Lovely Green Enameled Meths stove: French??

Discussion in 'France' started by Doc Mark, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

A while back, my Mother-in-Law asked me if I would look for a French stove for her to use as decoration. Mom has always decorated her nice home in the French style, and decided that I should find her a stove. So, I went about it, got some suggestions here (Thanks, Mates!), and began looking for Mom's stove.

I found two on the same night, on French eBay, and took screen shots of them both, then emailed them to my MIL. She loved a green enameled one, but when I told her the size, she fell out of love with it, and asked me to get the other one for her, which was a single burner Meths stove. (Now she wants me to get her a nice brass, or copper tea pot to go with it!) But, back to the story at hand. I had bought both stoves, and so we ended up with the larger one, which was one of those lovely enameled stoves, like the ones that @optipri , our friend, Bo, loves to so much, and has posted here!!

But, our stove has scant markings, and so I'm only guessing that it's French. It might be from another Country. But, for now, I'm happily calling it French!!

Here are some photos that I snapped, once we took delivery. The stove is in very nice condition, except for one tin priming pan, which was really bent out of shape. I bent it back as best I could, and though I'd have to solder it. But, after mucking about with it, the darned thing may work just fine. We'll see soon.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Other than the cast iron stars decorating this lovely stove, these "A" stamps, denoting Alcohol, I'm guessing, are the only markings I can find.

17.jpg
    18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I'm hoping I can test this neat and lovely Fellow soon, and when that happens, I'll add the photos here. If any of you have any information about this stove, I'd love to hear it, please. Huge thanks to @optipri , @presscall , and posthumously, to @shagratork , our dear departed friend, Trevor, for all the posts and information that you Gentlemen have generously shared here. It has helped me a great deal, and I hope to learn more about this particular stove, too, as time passes. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - Mom LOVES her little French stove! It's grey enamel, and has French castings as part of the stove. Good to keep the MIL happy, especially when it comes to getting her "into stoves"!!

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      200.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Oooh aaahh! Very pretty!

Cheers

Tony

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Has France written all over it.

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

HI, Guys,

Thank you for your kind comments. I, too, think that it's of French origin! Now, @Marc , looks like some A$$H**E bought that stove you listed!!! I wonder if it was one of us??!?!! :whistle: :whistle::-$ :-$ :D/:lol::content: Thanks!! I'd better not let Mom see this one, she might want to have TWO smaller French stoves!! YIKES!! Thanks for the head's up! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, All,

Well, the Frenchie did fire up. Needs some definite work on the right burner, but the left one was burning nice and strong, despite the buffeting winds outside tonight! The right burner just struggled along, and finally gave up the ghost. I also realize that I didn't put enough Meths in the fuel tank, worrying about a massive leak problem. So, I'll pull whatever is inside the fuel feeding tubes, and clean them out, replacing whatever "wick" material I find, if necessary. Here we go:

E.jpg

The right burner was barely able to send some blue flame to the burner ring holes. I'm guessing it's pretty much clogged.

D.jpg

The left burner would easily sustain a nice boil, had I put in enough fuel.

C.jpg

So, a little more work, and I think this French stove will be running quite nicely, with both burners!! Thanks for checking it out, and have a great evening! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Only other stove Ive seen that colour was a lilor also French

8. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Hah! That's hilarious!

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

Last night, I disassembled the fuel feed tubes from the stove. As suspected the one for the right burner seems clogged a bit, and the left one passes air quite nicely. I need to remove the cable that runs through each tube, and clean them, but they are both stuck, fast, right now. So, it appears some soaking in the ATF/Acetone mix is in order. I don't want to break anything by using brute force to get those cables, or whatever they are, out. And, on the other end, each tube has a brass ferrule/fixture, which are also stuck. From the looks of them, someone in the past used an improper tool to try and remove those. Sheesh!! Anyway, here's how all that looks:

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

I'm wondering if there isn't some graphite, or some sort of seal, behind those brass fixtures. Have any of you ever removed something like this, from a similar Meths stove? @optipri , @presscall , Bo and John, have either of you ever gotten into one of these gravity-fed French stoves? Is so, do you have any advice on how I should proceed from here? Soaking and heating, maybe? Thanks for any info you can send my way. I look forward to getting the right and left burners both working the way they should. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    I’ve not got to grips with that particular model Mark but I’m aware that alongside the ‘alcool’ fuelled types virtually identical models fuelled by ‘essence’ (gasoline) were marketed - the latter a bad accident waiting to happen should a leak occur between fuel tank and burner.
    As you’ve said, that ‘A’ marking and the decent performance (of one burner at least) on alcohol suggests you’ve been spared the death-trap version at least!
    So, to the problem. A vaporising tube blockage can be a real pain. The worst I’ve had to deal with was THIS one. The ‘filter’ had bonded itself to the vapourising tube - steel in the filter construction had reacted to water in the fuel and the swelling of the steel sheathing due to corrosion had locked it solid.

EEBA1418-128A-4A7D-AD9B-3F60ED1E0654.jpeg

I resorted to surgery and subsequent silbrazing to effect a repair. Time and the chemical soak you’re proposing could work, depending on what’s been going on in that tube.

The ferrules you’re directing attention to are at the control spindle end of the vaporising tube evidently. Usually on a gravity-fed meths burner there’s no such component - the threaded spindle simply screws into the internal threads of the vaporising tube. I’m supposing that the component is a legacy of the gasoline-fuelled version of the stove, carried over to the alcohol type.
    With gasoline as the fuel there’d have to be a stuffing-box containing a seal as you suggest. It’s not contending with pressurised fuel so could just be graphite-impregnated yarn, or an asbestos equivalent. The component should unscrew, helped by a quick zap with a blowtorch flame.
    Some initial thoughts there, hopefully of use.

John

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  11. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Mark @Doc Mark
    I think it’s a flamme bleue the same make as @presscall has posted in this months competition.
    I recently turned a Flamme Bleue down at an antique fair, in the same enamel finish as your’s, but with tanks on the sides the same as John’s and more importantly it had the barrel knobs!
    I thought they were home made additions but obviously not.
    The seller who was FRENCH was saying that it was used in a vineyard Hence the barrels, which I took with a handful of salt!

I hope this is of interest.

Nick

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @presscall , and @nmp ,

John and Nick, many thanks for the information! I've run some penetrating oil, from my gunsmithing kit, down inside both fuel tubs, and though it took all day, on the right tube, the fluid finally ran all the way through it. I'll add more today, and maybe a tad of heat, and see if that helps loosen the rods. As I don't plan on using this stove on a regular basis, I'm not in a hurry to get all this done. The fact that "some" Meths did get past the blockage in that recalcitrant tube, gives me hope that all will be well in the end.

Nick, thank you for helping with the identity of this fun stove. Much appreciated. Those barrel knobs seem to have been used on other brands, too, though. What makes me think you are right, is that, not only are the barrel knobs there, but also the brass fixtures on that end of the fuel tubes are the same, AND, from a photo that @optipri , Bo, posted, it appears that the letter "A" is cast into the underneath side of the frame, below each fuel tube entrance. Ours has that same stuff. Look here for Bo's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, ours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very, very close, I think. What say you two, Gentlemen? So, assuming this IS a "Flamme Bleue", would it then date to around 1913-1915? Seems right to me. Again, what do you Guys think? Thanks, again, to you both, for your insightful, and informative info! Nick are you sorry you didn't get that Flamme Bleue that you saw at the Antique Faire? What was the seller asking for it? Mine came from France, and the sellers were very nice, indeed. Extra careful packing, and they removed the fuel tank, which I asked them to do, to help keep things from breaking. It would be super cool to "find" one at a Faire, as you did! Talk to you both soon, and as always, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

13. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

You’ve got me confused Nick, because a Flamme Bleue kerosene stove (fuel tank each end) doesn’t have regulating burners, so no control knobs. Not sure what you saw. Mark’s alcohol stove could be made by F-B but that pattern of stove is generic and F-B are likely to have branded their product.
    Matador’s offering in that stove pattern ...

02C6154E-88B4-4D23-A072-E38A4547C8BC.jpeg

@Doc Mark Sounds promising with the solvent soak Mark.

14. nmp

@presscall
    John you must be right it was a couple of months ago and a brief conversation with the vendor and saw several that day so probably conflated the two! Old age is creeping up.the one I am thinking of definitely had barrel knobs.
    Sorrow have posted a red herring](*,)
    Embarrassed Nick

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, John and Nick,

I'm very much enjoying this continuing dialog! Thanks, to you both!

NO worries, Nick, and no red herring, IMHO. John, I looked as carefully as I could, at the Matador, and all other similar stoves, and the one Bo showed us, is as close to ours as they get. The Matador has too many straight lines in it's form, and uses large, brass nuts on the regulating end, whereas the Flamme Bleue has more attractive, tapered fixtures. Our stove, whomever made it, has softer flowing lines, and, to my eye, is very close to Bo's. One other thing that I noticed, is that our stove has a very high quality of enameling, whilst many of the others look more cheaply made, and not so nice. Again, it's all supposition, on my part. But, when comparing this stove, to all others like it here in the Reference Gallery, Bo's stove is the closest to ours. Of course, "looks like" is no proof, at all!!! But, it's fun to engage in such things..... sometimes!! Thanks, again, to you both, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

16. nmp

@Doc Mark
    Yes I do regret it not buying at a price of £35 on one level ,but I'm reaching saturation point with stoves and prefer the outfits such as pocket outfits and compact outfits by Condrop or stoves in cook sets so am trying to be a bit more selective. (and failing miserably!) As usual it’s the hunt and then getting them working which I enjoy most!
    Cheers Nick

17. nmp