Lux 1906-14

Discussion in 'Lux' started by Christer Carlsson, May 26, 2011.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

A nicely patinated old stove from Lux. No model number engraved on it, but possibly a No.9, or a forerunner of it.

1306437990-lux1.jpg

The pot stands are missing, as are the entire box with all accessories.
    And as you all can see, the burner aren't from Lux! It's the alcohol fuelled version of Primus 4115 (or 4116?).
    The transport cap and pump lid is also from Primus, which of course only indicates that the stove has been well used since it needed replacement parts. To use another brands part were a natural thing to do since most things were standardized, and to choose Primus would be easy since they were the largest company (Lux was probably not even existant at that time).

The burner is a case of it's own! It has never been used.
    Perhaps someone picked this stove out from its hiding-place during the crisis of WW2. It would have been old even then!
    But the lack of fossile fuels might have called for an alcohol fueled adaption as we so often see here during those years, so maybe this spirit burner was purchased just for this event, but then never actually came to use?
    Wild speculations here. But regardless which, I will keep it this way since it was the way I found it, and it is part of its history.

1306437990-lux1.jpg 1306437997-lux2.jpg 1306438013-lux4.jpg 1306438019-lux5.jpg 1306438025-lux6.jpg 1306438031-lux7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Congratulations, Christer.

Simply incredible! Do you consider adding pot supports?

Yonadav

3. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi christer what a wonderfull stove in every sense the engraving espesically on the filler cap is superb a fantastic addition to your collection.
    I agree with you 100% in leaving it as you found it i love the rich golden patina it would be criminal to have it cleaned and polished and loose it's beautifull patina,a real antique stove with that has plenty of history behind it

4. Christer Carlsson

Thanks guys!

Yonadav- no I don't think I will try to add pot rests since I hardly will be using this stove. It will fill the place with "historically interesting stoves". :lol:

Brian- it's good to know you're with me here!
    Nothing beats brass that has this dull golden glow.
    Don't get me wrong! I sure like polished stuff, but they don't have any soul.
    To me polishing is the last resort when things just are to bad from the start...

5. steve1000

Wow. Outstanding! I'm a big fan of leaving the polishing compound in the drawer, and this is a great example of the results of a hands off policy. That thing looks like a bar of gold! (Super nice photos as well...)

6. RonPH

Christer, lovely stove even if the burner and reserve cap is from a different primus model :thumbup: A shelf queen it will be now :roll:

Ron

7. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

That stove is very sexy.Great legs, great caps and nice patina

8. threedots New Zealand

Hello Christer.
    I like the Lux styling. Good old fashioned quality and charactor, that is made to last forever.
    It's a shame that it wasn't complete but it is still a nice little unit. Cheers, John

9. nzmike

It has interesting lumps, bumps and castings, good stuff! :thumbup:

10. Christer Carlsson

Yes, it's a nice piece and in just the condition I want them.
    Like a bar of gold, as Steve1000 said.

The burner might come in handy if I ever get a Primus of the model that uses this kind.