Lost the spanner (wrench)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Gordon F, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Gordon F

If you've lost the spanner to dismantle your Primus 210, then I suspect you might use one of the pot supports pushed into the burner tubes. That, at least, is what I suspect the previous owner of this stove did.

1257280214-A__Small_.jpg

I'm not going to try and straighten the tubes, as it doesn't seem to have affected the performance.

1257280327-B__Small_.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Blackdog

Pure carelesness! I like it though, it adds to the stove's character. Used and abused, but still going strong. Still that's quite a lot of force to bend a burner like that, I suppose it just happens slowly over time...

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Pot support or tent peg, possibly. But I've never found a burner I couldn't twist off by hand, although you'd still run the same risk if you had to use too much force.

I guess the root of the problem was that someone previously over-tightened your burner, Gordon, probably to stop a leak, when they should really have replaced the washer(s) instead... :roll:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Pitsligo

Any chance it makes the jet easier to get at? Might be a good mod! (Just kidding.)

Alex

5. RonPH

its a nice twist ;) to a standard kero burner. Looks nice so long as it still works!

6. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

It is possible to straighten twisted burners. If you hold them in a vice, apply plenty of heat, and the untwist them a very little at a time they can be made to look a lot better, and being as the tubes are straighter they should perform better as well, with less likelihood of the tubbes blocking with carbon.

On a Burmos 21 I managed to get a burner from this :

1257327226-Mystery_Burner-6_opt.jpg

to this :

1257327256-Burmos_21_Straight_Burner_opt.jpg

by the addition of heat, and patience. Not perfect, but greatly improved.

Have a go, you've not much to lose !

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Gordon F

Fyldefox, you did a good job there, that burner looks to be perfect. I think I'll leave well alone, but it's nice to see that it can be straightened.

Thanks.

8. Bom Bom Bom Bom

I've previously managed similar rebends on a couple of burners.

The problem I've come across in the past is not the burner being twisted radially like the two examples in this thread, but where the two support tubes are bent to one side which means the flame does not then play on the centre of the burner head leading to an uneven flame pattern.

In this instance again the burner can be held in a vice and gently tapped back into shape using a piece of wood held on the burner and a hammer (or preferably a rubber headed mallet) on the wood. Again, per Keith's suggestion anneal the burner first but try to limit the heat application only to the area of tubes where you want to bend them back to shape.

Cheers, Graham.