before checking the obvious which is the flame spreader. The Flame spreader is usually the most obvious and usually the likely culprit. The flame spreaders are always bent or yanked off a burner bell or they fall off and people bang them around or step on them. Thus bending the shape of the flame spreader a bit especially the tabs that sit on a burner bell. Then you have someone tinker with the spreader plate trying to get it right and the "CURVE" of the spreader is miss aligned or the parabolic shape of the spreaders is distorted. Which in turn favors the spread of the flame just like sticking your finger in the center of a water spout. Ever do that put a spoon under the faucet? move the spoon a fraction of a inch and the water shoots different directions. Same for the flame spreader bend those tabs or dent or put a flat spot on that spreader and the flame goes in a different direction. Trust me play with the tabs and the center point of the spreader and see how the flame moves when you put it back on. If you need to reshape it mark it with a center punch by scoring a dot so you know where to work from.

13. snwcmpr United States

@RodH
    @Viscara
    I agree. The bell, too.
    Easy to spin the bell to determine the cause. Easy to flatten the flame spreader. Best done after the brass has been annealed.

I only mentioned the drill to assist gas exit:
    "I have put a very slight chamfer on that hole sometimes to assist the spray at the exit hole."
    Note the word slight. Not an enlargement of the jet hole.

Ken in NC

14. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

The chamfer also aids in pricking the jet, especially in the dark.

....Arch

15. snwcmpr United States

Good point